1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Birds of a feather flocking at my place (Soloway content)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mprvise, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mprvise

mprvise Member

Last July I bought a Soloway Swan - amazing guitar that really doesn't see near enough gig duty. I love the way it plays and sounds, but for some gigs there are tones I need that the 2 P90 guitar just doesn't do as well as others I have. Plus, the Swan I have is so beautiful (IMO) that I only take it to gigs where there is virtually no chance of any kind of accident. Lately, the guitar seeing the most gig duty is my Tele (Danny Gatton sig).

Early last week Jim asked me if I'd like to try one of his latest creations - a demo "T-Swan". Well YEAH! The guitar arrived Friday and I was immediately impressed and made the decision to take it to a gig the next night. Ended up running the T through a JRT 9/15 and Dr Z 4X10, with a Gaspedal Dumbbell handling additional gain duties. What a fantastic guitar! It FEELS like a Swan, has that piano-like ring of a Swan, but sounds like a Tele! But like a Tele with something more, and that's hard to put into words - it's more full sounding, more balls maybe, great clarity and chime, bigger lows - all that for sure, but those words don't really do it justice. My bandmates and several folks in the crowd made it a point to tell me (multiple times) how good the guitar sounded. Two of my bandmates kept saying "You're going to buy it aren't you?" Well, no - this bird is a demo and is on a mission. Will I order one? Yep - it's next on the list.

So Jim, congrats on another fine creation, and thanks for the opportunity to try it out first hand. To the next lucky recipient, I'll get it mailed out on Tuesday so you should have it by the weekend. But I'll warn you - you will likely find yourself wanting one of your own! :cool:

[​IMG]

2. TheOneOff

TheOneOff Silver Supporting Member

I still have some great masterbuilt, boutique, custom shop guitars that I really enjoy playing, but since receiving my Soloway, its by far my #1 goto guitar. :RoCkIn

3. scott

scott Supporting Member

4. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I really like the look of both those guitars. The "T-Swan" looks really cool in that picture. It also strikes me that they both really look longnecked. I'm happy, but not surprised, thet you like the "T-swan" I'm waiting for my blue MOTO monster T which is something like 5 weeks away right now (my 4th blue Soloway :p).

5. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

I had the fortune of having this machine in my possession last week. Interestingly, I too have another swan with those Blade VV p-90 type pickups. I should have taken a picture of the two together, but I didn't think about it.

The T-swan is excellent. I agree that it has all the qualities of a Swan and all of the tone of a real tele. And I'm a big fan of real teles who thinks that they were done just about right from the beginning.

Here's a clip of that T-swan - http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/TennStud.mp3

6. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

GREAT clip, my first Swan (Danny named after Mr Gatton) has VV blade P90 pickups and I was concerned that the T-Swan might be to close sonically as "Danny" is a chambered ash guitar. Seems like I have no further cause to worry ;). My T-Swan will have a VV CC pickup in the neck, did i mention MOTO... look out :crazyguy

7. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I played it at NAMM in the D'Marzio booth. What a great guitar - huge lows, and plenty highs, but the 27" scale makes the highs sound so round and full it's incredible.

The highs are very present, but no in the least bit ice-picky. Amazing guitar.

Dana O.