Billy Joel vs. Elton John? Who's your piano man?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Matt L, Dec 28, 2012.

Billy Joel or Elton John?

1. Billy Joel

2. Elton John

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

EJ never took heroin. Where did you get that?

Happened once.

Tiny Montgomery likes this.
  2. gigs

gigs Member

Elton for me. Lots more better songs with much better lyrics. (He gets credit for hiring someone to help him with the lyrics).

Billie Joel lyrics always seemed a bit schmaltzy to me, he would have benefited from lyricist help like Elton John did.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  3. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

Riiiiight. So all those people who say that the blue collar image of BJ is what speaks to them are,... what? Inventing an image? If you can't see there's an image, you better take off those rose-colored glasses of yours.

BT didn't write a song. He wrote the lyrics. EJ wrote the music. It's a songwriting team.

OK, you must be trolling because nobody could be that clueless and blind about how great a talent EJ is. His songs might not be to your liking but that's an enormous musical blind spot you have if you can't even give credit to the guy's playing, songwriting, and singing abilities.

If you honestly believe EJ's success is on reprising a single song once in almost a 1/4 of a century, that's utterly laughable. And FYI, in 1974, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road came out and sold twice as many copies as Piano Man. ;)

4. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

I’m tired of removing spaces from your quoted posts.

Chick who got into a car wreck?!?
    Jayne Mansfield?!?
    :dunno

:rotflmao

5. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

To reply to the actual OP,...

They're both terrific with the chops to explain their multi-decade careers. I don't find one is infinitely superior to the other and have place in my heart and in my record shelf for both artists' albums.

My favorite BJ song is Captain Jack (studio version). Also like Honesty and a bunch of other hits. My favorite album of his is this one. Terrific performances and sound quality throughout. Only available on vinyl or bootlegs on YouTube. Great show.

[​IMG]

As for EJ, I connect with a bit more of his songs. Though GYBR is my favorite album, my very favorite song of his has to be Someone Saved My Life Tonight.

Whoever says EJ can't rock clearly hasn't cranked this monster up. Just drums, bass, and EJ live. Killer from start to finish.

[​IMG]

DTuned and Tiny Montgomery like this.
  6. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I believe Elton John is the primary songwriter on the almost all of his albums - and Bernie Taupin was the lyricist - except for a few songs.

7. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Billy Joels image is that he is Billy Joel. That his songs appeal to the "blue collar" people means nothing other than that they identify with his songs. That has little to do with his image, and everything to do with his creative abilities. He didn't dress up in absurd costumes and didn't need to jump around the stage, because he didn't need to take the emphasis off of the songs and onto the show, because with BJ, the songwriting and musical talent IS the show.
    He didn't need to dress up like an aligator or a duck or wear big silly looking glasses as if he was entertaining a kindergarten class. The music alone is enough.

And, the lyrics are the most important part of most pop music. The music is mostly incidental. As opposed to a rock n roll artist like Billy Joel in which the music is every bit as much a focus as the lyrics.
    Take BTs lyrics away from EJs music and take the producers and extreme other talent involved, and what have you got? Instrumental dinner club music.

I was a bit of an Elton John fan early on, mostly because of Madman Across the Water, until I realized that how good his albums were depended more on the talents of the people he worked with than him. Again, take away Bernie Taupin, Gus Dudgeon, and Paul Buckmaster and what have you got?
    And that with each album and personel change, the music changed.
    BJs music is all his and very consistent. He sounds like him no matter what, not like those who surround him.

8. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

Uh, no. His songs are ABOUT blue collar people. He comes from a blue collar town.

So I guess The Beatles are also talentless hacks? After all, they dressed up in funny costumes more than once. Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, etc. Did I mention your arguments are bulletproof?

Guess we'll have to add The Who, AC/DC, Guns & Roses, and a bunch of others to the list as being talentless hacks too because jumping on stage = removing attention from the song because the material is substandard. Got it. Again, bulletproof!

[​IMG]

Says you. I disagree.

Horse manure and hilarious ignorant. Stick your favorite lyrics on crap music and you think it'd catch on? Yeah, OK.

I'm convinced you're deaf. A song is its whole ; music, lyrics (if there are any), production, other band members (if there are any), etc.

And if you think that River Of Dreams wouldn't sound like muzak if you removed the vocal performance and other attributes, that's a level of deafness I can't even fathom.

I see the problem. Your measure of talent is extremely narrow-minded and you believe anyone outside of that isn't talented. That's purely a colossal failure on your part to recognize how putting an album out is a collaborative effort. You think BJ's work wouldn't have been impacted if you had removed Ramone, Liberty, and a bunch of others? Talk about just not getting it.

Right. River Of Dreams sounds exactly like Piano Man. Again, a deafness of extreme level that you have, sir.

9. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

More crazy talk.

Reg Dwight.

Beano Addict likes this.
  10. KHAN

KHAN Member

Early to mid '70's they were both great. It's not really fair because Billy wrote the music and lyrics.

Elton and Bernie by a wide margin for me.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  11. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

You are just making stuff up that has no basis in the real world.

The bottom line is, if you sent EJ into a room with a piano and a pencil and paper, and sent BJ into a room with a pencil and paper, then had both go perform what they wrote on stage, Billy Joel would perform a song.
    EJ would perform some light pop instrumental dinner club music and be without any words to sing to it.

Also, I am a student of music, educated in it. I also am educated in lyric writing.
    I also have a very wide range of tastes in music.
    There is absolutely nothing narrow about any of my views.
    The difference between you and I is that I don't base my views on any kind of bias toward an artist, I simply call it as my very capable, educated mind sees it.

You got nothing, junior.

12. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

13. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Unless you count when he sounded like an adult contemporary Frankie Valli knock-off.

Telefunky likes this.
  14. Sam Hill

Sam Hill Member

And if this argument doesn't convince you, nothing will. ;)

Beano Addict and Telefunky like this.
  15. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

OK here's what we've learned so far:

Elton stinks at playing piano.
    Elton has been rehashing one song for 50 years.
    Elton needs gimmicks and heroin to attract an audience.
    Elton needs an entire team of writers and producers to prop him up.

Some ask why the guitar is dying, and this thread reveals the answer; stupidity.

16. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

Hahaha! Good one! Oh, you were being serious? Yikes.

Whelp, good luck with trying to successfully pass yourself as educated in music. Nobody fitting that description would refuse to recognize a major talent like Elton John regardless of their preference towards another performer.

Your post is unbelievably rich in light of your typical MO which befits your description to a tee. Spreading the most inane half-cooked theories and then insinuating anybody who disagrees with you is an idiot regardless of the fact that your stances almost always as solid as a house of cards on a tornado isn't impressing anyone.

I've outright schooled you in other threads including this one. You have yet to address any of my points which is unsurprising. Not challenging but par for the course. Oh well,... hopefully you can go home with your tail between your legs, take some time to brush up on how to recognize real talent, and perhaps take a couple of classes on how to properly argue when somebody brings up a point to easily annihilate those ridiculous notions you call an educated opinion.

Using words like "junior" is something you've done many times in the past when you're at a loss to argue effectively. At least, you're consistent.

Better luck next time... son. ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    IGuitUpIGuitDown and Telefunky like this.
  17. KHAN

KHAN Member

The need to belittle each other here is strong today.

Even a lengend is fair game it seems.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  18. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

But, could EJ do better, no less write classical?

19. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

Do yourself a favor and look up EJ's musical education. He ditched classical because he wasn't interested in it.

Writing classical pieces isn't the epitome of talent. Unless you believe Horowitz was a hack because he played Rachmaninoff instead of writing his own material?

20. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not saying, just asking.