• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Birth year guitar advice

fatoni

I was born in 1985 and I'm thinking about buying a guitar of that year before it gets too old.

I was also in the market for a Gibson scale. I don't think a super strat is going to replace my Suhrs. Can't really afford a prs of that year either. Right now I'm leaning towards an Es335. Not sure if now is the time to buy one if those though.

Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

thefett

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a 335 for my 40th this year. I have always wanted a birth year guitar and I was after a nice 335. This fit the bill and was in excellent shape. A one owner 40 year old guitar. I swapped out the dirty fingers for Wolfetone Marshallheads and it is one of my favorite guitars I’ve ever owned.
if you have an idea of what you want go for it. Prices will always be all over the place for older gear.Unfortunately for me the LP customs around 81 are fetching stupid money. Eventually I’ll get one once the market calms down with those a bit (probably not likely).

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
My advice is to get over it and if you happen to find a guitar built the year of your birth and you like it then buy it and don’t worry about what it is.

fatoni

Take it easy guys. Ha ha. I don't have any strong allegiance to the idea. I just happen to be an age where, for guitars, it's going to be exceedingly difficult to do this in the future.

I also happen to be looking for an Es335 and I was hoping to maybe get some info on what's going on with those from the 80s.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
PRS if you can find and afford one from their 1st year of production. Myself, I’m the original owner of an ‘86.

hawk101

I bought birth year guitars for my kids - American Standard Strats. Figured it might offer some return on investment when they get old.

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
Buy before you can’t afford to.

That’s all I got.
Yeah, the idea occurred to me a few years ago, but I was very unhappy when browsing for guitars from 1967.

Not sure why it’s such a mystery why this would be appealing. People celebrate their birthdays every year—that, I consider a bit nonsensical and narcissistic. But a thing you can play and love and love with for the rest of your life, that was built the same year you were… that’s just for you and it’s kinda nice. Anything that adds a little bit of sentimental significance to something you live with is nice, and I’m typically a pretty unsentimental person.

fatoni

I completely understand the sentimental birth-year nostalgia stuff. These were the guitars (or cars, for that matter) that inspired us when we were kids. So I have a couple from that 70s that take me straight back to that childhood feeling of awe in some way. Little touches like the way they used to use green felt as a padding (my 77' SG) on everything.

But for you -- 1985? Shouldn't you get a guitar that was iconic for that time? Something that represents the 1980s? Like a Steinberger or one of those Van Halen shredder guitars or something? I'm not sure I see the point in buying a 1985 version of a guitar designed in 1959. :dunno

Yeah the problem is I don't care enough about my birth year to buy a redundant guitar. I have two suhr moderns that both sit squarely in that super strat area that so much of the 80s were dominated by.

sunking101

Yeah, the idea occurred to me a few years ago, but I was very unhappy when browsing for guitars from 1967.

Not sure why it’s such a mystery why this would be appealing. People celebrate their birthdays every year—that, I consider a bit nonsensical and narcissistic. But a thing you can play and love and love with for the rest of your life, that was built the same year you were… that’s just for you and it’s kinda nice. Anything that adds a little bit of sentimental significance to something you live with is nice, and I’m typically a pretty unsentimental person.
...but it isn't sentimental is it? Some other geezer has owned it for X number of years before you get it and then bam....you acquire it and it's suddenly somehow instantly sentimental? How? I'm sorry but I just don't get it.:confused:

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
...but it isn't sentimental is it? Some other geezer has owned it for X number of years before you get it and then bam....you acquire it and it's suddenly somehow instantly sentimental? How? I'm sorry but I just don't get it.:confused:
I don’t think I would consider who owned it before me. For me, it’s not about Me owning it since it was built. It’s just a thing that came into existence with me, in a vague sense. As I said, I’m not sentimental, but when I was thinking about buying a Strat a few years ago, and considered vintage, it popped into my head that, instead of some random year, it would be cool to have something from 1967. It’s not as if I’d constantly be thinking about it. It would just be like a ‘bonus characteristic.’ The only other birth year objects I might want to have would be a watch or a car.

Maybe ”sentimental” is the wrong word in my case. Or maybe that word means more or less to each of us?

Strummerfan

I was born in 1985 and I'm thinking about buying a guitar of that year before it gets too old.

I was also in the market for a Gibson scale. I don't think a super strat is going to replace my Suhrs. Can't really afford a prs of that year either. Right now I'm leaning towards an Es335. Not sure if now is the time to buy one if those though.

Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
If you can find one, a Vantage 635V from that year is a great guitar and not that expensive. Made by Samick. I bought mine new in the late 80's and still love it.

Strummerfan

Yeah the problem is I don't care enough about my birth year to buy a redundant guitar. I have two suhr moderns that both sit squarely in that super strat area that so much of the 80s were dominated by.
So why but a birth year guitar at all? I never even heard of the idea until I saw threads about it on this site, and I've been playing guitar for 38 years, bought and sold more than 50, played in a few bands and surrounded myself with musicians my whole adult life. I suggested the Vantage, because they are great guitars, but I kind of think the whole birth year guitar thing is kind of silly. If I wanted one, I'd be firmly in vintage territory, 1968, so good luck with that on my salary.

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
Bought a Birthday year guitar
1965 Gibson LG 0 I think.

It’s a student model that had a plastic bridge on it held on with screws inside the body. That’s how it was made.

Common to do this; I removed the bridge and had a real rosewood replacement put on with a bone bridge.

Now it’s a warm old mahogany guitar that’s not too loud.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom