• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Binding install...when?

bluz4u

When should i install my creme colored binding on my top routed tele body?. It is going to be stained in a light mohogany on the back and the Les Paul "goldtop" finish on the top.
Can it be installed before any color coats or after a primer/sealer is applied? To me it seems that if i installed the binding after color coats,it could be a time saver and scrap it only once,but that's why here to ask the experts...so thank's in advance!

Keyser Soze

Too much risk of the routing process damaging a recently applied finish. You need to install the binding first and scrape it level, then finish. If you use quality finishing tape and work carefully the amount of paint scraping prior to clear coating should be minimal. Even if not, this approach is less likely to yield visible defects.

Structo

I would install the binding first.
Scrape it flush.

Some people are able to scrape any finish off of the binding but for me since I was applying multiple passes of stain I chose to tape off the binding using vinyl pinstriping tape.
That way I was able to leave it masked until it was time for the clear coat.

Trending Topics