BJF/BJFE overdrive & distortion pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mkaran, Feb 28, 2008.

1. mkaran

mkaran Member

can some of you guys chime in on your take on the various uses and distinct characteristics of the various (numerous) BJFE OD/distortion type (honey bee, baby blue OD, emerald green, dyna red distortion, model R, little green wonder, etc, etc) pedals?

i have ended up with the model R and honey bee and am curious as to what the others' are like and if i might be happier with some others or want something in addition to what i have.

thanks in advance for any enlightenment you can offer.

thanks,

mark karan

2. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

might want to check out the BJF forum....tons of reviews and threads on this very topic. Good stuff!

www.bjfelectronics.com

3. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

To oversimplify:

EGDM=Vox
    Dyna Red=Marshall
    LGW=Tube Screamer

4. rewog

rewog Member

All BJ's pedals are great...
    but you already have the 2 best that he makes IMO...
    :YinYang

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I have the DRD and BBOD. The Dyna Red is similar to your model R, but has less mid content and gain (i have never played one, just seems to be the general consensus.) I would describe it as a very pristine distortion and it has a lot of "sonic" clarity. Tight low end, not woofy like some distortions can be through some setups. NO FIZZ or messiness in this pedal - everything is so clean sounding through it.

The BBOD I am still getting used to. Very different from basic 808 style overdrives. More low end, very organic and "meaty" sounding. Good string separation. Really a fantastic overdrive, i doubt I will ever part with it. My only gripe is it is a little noisier than I anticipated (still quiet compared to other pedals, just thought BJF would be quieter).

i'm planning on picking up a honeybee soon and would love an EGDM as well for the vox-type tones. Bjorn's pedals truly are awesome, they really stand out from the crowd.

6. rewog

rewog Member

No, the Model R has more mids than the DRD.
    Also more bottom end.
    They're really fairly different.

7. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

that's JUST what he said...

8. GDking

GDking Member

If you have a Tim pedal and use a clean amp, try running the honeybee into the tim and stack them. It is a fantastic OD sound.

I set my Tim pedal gain and volume at noon, EQ everything on the tim pedal how you like it and make it sound good by itself. Then I put the honeybee gain and volume at around noon. When you stack the honey bee into that it sounds great and get a ton of different flavors with the nature knob. I am not sure I would like the honeybee pedal anywhere near as much without the Tim pedal.

I have tried stacking other pedals into the tim before with bad results. And the honey bee alone does not have the gonads to sound like it does with the tim unless my amp is totally cranked which at the gigs I play does not happen.

Timmy would work too but it is higher gain so I would set the gain lower.

Thats about all I can think of. Good luck.

9. rewog

rewog Member

Aahh yeah, sorry... shouldn't be drinkin' this time of day...:D

They're aren't really too similar though IMO - having had both.
    The Model R needs a cranked amp to get the best from it.
    DRD is happy into a clean amp, as well as a cranked one.
    Also, the DRD works great as an Overdrive with the gain turned down, the Model R, less so... it can get a bit spitty.

BUT... with the gain over 12.00 and the amp cookin'.... there's nothing like it !

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

+1 :D

11. Teahead

Teahead Member

I can't agree, although the Honey Bee is my favourite BJF drive, I think the Pine Green Compressor, Mighty green Mini Vibe and Candy Apple Fuzz are the best BJ makes.

12. kidamerica17

kidamerica17 Member

The CAF is tremendous. I've gone through a ton of fuzz pedals (Fulltone, Zvex, Skreddy, Frantone) and this is the one that stuck. The solo on the song "Talk About Love" on my myspace page features the CAF through a Matchless Lightning.

13. Craise

Craise Member

Here's some quick clips I made of my BJFs :dude

Clip Description:
    Gibson Les Paul > BJF Effects > 64 Princeton Reverb

First Clean then
    Honey Bee then
    Dyna Red then
    EGDM then
    Little Green Wonder then (I mistakenly say candy apple in the clip..)
    Little Green Wonder+Pale Green Comp

http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Craise - clean-hb-drd-egdm-lgw+pgc.mp3

Clip Description:
    Gibson Les Paul into a 64 Princeton Reverb
    with BJF Baby Blue Overdrive

http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Craise - BBODJam.mp3

Clip Description:
    Gibson Les Paul > BJF Effects > 64 Princeton Reverb

Candy Apple Fuzz then
    Pink Purple Fuzz then
    Baby Blue Overdrive

http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Craise - BJF-CAF_PPF_BBOD.mp3

14. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I'm in the testing phase right now as I bought every BJFE pedal I could find the past 8 weeks and they all seem great at adding a different flavor or color to your sound. On the board right now is : PPF,CAF,BBOD,LGW,HBO,DRD,SBEQ,and a MPDBD. More money than brains, I know. I'm leaning towards the CAF over PPF in the fuzz department.The MPDBD is a keeper and is the first delay that I've been able to use something more than slapback with. I really like the SBEQ and what it does with my clean tone, making it richer and fuller, like a great clean boost, plus its finishing effect it has on the other pedals when stacked. The DRD is in a class of its own and is a keeper for getting those classic/metal tones. Its crisp, clear, ballsy, harmonically complex and really tight on the bottom at the same time. Palm muted chuga chuga never sounded so good. The remaining three is were I'm struggeling making a choice. ( HBOD, BBOD, LGW ) They all sound great in that low to mid overdrive setting, and each out shines the other in some aspect. The LGW is the better of the three with my strats for the classic strat tone and is a great building block when you start stacking. The BBOD is much fatter than the other two in side by side comparison and responds to touch and dynamics in a beautiful way and is outsanding with P90 pickups. The HBOD has its own thing going on an is the best at slightly overdriven chord work and its dynamic qualities have more coloration in them.(in a good way) Also the nature control seems to have a more dynamic effect on it than some of the other pedals. Every time I think that I can cover the HBOD sounds with the BBOD it will catch a groove and just blow me away. Honestly, this may take months to sort out when you start tweeking knobs, stacking, changing the order, and swapping guitars. The range of usable tones that is contained within the range of the drive, nature and body controls is unmatched by any builder out there. IMO

15. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

Amen. There is no one who gets more useful, unique tone out of a single control the Bjorn Juhl. He is in a class by himself.

16. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Not to torture you, but I've tried all these, and the one that's my single favorite is one you don't have--the EGDM.

17. oil

oil Supporting Member

I have moved from an SD1 to a TS9 (with Analogman 808 mod) to a Japanese OD2 to a Keeley BD2. Now I am waiting for a Honeybee. This week has been mad. I have also paid for, and am waiting for, an Eternity E6, a Keeley fuzzhead and I am on the list for a 200lb from Sean. This thread (and others) have been really useful. Thanks to all. The quest for great tone continues! One thing I wonder about is how my new pedals will react to my beloved Triad.... Anyone used a Honeybee with a Triad?

18. mkaran

mkaran Member

you guys really jumped in here! thanks!!!

craise: thanks for the clips!!!

sounds like the dyna red or emerald green would be worth checking out but i'm not sure which i'd like more... maybe the emerald green if the R is similar to the DRD.

the BBOD sounds cool but sorta similar to the HBOD... and the LGW sounds cool too... so many pedals, so little cash. arghhh! LOL...

i'm on the wait list for a two-stomp mini-vibe (thanks shane!). the clips of that pedal sound AMAZING! i'd also be verrrry interested in hearing the auto-filter. i use one pretty often and am unhappy/unimpressed with most available options i've tried... but i don't wanna get wait-listed on a pedal i don't know if i'd like and i can't find any clips. anybody heard one? got clips?

bjorn sure seems to have a great ear!

thanks guys. i really appreciate the input.

MK

19. Craise

Craise Member

No prob! Bjorn is the Mad professor for sure. You can't really go wrong with any of his pedals.
    BBod is sort of like the HB in feeling...but overall tone is very different. BBOD is like a phat buttery Fender Blues tone and HB is small Tweedy/Supro
    I use them almost like a analog pod. I start with my 64 fender Princeton Reverb and pick a BJF flavor I want to color it. EGDM>Fender really does (imho) nail the Vox AC15 tone.
    I'm really digging my last two BJfs the Model H (based on the Who Hi-Watt Live at Leeds sound) and the Sparkling Yellow ( A shimmery crisp Fender ish OD) The Model H is sick! Crisp clear Distortion..very snappy...fast becoming one of my favorite BJF dirtboxes of all time.
    But HB and LGW imho are MVPs of the line.
    I do have a clip of the VCF Filter! With the BBod and DRD. (VCF is very! dynamic...and responsive to touch..)
    :BluesBros

Clip Description:
    Gibson Les Paul >
    Baby Blue Overdrive >
    Dyna Red Distortion >
    VCF Filter >
    64 Fender Princeton Reverb

http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Craise%20-%20VCF-DRD-BBOD.mp3

and this one (more wahish)
    Clip Description:
    Gibson LP >
    VCF then
    VCF-BBOD then_
    PGC-VCF then
    VCF >
    64 Fender Princton Reverb

http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Craise - VCF_VCF-BBOD_PGC-VCF_VCF.mp3

20. drolling

drolling Member

He sure does - no coincedence that both he & mr. paulC, my favorites, are also designers/builders of som of the best amps on the planet!

Mark, in case no one's mentioned it, the EGDM has an internal brightness trimmer that gives you a lot more flavors.. it's like having another tone control.

However, after months of fiddling around- various amp/git combinations - I ended up dialing it back to the EXACT position Bjorn set it.

Someone on this thread mentioned the PGC- I use that to get more mileage out of many distortion/OD/fuzz pedals. The SBEQ's also very effective in this app. Stomps come & go (especially dirt boxes) but these two have been a constant on my board for years.

Have you ever tried the Maxon AF-9? At least this one's available to demo at the music shop. My other choice in autofilters would be a Guyatone Wahrocker2. Cheap, tiny, very few controls & a wretched tone-sucking bypass buffer, it's probably the complete opposite of the AF-9, but a cool little one-trick-pony nonetheless