Bitches Brew LIVE performance was a success!!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by gennation, Dec 22, 2009.

1. gennation

gennation Member

Sunday night I took the stage with e most naturally gifted musicians I've ever had the pleasure of performing with.

With two drummers, two bassists, two Rhodes players, and two percussionists as the rhythm section, along with bass clarinet, trumpet, soprano sax, and guitar as the soloists we played through:

Pharaoh's Dance
    Spanish Keys
    Sanctuary
    John Mclaughlin
    Bitches Brew
    Miles Runs the Voodoo Down

With over 200 people in attendance the whole theater was buzzing for a one time event of almost 2 hours of a textured landscape of dynamics, color, spontaneity, humbleness, and pure musicianship.

I'll post some pictures and video soon.

With the turn out we had we are thinking of taking the numbers to a couple of clubs and either doing the show again (which we all kind of believe should only be a one time thing), or possibly picking another album to perform. But right now the interest is too much to not keep going for our local fusion community.

Based on the music, covering John's role in the music, playing on stage with these incredible musicians, and a crowd of listeners and other musicians understanding and expecting that sound...it was a very humbling and very cool experience indeed.

Just thought I'd share.

2. fatcontroller

fatcontroller Member

Bitches Brew is my favorite recording of all time. Wish I could have been there (wherever that is...) Awesome and congrats.

(An aside: I got kicked out of a bar once for good-naturedly heckling the 20-something Medeski-Martin and Wood cover band standing all alone in the corner with "Play Bitches Brew!!!!" repeatedly. Too much medicine that night, I'm afraid...)

3. KeyserZoso

KeyserZoso Member

Super cool! Can't wait to see/hear it. Thanks for posting

4. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Very cool! Sounds right up our alley.

Congrats, DS

5. small axe

small axe Member

sweet.....cant believe you know that many musicians who can play miles

6. gennation

gennation Member

It was a pretty sweet project. Our road map was mainly snippets of one line charts outlining the themes to get us going, as well as a soloist line up. Most of the charts where contained the repeating bass lines or maybe the Rhodes themes (Pharaoh's Dance, John Mclaughlin), and the flow of modal interchanges and harmony basis. We just explored and exploded the sound from there.

Spanish Keys was a chart with Miles theme riff, as well as the list of modes to move through the E->D->E-G sections, and the Rhodes cue going into the G Mixolydian section. And of course we have the Bitches Brew intro parts charted and then just some modal idea listed.

Real sketchy 'interpretive' type charts. Sanctuary was the only one that looked more like a full chart then a road map of themes.

I told the guy putting it together that he should try and get his charts/road maps published, and maybe do a seminar on it. I've yet to see anything (other than my own notes) that is that descriptive...and usable...than what he has. If you know of any other info on this material, PLEASE let me know, if only to use it to compare to.

We thought about doing completely our own thing in the spirit of the session but realized there are lot of people that would be expecting many of the same sounds on the record. So it was like an improv'ed interpretation of the music.

I can't release any of my video yet until the leader gets audio/video back from the theater and decides how he wants to release it. I don't want to step on his toes so to speak.

I will post pics shortly though.

7. gennation

gennation Member

I got placed dead center!

This is stage center to stage right:
    [​IMG]

This is stage center (my shadow) to stage left:
    [​IMG]

This is the best full stage shot I have:
    [​IMG]

8. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Did you record it?

9. gennation

gennation Member

I recorded it on a little video cam off stage. But the theater recorded it with full audio and video production.

10. gennation

gennation Member

Haha, funny story fatcontroller. You're a lifer :)