BJF Emerald Green Distortion AMAZING!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Dec 12, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Hey guys, i got my BJF EGDM today, and after waiting 2 hours for my baby brothers to wake up, i plugged it in, cranked up my ftr-37 and let her rip! Right away, i knew it was the pedal for me, it needed a bit more highs to match with my amp so i opened her up and found the trim pot (thanks Jkoeth!), i tweaked it, and within a minute i had found the sweet spot! This pedal is absolutely amazing with my amp and my tele. The distortion has the perfect amount of shimmer and compression, and retains all of the d/13 low end which i was so afraid of losing. This pedal can get a very similar tone to the click channel on my amp, but with a bit more compression, chime, and it's a bit more apparent in the upper mids, which was exactly what i was hoping for. This pedal has the perfect amount of overdrive for me, and if i ever need more gain, it's at the turn of a knob. Palm muting, riffs, sustain, it's all there. And of course, the most important thing to me is just the overall feel, and this thing nails it. This pedal is almost as touch sensitive as my amp! I'm so happy i took the plunge and bought this pedal. It was expensive, but now i can sell my weber mass because this pedal just sounds that great! The only problem is that now i'm already gassing for the Dyna Red or the Honey Bee and i've already got a SBEQ on the way! BJ is amazing.

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this direction and i hope you all find the tonal happiness i'm experiencing right now!

i love this place!

thanks, jon

2. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Hey,
    Yeah I have to agree the EGDM is an amazing pedal.....although I must say none of the BJF pedals I have disappoint in the least and all are amazing. I bought a BJF SBEQ and then within two weeks also had the EGDM, a Honey Bee, and a Saffron Yellow Tremolo...they all are great. I would have more, but alas the holidays......
    But FYI....get a Honey Bee. The stack with that and the Emerald Green is terrific. It just makes the EGDM more dynamic and I guess the word would be sensitive. Terrific...
    I want all the BJF pedals ever made. I really do.....

3. themusicboxstudios

ya, i think the dyna red will be better for my studio then when i'm recording some harder rock bands. all the high school kids around here are hardcore ... so i've gotta find a way to get some beautiful high gain tones. dyna red sounds like the ticket.

the honey bee still entrigues me none the less.

4. themusicboxstudios

btw, how are you guys using the pedal. I have the volume cranked, the distortion all the way off and the voice at noon. sounds great, i'm just interested in what you guys have done.

5. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

Thanks for the info Curehardy, but I have a question for you about the trim pot. I opened up my EGDM and found a whole bunch of dark grey foam material covering the circuits. There was a little hole cut out of the foam that seems to lead to a screw head (slotted not phillips). Is this the trim pot? The access to it was so poor that I wasnt sure. Also, which direction would I turn it to brighten it up a bit?

Thanks.

6. themusicboxstudios

yes, thats it ... i had to pull back the foam a bit further than it wanted to in able to get to it ... it should be a little brown thing, turn clockwise for more treble. good luck! that trim pot made the pedal godly for me.

7. telebuck

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and report back with results.

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

I'm a relatively new Honey Bee owner, and I'm loving this thing so far. Not sure I've ever played anything quite like it in terms of its touch responsiveness.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Thank you for the review Jon- I have to play around with a few OD's I have here once my Honey Bee arrives, and once I know what I'm selling, the proceeds will be going toward an EGDM!

Thanks,
    -Ben

10. telebuck

Had a chance to play with the trim pot... it seems that counter-clockwise increases the treble. Small adjustments make a big difference, and I was able to find a sweet spot for my victoria champ with just a bit more treble than the stock setting (I may have to adjust again when playing with my el-84 invader, but the voice control also seems to allow a slight adjustment of treble). Java boost into the EGDM is pretty sweet. I think its a keeper. Thanks again for the tip.

11. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I have a EGDM but have not looked inside. I am using it with a TopHat Club Royale. When you guy's are adjusting the trim, is it to match the amp or to simply get the best sound? Is it possible to mark the trim pot to have a start point reference? BTW, I have only had the pedal for a week!

