BJF again...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by playon, Mar 17, 2006.

1. playon

playon Supporting Member

Finally recieved my BJF Emerald Green Distortion and Honey Bee the other day, after waiting for months. Special thanks for Bjorn for stepping in and expediting things. Won't be able to try them on gigs until next week but I'm looking forward to it.

Tried the HB at a low-volume rehearsal last night & it is yummy! The only thing I didn't like about it, is that it doesn't seem to like chords or playing more than one note at a time, gets a little futzy sounding... however I think probably with a more cranked amp that changes. At any rate, for single-note stuff it was killer with my Tele.

I brought the EGDM to rehearsal too but didn't get a chance to use it much, however I can tell already from fooling around with it at home that it's a super versatile, killer-sounding pedal. It has some of the flavor and response of the the old Baby Blue Overdrive, especially with the tone knob towards the left --but it's a lot more flexible, way more headroom and output, and a little brighter/clearer. The HB into the EGDM is also a very nice cruncy combo. With a treble booster in between, it kills, I have just about all bases covered for dirty sounds.

I really appreciate the small size of the BJF pedals, a lot of sound crammed into a little box, and Bjorn's support is the best. I wish that he wouldn't put the power jacks so close to the input, but that's not a huge deal. They are well worth the $.

2. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Aha! When did you order yours? My wait will be in "months" (2) as of Tuesday...:BOUNCE

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

I ordered the HB from musictoyz.com in December. Finally Bjorn saw a complaint I made about how long it was taking and was so kind as to make sure I got one ASAP. They were just super back-ordered, sounds like they are starting to come out now though.

4. musictoyz.com

musictoyz.com Member

yeah we just 12 Honey Bees in today...all pre-sold...it just seems BJF EXPLODED !! Which is great because his such a great artful guy....

we just need to clone him ! or tri-clone..such a word ?

5. sixkids

sixkids Gold Supporting Member

Hey Teddy,

Email sent. I'll look forward to your reply.

All The Best !!
    Tom

6. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I ordered mine from Dean Farley on February 20. It shipped from Finland on March 10 and arrived in Seattle on March 16.

7. webb

webb Member

I ordered mine the first week in february, Still hasn't showed:confused:

8. KDSI44

KDSI44 Member

i ordered 3 pedals....honey bee, egdm, and sbeq....on feb 20....havent got them yet, but dean says it shouldnt be long....hopefully....he's been great too....thankfully i already have one bee, so im doing ok, but i cant wait to get that emerald with my vox...woo-hoo

9. solo-act

solo-act Member

Having ordered on the 10th of Feb, I'm probably right there on the edge with you guys. I have to fly to Florida tomorrow thru Thurs. So after all this wait, I'm sure the BJFs will arrive while I'm gone HA HA

--E

10. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

Well, I do what I can when asked.

For those waiting on HB's ( and other models) I make all pedals by hand, which takes time, but I also do this fulltime.
    Orders have exploded, that is for sure, and now there are always problems that come with explosions.
    There were many pedals delivered in early january, and more made during NAMM but at the end of january my supplier had no more footswitches and delivery on those had to be endured. When switches came my supplier of batterycaps was outof stock for a while and this put a slight halt to production too.
    Then the paperboxes ran out too.....
    As a pedal manufacturer in Sweden I've seen somethings that never happened to the other guy;). I've had a paintfactory blow up, one footswitch supplier die, and the next one have a heartattack and had deliveries of parts from around the world delayed by weeks, and have had to move my factory and workshop three times, also in the midst of production of in excess of 100 units
    Most of production these days in Sweden is very high tech, and there are no longer smaller workshops that can do mechanical work or painting or assemblying.Just across the Baltic Sea things are so much easier.
    Yada yada, but there are ofcourse ways
    They say BJF pedals and the Dala Horse are the only two products that are still handmade, handpainted and made in Sweden and exported throughout the world

Nah, I would not like to be cloned ;) I am sure my two daughters would enjoy having seven dads reading seven bedtime stories of the pillow though, but really more pedals are heading out the door each week.
    Those that go to US see something like 14 days travell, from factory to warehouse across the big pond to distributors to hopefully happy owners and BJF is distributed all over the world ( one of these days there'll be BJF pedals even on the Faeraeo Islands, one of the most beautiful countries in the world ).

