BJF Dyna Red Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rawkguitarist, Jul 18, 2006.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Please give me all the info on you can?? I've had a hard time finding much info on it here. Basically I've I've found is it's "the best I've had...", etc, etc, etc.

I think a good comparison would be how it sizes to an OCD. A pedal I found that had a great clipping texture, but WAY TOO much bass and not enough midrange (Yes, I'm talking about version 2).

Does the Dyna have solid midrange? Does it have a nice treble, or is it kinda dark or too fat?

Also, mayby Bjorn can chime in, is there a long wait on them?? To bad there's no where to just play one of these.

Thanks guy's!

2. Sid

Sid Member

hey man ...

i was askin a lotta the questions ur asking....gotquite a few answers...

well to my knowledge...its high gain....not midrangey....very marshall(definitely crunchy)...it has a very tube like character to it...

very very amp like....its as close as u cld get i suppose...owners describe it as somewhat a guns n roses sound....i would say its that and more....it goes from low bluesy to fuzzy crunch....

i have 10-15 soundclips that i have collected from various sites if ur interested...just pm me ur msn or yahoo and will pass em to ya...

cheers

3. Craise

Craise Member

lots of great in depth reviews at the musictoyz.com forums...do a search for dyna red and BJF... Tons....
    Super busy this weekend...I still i'm going to try and make some BJF clips soon.
    :)

4. Sid

Sid Member

Craise Kirk(CK??):that wld be gr8 man looking fwd to some clips

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey Aaron!!

Do it. I LOVE my EGDM. Bjorn's stuff is the best I've tried (and you know what I've tried!)

Someone on the Tophat forum has one. I forget who.

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I tried the Dyna Red at NAMM through the Mad Professor amp, playing a Ruokangas Tele style guitar - pretty fun!

I thought it had great sounding, very realistic midrange. It sounded more "Marshally" to me than any pedal I've ever tried. It was neither too dark or too brittle for my tastes. It's one of the most 'amp-like' pedals I've ever used - it was actually touch sensitive (to a degree)

I almost bought one, and I'm not a big pedal guy. I DID buy a PGC.

I've never been a pedal proponent, but Menatone and Fulltone made me look up and take notice, and BJF is making a true believer out of me.

Dana O.

7. Teahead

Teahead Member

I agree with JKoeth, in that I haven't played the pedal in question, but believe that if the Dyna Red even approaches the quality of the BJF pedals I have tried, it's worth having.

8. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Hey Jkoeth!!

Well then, just curious how you'd compare the Emerald Green to the Eternity??

****BUT, guy's keep it coming on info for the Dyna Red...****

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I loved the texture of the Eternity. It is truly special and one of the best pedals I've ever heard. In the end, I preferred the EGDM because of it's Vox flavor. My Eternity attenuated the bass a bit too much for me too.

The EGDM is a natural extension of my Tophat CR and definitly more Vox like. The Eternity is more Marshall like to me. If I were looking for a Marshall sound now, I would go with the Dyna Red without a doubt (and I've never played one). If I were independently wealthy, I'd own all three!

Kudos to both Sean and Bjorn, two of the best pedal makers on the planet.

11. Sid

Sid Member

hehe i meant that if ur looking for the mids response of a TS or a metal pedal this aint it...:BEER

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well I don't want something that's metal... And I have a modded SD-1 and a BYOC TS808 so I don't need a TS style. (Plus, I have two Eternities, so to me no OD would really compare)

Basically I'm KINDA interested in something that could take the spot of my RAT or Menatone KOTB that is more refined, but not as perfect sounding as my Tonebone Classic. All these pedals I love, but to me distortion pedals are so elusive, It seems I'm alsway's interested in something new...:rolleyes:

13. Sid

Sid Member

oh man..u cldnt have hit the nail on the head better if u wanted to...dun think anymore...pick up the dyna .... its wha u want.. without a doubt...damn talk abt spot on definitions:horse

ps bro i think the mail u gave me aint right...

14. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

What Sid said. You've nailed it. Get it. I've tried: Fulltone OCD (v.1), Crunchbox (v.1), Blackstone, EMMA Reeza, Menatone KOTB, T-Rex Mudhoney, G2D Morpheus, Zoom Hyper Lead, Keeley DS-1, AMT Electronics, and I can't remember what else.

Get the DRD. Trust me. And, if for some reason you don't like it (unlikely), resale value will not hurt you.

If you really want to talk about it in depth, PM me.

Best,

Doc :dude

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

I spent some time with one a few months ago. To my ears is has a sort of modded Marshally type of EQ, maybe a tiny bit scooped in the mids, but overall a balanced tone. You can do thick and wooly and creamy or more aggressive stuff with the tone knob. Nice feel too. One of the few I have played that compared favorably to my favorite Landgraff.

16. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I've got big gas for one too.

Can anyone tell me how the Dyna Red compares to the MI Audio Crunch Box? I'm looking for a pedal to replace the crunch box on my board, roughly with the same amount of gain, but more dynamics and definition.

Thanks!

17. DocRock

I had a Crunchbox (v.1). I thought it was amazing for the $$$. To my ear, and IMO, it sounded a bit too dark and was not very sensitive to my pick attack. One of the biggest things about Bjorn's pedals is dynamics/definition. Obviously at higher settings, these qualities will be less evident even in the Dyna Red. That being said, I've found that I can set the Dyna Red to get a nice, raunchy distortion while still preserving definition. It's also not as dark as the v.1 Crunchbox, although I hear that the v.2 addresses that. Someone else can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Anyway, the Dyna Red has been the most dynamic and inspiring high-gain pedal I've ever heard. It still sounds *real.* What I mean by that is, a lot of times high-gainers tend to sound thin and "toy-like" if you set them too high. The Dyna Red always maintains this great amp-like response, and can be coaxed into luscious harmonic feedback.

Can you tell I love it?!

Best,

Doc :D

18. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1 The Dyna Red really transforms my Fargen Blackbird into a Marshall-type rock machine. The mids don't sound artificially altered like they are "trying" to sound like a Marshall. The touch sensitivity of the BJF pedals is unrivalled IMO. I have played A LOT of od's and I am just blown away how well they meld with my amps. It is difficult to explain, but they don't sound like a pedal in front of your amp, they sound like a part of your amp. My amp literally feels like a whole different animal with the DRD running into it.
    The OCD has some decent touch/playing dynamics going on also, but not to the amp-like extent of the BJF, and to me it still feels and sounds like a pedal going in front of my amp.

19. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

For those who have the Dyna Red, how does it stack well with lower gain pedals? Has anyone tried it with COT? Do you guys use it mostly for leads, rhythm or both?

20. DocRock

I use it for both. I have it set one way for crunchy tone with clarity. I will then stack it into a Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1 for some of my leads, if I want a slight increase in gain plus volume boost. I have a lower-gain overdrive that Bjorn custom-made for me (the Dynamic Amber Overdrive) which I run into the Dyna Red. When I stack those, there isn't a big volume boost, but there is a dramatic increase in distortion level. Of course, the triple threat is when I have the overdrive, the Dyna Red, and the Super Duper all stacked. That tone is simply over-the-top, liquid fire. Basically, you can put a pedal before Dyna Red and the volume will stay relatively constant...but the tonal character will be altered, i.e., more gain. If you put a pedal after Dyna Red, then it's different. It all depends what you're using and what you want to do. With the BJF stuff, it seems like whichever pedal is last in the stack is the determining factor of overall sound. What you put before it will add color and gain, but not so much volume.

I've never played a COT, but I'm sure it stacks fine. Bjorn's pedals, I think, play nicely with others. :D

Best,

Doc :BEER