Bitchin' new OD pedal...

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Ed DeGenaro, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

2. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i've got the green marbled one (#6) and while i'm liking it, i'm prolly going to ditch it as i'm digging some different sounds right now.

dave

3. Ed DeGenaro

I didn't like it out of the box with the band, but love how it records.
    Got number 13.

4. flicker180

flicker180 Member

yeah, that mid-boost is GREAT for getting just a buttery warm sound. the od is a little over the top and i normally just run it in the silicon mode (switch towards the back)...less bite and i feel i can get a bit more mileage out of it that way.

oh, and the cost of the thing is prohibitive. :)

dave

5. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

6. glynn

glynn Member

Cool, very gatton-ish attack with a thicker bottom. Top end was really smooth. Was that a bucker or a single?

7. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

love..it..on the edge of heavan!!

8. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

9. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Can someone tell me more about this pedal? Can you use both at once and individually, or is it a Fulldirve kind of setup? Also, how does it compare to say a Hotcake or Fulldrive? Thanks! :)

10. flicker180

flicker180 Member

this pedal is a combination of the Mid-boost pedal and a fuzzy distortion/overdrive.

the mid-boost is very warm and can fatten your sound tremendously (with obvious attention to mid-bass frequencies). It's similar to the comp. cut mode of the FD2 though much warmer.

the overdrive is very hard to describe since it's so gosh-darn tweakable. first off, you can switch between silicon and germanium transistors. the pedal mode is a little more subdued (if i know the switch directions correctly) in the back toggle mode (switch towards the back of the pedal) and more raw in the front toggle mode. There's an internal trim pot that allows for further tweaking of the overdrive on the inside (accessible from the outside with a micro-screwdriver).

i'd say it's a brighter, punchier overdrive than the FD2 and when used correctly, it's powerful. using the mid-boost as a "solo" function is doable but you definitely have to futz around with it a bit to determine how best to use it. It'll definitely add some "punch."

just used it this morning for church and i've definitely decided that with the proper amount of tweaking, this is an OCD, KOB, and FD2 beater. I actually was switching OFF my OCD this morning to use the FOD-1.

just a note: this pedal uses a 1/8" mini plug for power, not the standard barrel connector. Quite irritating, really, as i had to special order the cable from the stomping ground (since i managed to lose the same cable for my PP2). You can also run a 9v battery in there.

dave

11. Ed DeGenaro

12. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Forget the pedal, the PLAYING is whats bitchin'!!! :)

13. fatback

fatback Member

#13 looks sweet. I grabbed #19. It's a mean machine!
    [​IMG]
    I like the pin-striping on the new batch...
    [​IMG]

14. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

Amazing tone and playing Ed.

These days the heart of my main recording and live setup is Maxon OD9 --> Maxon SD9 -->Flexi set clean. Amazing versatility, sound engineer's heads spining! The only bad thing is that my Flexi hasn't seen my house for more than two months, I've got it on a truck that follows the band I am playing with,it carries our backline and I am only picking it up when some studio work shows.
    Those Demeter boxes sound wonderful, I am looking forward to hear a Fulltone OCD and a Tim pedal these days and I am definitely adding Demeter pedals in that list.