Birthday coming help me buy a amp want to spend money

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by g335, May 7, 2008.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

My birthday is coming and I want to buy a new amp. A fun amp.
    I play all kinds of music, rock, jazz, blues, etc. I have a ACC15 right now and its a good amp but I want a different sound to go with it. Before I was choosing between a AC30 x2cc and a Marshall but now I don't know exactly now that I have the money. People have suggested a JCM800 before but every time I think about it, it reminds me of that 80's hair metal sound which I don't like. Some groups I like are The Cure, New Order, Soundgarden, AC/DC, The Police, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Tool, Oasis, Van Halen, Rush, Led Zepplin BB king, etc.

I want something I can play in small clubs and well as med sized places. Something that will sound good with my 335 and Jazzmaster.

I have looked at Mesa, Marshall, Fender, Vox, and more. Some of the amps people suggest I never see here in Japan so I cannot find them unless I go and visit home in the states.
    Please give me your thoughts and suggestions, buying next week I have about 1000 dollars to spend

Help:crazyguy

2. g335

g335 Member

Really?::confused: When I used to work at a music store in the states, I tried line 6 alot and could never like them. I hate their digital artifacts their amps give out and that too digital compressed sound. They have changed? The only modeling amp that I think is any good right now is the Vox series of amps and they use a tube too.

3. g335

g335 Member

Ok

Thank you, I will look for it and try it out while I am searching for a amp.

Hope they have one here in Tokyo.

Any other suggestions?

4. MartinC

MartinC Member

Hello again!

As I mentioned in your other thread ... try a Hughes & Kettner Statesman. The H&K website lists a Japanese distributor so you might be able to try one out. I have a 40W Quad EL84 1x12 combo and love it. They also do a 60W 6L6 2x12 that would give you a bit more power and headroom, or an EL34 50W head. They're geared towards classic rock/blues/roots/country tones.

5. g335

g335 Member

I will try that out. But looking for something I can cover modern stuff too. I have played their amps before at the store and they sounded good but super expensive here

6. g335

g335 Member

How about Mesa's?

7. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Check out a non-master volume JCM 800 Model 1959 with a couple of 4x12.

With a few of the right pedals you could get all of the tones you want, and if you're ever able to really turn it up you'll be treated to the best rock tone you've ever heard. The tone is far from the buzzy master volume Marshalls used by the hair bands. I think it's the classic rock rig.

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

Reeves Custom 18 or Custom 30

Also look at the very cool amps from Reinhardt.

If you really want a great amp within your budget, you may want to
    look at the Ceriatones as well.

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

Happy birthday.

10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Absolutely!

I used to have a JCM 800 full stack as my bedroom amp! :D

Seriously though, it does have a volume knob...In case you can't tell, I'm just not an 18 watt 1x12 kind of guy...at least not in public.

Show up at a small club with a Marshall full stack and you'll not be forgotten quickly...he did say rock didn't he? Oh, that's right he also mentioned jazz and blues...oh well.

:RoCkIn

(Disclamer: I've been listening to way too much Trivium and Children of Bodom recently he..he)

11. g335

g335 Member

Thank you

I will give the Jcm 800 a try at the store. Will look for the other amps.

I did play the Marshall 1987x combo before and it sounded good, but didn't know if 18 watts be too small but I do own a Vox AC15cc. Is there enough of a sound difference between the Vox Ac15cc(30's too) and JCM 800 or 1987x amps? I know that they are different amps but they are both supposed to get that British sound. Stupid question I think:NUTS

What about the SuperSonic or Hot Rod Deluxe? I just want a different sound from the Vox.