Anyway, all problems for now seem to have been overcome and I work 16 hours a day and 8 days a week, just taking a break as my hands ache.Oh yea I've had 4 days vacation in 5 years.
    I live, dream and eat circuits and have pedals up my eyeballs each day, but I am happy and enjoy my work

Usually I have no idea of who's ordering what or when they do or where in the list that fits in I just see composite orders and there are orders coming in each day of which I see the composite each week.
    My distributors kindly take care of all of that and as such they are my staff and I have good contacts with them weekly or daily as the case may be and so I manage to put out many more pedals than I would if I'd also handle sales, shipping et.c

Harri, my main distributor asked me what I'd do if orders increased with 100 units more per month
    and my reply to that is that I'll find solutions in that case and also have somethings prepared, though
    for the beginning of this year it would not have helped -as supplylines were inconsistent for a while
    and also some confusion in orders during NAMM as every dealer worldwide seems to have placed an order and so.... yes I think one can say things exploded
    I ship a batch each week and next week is honey bee week (again) and I hope and believe everything runs as smoothly as they can considering
    Last year two to three weeks was standard deliverytime including 14 days shipping to US, but then more pedals were in stock at suppliers worldwide and often pedals could be shipped overnight from local distributors. As you can imagine I have no reason to drag my feet as I get paid per shipped unit.

Thank you for your patience gentlemen

BJ

Oh there should be all kinds of models coming in for landing anyday now at a porch near you

11. Garygtr

Are you talking EGDM or Honey Bee? I ordered my Bee fron Dean on January 24th and haven't seen it, so I hope you're talking about an EGDM....:mad:

12. solo-act

solo-act Member

After a post like that from the builder....you're putting on a mad face? I believe there should be a system for letting people know when their pedal ships, or if there's a huge delay. Just like most commerce out there.

However, though I feel that way, I thought the best treatment I could give Bjorn considering what he is trying to do, was to order four pedals and leave him alone......no questions on the gear page, no emails, no phone calls. Leave him to do his work (which he desperately deserves BTW), and my pedals will get here faster.

--E

13. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I was talkin' EGDM. I ordered a Honey Bee a week later and I am still waiting. Dean was very forthcoming and clearly warned me when I placed the order to expect a bit of a wait due to all of the reasons Bjorn just laid out. Dean's info appears to have been very accurate, so I assume there is a clear line of communication between Bjorn and Dean. I knew what I was getting in to and expected the wait. No worries. It will get here when it gets here.
    E

14. rewog

rewog Member

I hope 2 of those have got my name on them Brad.
    Actually one is for me and one for SeanC.
    If you can only let us have one..there's gonna be a fight ! And Sean's bigger than me.......:cool:

15. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

16. Garygtr

Actually I posted that before I read Bjorn's post :eek:
    The thing is, I have been very patient. I have not been bombarding either Dean or Bjorn with emails, I have accepted the explanation I was given about the delay, even though I've been a bit antsy. So when I read that post, the idea that someone who ordered nearly a month after me got their's first was a bit galling to me, hence my asking for clarification as to which pedal he ordered. In hindsight, it was a bit childish and I apologize. :)
    Time for a little reality check as to what really matters in life. :eek:

17. b_rad

b_rad Member

:confused:

That wasn't Brad. :)

Although I did have a batch come in (and go out this week). I still have a ton of people on the waiting list, but they're mostly Honey Bee orders and I ordered ALL Honey Bees this time, so hopefully we will be able to catch up soon.

I can say this with all certainty, although the wait time can be longer than we would like most people are happy to have endured it once they hear the pedals. :)

18. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Very, Very cool clip, Monsieur Munky.
    Would you care to share the set up? Axe? Amp? any other things happenin' in between???

Some BIG soul on that track.

19. Python

Python Member

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. My HB sounds fabulous with chords at low volumes (I only play at low volumes anymore). Where do you have the drive set?

20. rewog

rewog Member

Sorry... confused ??? Doesn't Brad post as UnkleSlam ?

Seeing my credit card hasn't been charged, I guess I missed out on this round of HB's. Do you have any idea when there will be more ?