BJF EGDM ROCKS!! ( Anything else like it? )

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by onestop, Jan 28, 2008.

1. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

For those of you that either own or have had the pleasure of playing a BJF Emerald Green Distortion Machine, you know what I mean when I saw IT ROCKS! It is an incredible pedal and the tones floor me every time.

So here's my question - is there anything else out there that's comparable? And if so, in what way?

Just curious :munch

2. Dave

Dave Member

Not really. Maybe the Love Pedal Death of a Vox. The Menatone TBIAC is equally sweet IMO, but it doesn't do the high gain thing as well as the EGDM.

3. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

I've owned two (have had my newest one since november). My first one, I bought this one used a few years ago and sold last year, was really aggressive and biting, I could barely turn up the volume knob before it was TOO loud, it was in your face BIG TIME. My new one is more of the cranked vox....full of creamy mids and gets that roar when you really dig in. I can go higher on the volume knob before my bypassed tone is over shadowed. I wish I still had my first one, and then I could get my new one voiced somewhere in the middle of the two...

IIRC when I ordered my new EGD from Dean Farley, he said he asked Bjorn to make a drive that would get into the territory of his Komet. So, there may be more to the EGD than it's Voxiness. It is definately my favorite drive...especially with the RRB giving it a goose

4. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

I agree that the Death of a Vox comes closest. I currently own a TBIAC too and that just doesn't get there for the high gain sounds. Great though for a Voxy kind of voice and vibe.

-LarryW

5. onestop

anyone else care to chime in... just curious

6. justonwo

justonwo Member

Good thread. I have one on the way. Looking forward to it.

7. Teahead

Teahead Member

What is it that you love most about the EGDM? If it's the dynamics and response, that can be found in Bjorn's other pedals with a different flavour. HBOD and DRD come to mind instantly, depending on if you'd like a cranked small combo sound or a classic Marshall one.

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

How much gain do these pedals have on tap? I really liked the clips I heard but would characterize the sound more as "overdrive" than "distortion."

9. I'm Incinerator

I think there is more gain than I would need in the EGD. For fun, I've turned the distortion all the way up and the volume down pretty low and it gets really fuzzy. I could only imagine with the volume way up.

Bjorn's pedals definitley h ave a wide range of useful tones...the problem is where to leave them set at:eek:

10. drolling

drolling Member

I started w/a SeaBlu EQ, quickly followed by a HoneyBee, which is the most touch-sensitive, dynamic OD I've played, ever.

By the time I got around to ordering an EGDM, I had to wait considerably longer than the 10 days it took to drop-ship the SB & HB back in '05.

But it was worth it..

I've been down the same road many EmraldGreen users seem to take - Initially finding the pedal a bit darker than expected, I spent time fiddling w/the internal 'brightness' trimmer, eventually settling back to the spot that Bjorn had it in the first place - Guy knows what he's doing!

Compared to my old AC-15, the EGDM's overdrive is fatter & thicker sounding. There's this signature warmth, an almost vocal quality to BJF pedals - including the PineGreen compressor!

Hope to own a few more of them someday:AOK

11. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

It's warm and thick and the voicing control makes it work with a variety of guitars and pickups.

Wow does it sound good on the treble single coil pickups with the voice rolled all the way CCW.

It's just a great sounding pedal. Almost a fuzzy overdrive warm round and thick. One of my favorite pedals.

12. I'm Incinerator

I noticed this too going from the EGD I bought used a few years ago to my new one I got in Nov (ordered in June :) ). I think I will leave the trimmer where it is and use my RRB and SBEQ to bring out some highs and upper mids. Using it with my HB it seems to goose the HB to high levels and gives the EGD more dynamics...

I haven't tried many pedals in the time I've been playing...but I know when a good thing comes around...you don't let it go (should have listened to myself a year ago when I sold my first EGD...though my new one is just as fun, if not more)

13. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

who did you order it from if you don't mind me asking?
    I want another one desperately (foolishly sold in cash crunch time) but don't want to wait forever if possible.

14. I'm Incinerator

I would recommend either ordering from Dean Farley (pinkstrat on this forum) or going through custom sounds which is the main distributor of BJF pedals.

custom-sounds.com
    Leomouser@aol.com - Dean Farley's e-mail.

15. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

thanks!

16. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

How would the EGDM sound through a Vox AC15 handwired? Too much Vox on Vox?

17. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I love it on my Super17 Goodsell - its a very colorful pedal and there are many positions of color with the dials - can be lightly dialed in or get to distortion - doesn't clip the low end at all (like an eternity) but doesn't boost it either - has its own compression thing going on....this amp is kind of Voxy/tweedy at the same time- it's not too much....

The amazing thing with this pedal particularly is when I punch it on (on top of a Klon/HBOD often) for a real balls out part of a song - and it sounds like the amp and band is in full overly loud crowd cranking cop-calling heaven - but somehow, we're not too loud....very dependable for this!!!

18. Craise

Craise Member

No...they melt together...great match!

Just want to say that DOV and EGDM are night and day imho...
    The DOV is a modded line booster...the EGDM is a finely tuned Distortion Box with all levels of Voxiness going on....chimey to full on Distortion.
    If you want Tom Petty and Mike Campbell get this box!
    Closest I've heard to the EGDM is the Metatone TBIAC but still IMHO the EGDM is best...
    :AOK

19. I'm Incinerator

I play a TopHat Club Royale (Vox AC15/AC30TB w/ 18 watt marshall flavors), and it seriously just melts in.

I was giving mine a few rounds of in home jamming...and was nailing the tones on those opening chords on "American Girl" with my tele.

20. onestop

Just now chiming back in but got my 2nd one (yeah you heard right) from the guys at Custom-Sounds.com.

I was a little hesitate being an oversees deal done COMPLETELY online but it was an absolute pleasure! Those guys are great!