BJF Baby Pink vs. Sea Blue EQ Boost Level

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Don L, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Don L

Don L Member

Can any of you guys familiar with both pedals tell me the boost level of the two in comparison to each other? I currently use a Baby Pink as my boost pedal with Naylor Super Club 38 during the solos, which is adequate, but sometimes I wish it had just a bit more boost (and dirt sometimes) when engaged. Thanks for your help.

2. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Sorry, I haven't tried both but I've got the SBEQ (Thanks Dean!!).

My guess is that you're looking for the Red Rooster not the SBEQ. I don't believe that the SB has more boost than the Baby Pink (in fact, I think it is less) but the Rooster does have more.

Dean? Oh, Dean......?

3. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I had a Baby Pink a year ago, and use a SBEQ now. From memory, which is notoriously vague, the Baby Pink has slightly more overall boost available, though I never used it cranked up. However, the SBEQ pushes certain frequencies so it sounds bigger and generates more amp distortion. With Fenders, if you pump up the low end going into the amp, it results in more distortion than if you balanced the amount of boost equally between the high and low end.

Best person to email about BJF effects? Bjorn Juhl, of course! You can find his email address through his username here (BJF).

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

What about the Red Rooster Booster?

5. Brakhage

Brakhage Member

Don...e-mail sent. Thanks.

6. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

Hi Jamie,
    The BPB has up to +18 dB of transparent boost available while the RRB has up to +33 dB of boost. Plus the RRB adds some of its own "sonic character" to the sound that is boosted. The BPB is also a buffered device so you can drive very long lengths of cable with it too. I love them both and own them both. BJF pedals are very very good in every respect. I have the highest regards for both the pedals and their designer.

Best,
    Dean:dude

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Dean,

So do you recommend the RRB close to the guitar in the signal chain the BPB near the amp at the end of the run, or do they go well anywhere?

Do you place your boost before or after the SBEQ?

8. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

Hi Last Nerve,

I put the RRB either at the start of my OD/Booster chain (or maybe after three distortion pedals into the line) with the BPB at the end (because it's buffered) OR right before the SBEQ (if that is in the chain as well). Many, MANY possibilities here for proper positioning! It is best to listen to all of the pedals & make them all compliment each other as they stack up from one to the other all the way to the end. This can take some time to get them all adjusted right but is well worth the effort as you can build your own sounds this way (with a healthy dose of foot-dancing) see? :D

9. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

I'll just mention a few notes:
    The boostlevel of SBEQ was determined to be corresponding to that of RRB gain set about center rotation, which is a point many RRB users perfer this is slightly louder than the boostlevel of BPB at also little higher distortionlevel at 20dB boost.
    BPB was first designed to do the boost levelshifts needed just to cut above vocals as a solo cleanboost at low distortion and this is usually only about 6dB's needed sometimes more but seldom more than 15dB so limit was set to 18dB to give good control over the desired boost area in this 'cleanboost' application. BPB also is buffered and was meant to go last in chain to isolate the probably longest cable in the signal system that from the pedalboard to amp.

RRB was made in response to a booster with more gain an truebypass and it was tested to go as predriver for the following other models
    EGD and PPF: in which case RRB can be used to set different levels of Fuzz/ Distortion at near exact results to advancing the respective drive controls;
    HB in that RRB can then shift the dynamic range something that corresponds to a HB for strats.
    Some RRB users use the RRB last in chain to heat the amplifier input as a perfered position to give just shimmer; others use it as predriver often after a wha and then enhancing drives downstream aswell as amplifier input when effects are bypassed.
    Most SBEQ users would place that last or near end of chain to adjust final tone or use as heater, while SBEQ can be used as a pick up booster....
    Those that have all three models on board would usually place them like this

Guitar> early effects >RRB>overdrives/modulation>SBEQ>BPB>amplifier.
    All there models can be combined in most any position in pedalboard systems though.

Thank you for your interest

BJ

A close report from the ministry of silly tap dancing

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

uhhhhhh... ditto !:D

BPB - Clean Boost - Buffered - phase correction....best for clear level adjustments

RRB Pushy Boost (double bpb) - no buffer - has a wonderful eq spike in the upper mids that will wake up anything~ overdrives, phasers, kids that wont get out of bed for school etc...

SBEQ - takes the magic 1 0'clock spot on RRB and instead of giving more volume - gives EQ control and an all improving vapor of warmth:cool: (too much coffee sorry)