Birthday coming Help me spend money

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by g335, May 7, 2008.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

Birthday is coming and I want to buy something. I have been saving money and want to spend!!!!!!!

I want a guitar. I play all kinds of music, I like all kinds of music, stuff like the Cure, New Order, Lush, Soundgarden, AC/DC, Police, etc.

I have a Gibson 335 and a MIJ Jazzmaster. But dont play them so much now. I want something fun to play. Something that will keep me running home to play everyday.
    I have about 1000 dollars to spend give or take $100.

Used or new is fine as long as fun. I don't know if I want a Les paul, Strat, Tele, a emg pickup guitar for metal, another semi hollow, . Epiphone and maybe MIJ Fender or MIM Fender and two for the money. Schecter Tempest Black Jack, or Ultra 3.

Help

I live in Japan and where I live I can't play all of the guitars I have seen on Musicians friends and other places.

Please give me thoughts and suggestions.:JAM

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

In your price range I'd probably recommend a Strat. Whammy bars are fun!

3. DonM

DonM Member

we have had good luck with the 50's and 60's made in mexico teles here, just swap pups and they KiCk!!!

4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

5. g335

g335 Member

Oh I can buy from the states, it just I don't go home often so hard to try guitars here if they don't have them.
    I can get anything from the states mailed here.

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

What kind of amp do you have?

A nice amp would keep you running home to play as much as a new guitar would ...

7. g335

g335 Member

AC15cc I am looking for a new amp too now

8. MartinC

MartinC Member

OK ... so you have a nice amp ... was just checking as I think a great amp + average guitar keeps you playing longer than an average amp and a great guitar.

My vote would go to an American Deluxe strat and a Hughes & Kettner Statesman Quad or Dual EL84 ... but I don't know what your amp budget is. They'd make a fine pair!

9. g335

g335 Member

How about a Epiphone Les Paul and a CIJ Strat. Or CIJ Strat and a CIJ Tele?
    Two for one?

Help

10. aquadog

aquadog Member

Check out the G&L guitars with the z-coil pickups, particularly the comanche (as it has the PTB system, which is a bass and treble control instead of tone, incredibly versatile, and a mini switch for more pickup combinations).

That will give you an incredibly wide variety of tones, which considering you do not know what you want exactly, would fit the bill perfectly

and they are just plain sexy
    [​IMG]

11. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

My birthday is May 21st and I've already purchase a Korg Pitchblack for myself. I keep trying to talk the wife into an ES 339 but that would be out of your budget. May I suggest an American Standard Tele in ash with a maple neck. It's the best possible combination for a guitar. Trust me, and it can be had for around $1000.

12. g335

g335 Member

I have been thinking about a tele. I was thinking maybe split the money in half and buy a tele and a strat(CIJ or MIM) Good idea? Wish I could play the Schecter Ultra 3, looks nice. They have some of the Gretsch Eletromatic Projets for only about 600 dollars at this store here. What about the Electromatic new G5122 Double cut away guitar?

A few more days to go.

Help

13. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Try a 2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster...redesigned...unbelieveably amazing guitars for right around $1000.00. I just bought one...under 8 lbs and tone, tone, tone!

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

A lot of people that live here in the USA are unhappy that they can't get CIJ Fenders here, I certainly wouldn't overlook those if I lived in Japan.

15. g335

g335 Member

They are good, really good. They have vintage necks compared to the MIM. When I last played a MIM a few years ago back home, they were good but not as good as the CIJ. I am surprised that they put real USA pick ups in their 500-700 range of CIJ's. I guess from what I have read, the electronics are the only thing needing to be upgraded. I am looking at a CIJ 62 tele deluxe for about 650 dollars and there is a 62 strat with "American Vintage pick ups in them for around the same price. Hmmm But getting a MIA Tele or Strat may be good. I tried the Highway One tele and did not like it at all, the CIJ tele was better.

What does everyone think about Epiphone les pauls? Good or would a Gibson
    Les Paul Studio be better. I really want to get a good guitar and fun next week. Strats, ahh don't know if I can buy one, still don't like them so much except after seeing The Police live, I keep thinking about the great tone Summers had.

Help

Everyone's posts are helping and I am going to try out as many as the guitars that were suggested if they have them in the stores here. Oh please remember I am using a Vox Ac15cc right now.

Help