Joe

12. themusicboxstudios

i'm doing it to match my amp's chime. when i got it it was a bit dark and i would lose chime when it was engaged ... but the trim pot allows me to match the chime perfectly to my amp ... the pedal sounds like my amp, but with more gain and a bit brighter than the overdrive channel on my amp, but it matches perfectly with my clean channel when i have the mid boost engaged. The trim pot made this pedal for me ... if it didn't have one ... it probably would have been sold by now. i really wish more pedals had a feature like this. o well. BJF it is!

13. themusicboxstudios

I just got this e-mail from BJ:

Inside the pedal the pcb rests in a neoprane cushion and there should be a hole visiable in the neoprane and through that a small jewler's screwdriver can be used to operate the trimmer. (mine didn't have a hole though)
    Due to the way this trimmer is mounted rotation direction isn't fixed, but use your ears.

This trimmer is factory set at a point where treble just is leveled out as that works best with a majority of amps and the pedal is generally better percieved if just a hint more treble could be in want rather than just a hint less treble would be in want.
    Generally just a slight rotation to either side would be needed if needed at all with the majority of amplifiers.
    Once this is set the Voice control makes more sense.

I'd be very interested in what settings et.c work with your D13

Have fun
    Bjorn

14. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

OK, I took the back off my EGDM, no hole. So, I started taking off some of the foam and found it at the bottom edge of the circuitboard going towards the battery. It is a tanish brown little head with a slot.

I had my wife rotate the trim pot while I played guitar, which worked out great. If the top edge of the slot started at 2:00, I ended up at 2:30. It just added a little top end sizzle and chime. the pedal seemed a little dark as I reported on the TopHat forum. It is really well balanced now and more of a natural extension of what the amp was putting out!

This pedal is amazing for Classic Rock. I still think that I like the BB preamp set to low gain better for Blues (clearer snap on the bass side), but for everything else, the EGDM ROCKS!

BTW I am using a guitar with Lollar P90's into a TopHat Club Royale.

15. themusicboxstudios

i'm glad the pedals ok because BJF strongly recomends putting the back on before you play it (it's in the manual). but it any case, i'm glad you like it. I can't imagine how many people sold this because this didn't know that trim pot was there. And i totally agree for the classic rock thing. I've never been able to get that tone (or tried to) but now that i can get it just by turning the gain on the pedal up a bit, it sounds freaking great! I'm loving the palm muting tones i'm getting with this pedal ... i know that sounds cheesy, but it sounds awsome.

16. themusicboxstudios

how are you guys using the pedal? the pedals knobs seem to interact very different than most pedals ... i've got kind of a clean boost setting going into the reverb channel of my D/13 ftr37 w/ the mid boost engaged. When i'm pushing the clean and the pedal is engaged, it nails the voxy thing i was going for. It also sounds really nice at lower volumes. I'm recording a hardcore band next week and i actually might have them use my amp with this pedal (yes it can get that nasty). Hmmm. should be interesting.

17. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, no kiddin.. the honeybee's got this knob labelled "nature" - turn counterclockwise for a massive injection of *bigness*

When I ordered the HB, I wavered over the decision, as I had a feeling I'd like the EG just as much - this thread's got me looking around the studio for something to sell off to raise the funds...

18. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'm considering this pedal to go into my Bruno UG30. The Bruno is a high mid kinda amp when it's overdriven, I wonder if the Emerald Green would be too much as I've read it too is high mid oriented. True? If so would the Dyna Red be a better choice? I'm not looking for mega distortion, but want a bit more grunt than say the Honey Bee/Timmy...

19. themusicboxstudios

the EGD is highly recomended for voxy el84 amps. I think it would be a great match for your amp.

20. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah it should do the trick - thats what the 'voice' knob is for ~ reshaping the lows and mids, which are critical for getting the right signal to overdrive a vox without turning it too mush --- or to help make a voxish sound on a non-vox amp......

A very general starting point is to choose your amount of distortion first then put t he voice knob at the same position and adjust from there --- as a vox often has an easily flabbied bottom generally if you are feeding it alot of pedal distortion you will want to feed it less bass,,,, if you want it to get flabby with less pedal distortion then you might want to feed it more bass causing the amp to produce the distortion........... but thats just a starting point and a guidline - experiment and find the mixture of pedal distortion and amp distortion that works for you....!!!!