BJF EGDM vs Skreddy Screwdriver?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by playon, Mar 2, 2006.

1. playon

playon Supporting Member

Has anyone been able to compare the Skreddy Screwdriver with the BJF Emerald Green Distortion? Superficially at least, they seem to be in the same ballpark, edgy, touch sensitive distortion/overdrive. The Screwdriver samples sound very good and both pedals seem to get raves.

2. Craise

Craise Member

Not sure, but I think the screwdriver is Big Muff/or at least Fuzz based. The EGDM is more amp (sounding/based) I don't own a screwdriver but own and love my EGDM, so I can't compare the two. But listen to Tom Petty's Last Dance with Mary Jane. This was done with a Gibson and a Vox amp. My SG with into the EDGM into a fender will nail this tone. That's what you get. Vox chime. A big muff/Fuzz will sound different into a fender, so I don't think they would be anything alike. But I've never played a screwdriver..so I can only comment on the sound of the EGDM. Hope this helps a little. :)

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

VERY SIMILAR!!! The EGDM was a touch brighter, but with the sharpness and brightness control on the skreddy it was easy to get that bright jangle too. A truely great overdrive!!! The skreddy screwdriver is NOT a muff type pedal.

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I'll have the answer to this as soon as I receive my Screwdriver. My buddy and bandmate owns the EGDM so we'll have a little tweak. I totally fell in love with the Screwdriver when I tried it out in Vintage&Rare in London with a LP jr. Historic and a Cornford amp. Really nice low gain sounds. If I remember right, I didn't even try high gain on it because I was so bewildered by its low gain voicings.

5. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, TB! Start a new thread if you have to!! Really, really interested in both these pedals and will have to have one or the other - or both..

If you could tell us a bit about the gits/amps used in the upcoming shootout, as well:dude

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Ok, sure thing. It'll be a couple of weeks still but as soon as I have the Screw Driver I'll give them a test drive. Heck, I'll even make some clips with the same gear and post them on to my sound click thingy.

7. Craise

Craise Member

Well there you go! thanks teddy! ;)

8. RickB

RickB Member

I have never played the BJF but I just got my Screw Driver last week. Quite an amazing OD. There is plenty of gain in it and sounds great cranked but I am using mine low gain as that is where it really shines. It has a really nice tone knob on it that dials in the amount of bass it is being fed. And then there is the trim pot on the side (accessible through a hole in the case so no unscrewing the back off to adjust). It comes shipped at the mid point. Once I cranked that up a bit, the pedal came to life. The best comparison or description I can make is think Full-Drive 2 set to Comp-Cut but then make it sound much sweeter..... more dynamic, more sparkle, more tube like roundness..... Hard to put into words but I am more than pleased with this pedal. I took my FD-2 off the board upon tweaking the Screw Driver. It does a great job boosting other dirt boxes as well. Right now I have it right before my Blues Pro and they work great together. It also sounds great boosting my Mayo or Crunch Box for a little extra oomph. Just make sure you don't overlook tweaking the trim pot and you'll find your sound in there.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Big fan of the BluesPro, with a CrunchBox on the way. MIAudio pedals sound great, are as cheap as the famous Timmy (another one of my faves!) but no 3 month wait. It's got to have something to do w/the fact that Australian dollars are even lower than my Canadian dollars.

So the Screwdriver has less gain than the BluesPro? The clips on Marc's site are nice, and that 'brilliance' trimpot sounds like a.. brilliant.. idea.

10. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I've got a custom Skreddy Screwdriver incoming, & I already have a EGDM on my board, so I'll chime in with a comparo after the Screwdriver arrives.

11. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Aaargghh...I'm affraid I will order a Screwdriver this weekend.........

12. drolling

drolling Member

yeah.. I know. It's bad, hunh? My Skreddy gases have been building up for awhile now... and that Mayo's also lookin & sounding better & better..

13. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Yes, that Mayo is a serious candidate as well. The clips on his site sound great I think.

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I love my Mayo!!

Can't wait for my Screw Driver and Top Fuel to arrive!!

:RoCkIn

15. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

It can have less gain and it can have more gain. Very versatile. :)

16. drolling

drolling Member

..right.. I was afraid you were gonna say something like that..

I don't think it's my imagination that this new breed of boxes seem more flexible than stuff I had on my board for years..overdrives that sounded bad w/the gain past noon & fuzzes that were the opposite. The pots were pretty much stuck in one position from lack of use.

Even the tone controls are better.. Useful, musical tones across the dial instead of mud on one end and screech at the other.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of those new thingies that turn the knobs on another pedal so I can keep playing while I mess w/the gain or eq.:D