1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BJF Emerald Green

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Teahead, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Teahead

Teahead Member

Edit:Three Emerald Green Clips added to sig.

This one really delivers, just what you expect from the descriptions given and BJ's impeccable reputation. I love how thick and fat it can get in the low end.

The compression is spot on for Vox warmth and this makes for excellent results when preceeded with a Fuzz pedal. Huge 'amp blowing up' style sounds, at reasonable volumes, as the fuzz overloads the EGDM.

The PGC doesn't really complement the EGD that well, since the compression of the EG is already pristine as is, although it does help preserve the picking dynamic when used in front of the fuzz & EG combination. The SBEQ definitely does boost the drive of the EG very nicely.

2. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

I experienced that "amp blowing up" thing with my fuzz factory into my lovepedal Eternity... quite good results at low volumes

3. Teahead

Teahead Member

Low Volume is probably the appropriate phrase, it doesn't 'cut through' or sit too well with a live band, but what an incredible response it provides.

To be able to duplicate what ususally happens when my AC30 is cranked without disturbing the whole street is a cool aspect of this pedal.
    :cool:
    BJF's stuff seems equally satisfying whether I'm cranking it with the band, or jamming at moderate home volumes. It's nice to be able enjoy these pedals all week long, rather than only when playing out.

4. Dana

Dana Guest

Yes, the BJF Stuff is very cool. I'm quickly getting hooked on them. Currently own a Honey Bee and have a Pine Green on the way. Not sure if I have any use for an EGDM yet as my current gig is mostly Jazz and Blues. I'll probably get one eventually just for fun.

5. Teahead

Teahead Member

Ok, scrub that nonsense I posted above about how the Pale Green Comp doesn't combine with the Emerald Green too well. I took the time to dial them in last night at band practice and the results were most pleasing... From left to right, PGC was set: 50% 10% 40% & the EGD was: 40% 30% 35%

I couldn't resist using the EGDM as often as possible, it sounds wonderful with my AC30 & Tele, hands down the most natural, responsive and addictive overdrive I've tried. Like adding an extra channel to your Vox, a stunning extra channel at that.

I had one of these I picked up in trade a couple of years back. It was impossibly dark, no treble whatsoever and as I was unaware of the internal trimpot, I traded it on. After listening to clips and discovering the treble trim, I decided that a previous owner must have messed with it.

I'm glad I didn't let that put me off the EGDM because it's revealed itself to be the perfect drive pedal for my set up.

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

....very good point about the internal trim TH - the 'original ~ tweeked for voxes and komets setting' is with the trim all the way up - the internal trim is there to make it useful on more treble happy US type amps like Fenders etc.... so yeah if the previous owner tweeked it for a fender and then you tried it on a vox it would sound dark and thick ---- thats the problem with internals is if you dont know they are there you can get t he wrong impression..... but the only thing worse than having them is not having them ; ]
    and as you noted one thing BJ has always tweeked for is a sound that works whether its close miced or in a natural band mix...

Dana one of my favorite stacks is EGDM into HB for some reason the combination of the lightly compressed Voxy treble bite of the EG into the dynamic drive and sweetening of the HB made for a very tasty SRV Blues sound with a little Mike Campbell thrown in ...

7. Craise

Craise Member

yep, the EGDM is my favorite Bjfe! If I had to keep just one dirt pedal it would be the EG
    It turns my fender into a vox, simple as that. I just love all my Bjfe's. They really are the pot of gold at the end of the tone rainbow for me! I have no interest in ANY other dirt pedals. Why? because I want the classic rock and blues tones we have heard on all the records and with the Bjfe line of pedals I have them all at my feet. Where other pedal makers make overdrives and distortions...the Bjfe's really do sound and feel like amps.
    I run my 64 Princeton Reverb a bit before brake up and choose the tone color I want to play a song with....Tom Petty..go for the EGDM....Black Crowes...hit the Dyna Red or Honey Bee. Stright up blues? Baby Blue sags like a spongeymother! Then just roll the volume up and down for solos...or use a booster.
    On top of the great base tones...you can start stacking! As you have found out..the Bjfe's stack and melt together. Like Donner, one of my favorite combos is EGDM>HB another fav for metal tones is LGW>EGDM
    Have fun! :)

8. Teahead

Teahead Member

You guys aren't helping my cravings for a HB & LGW! I'll probably go with the HB first, since I already have so much green going on already. Then again, maybe it'd be best to get all the greenies lined up first and then add the sweetness of the HB? Decisions, decisions...
    :drool

9. Craise

Craise Member

lol, do I even need to say...
    LGW -> HB = Green Honey Butter
    ;)

10. Teahead

Teahead Member

I got to record the EGDM for the first time today and the results have impressed me even more. It sounds equally impressive with the Normal & Top Boost channels of my AC30 and really does add some serious meat to my Tele.

With a dozen pedals at my disposal I played only the Emerald Green for three quarters of the time I had. It's a stunning overdrive and the tones are useable from the lowest gain right up to full roar.

Clips to follow when I get them uploaded.
    :BEER

11. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

:drool

I just got turned onto BJF recently myself. I have DRD and I love it. I got to check out EGDM and I loved that, too. I think I'd like to get probably most or all of his pedals. GAS CAN KILL!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Doc :BEER

12. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Im contacting the Surgeon General to have BJFE pedals reclassified as a virus .... they seem to spread thru pedalboards at will and have shown the ability to spread person to person- its worse than Bird Flu ,,, its Bjorn Flu !!!! :eek:

13. DocRock

14. drolling

drolling Member

Just hate it when this thread pops up - I've got enough truly outstanding overdrives to populate a colony of pedal boards.. but I want one of these Green Machines..:drool ...

I keep hearing that it makes any amp sound like a Vox - So how would it sound if I already had the Vox?

Would it be like turning my AC-15 up full blast, except the cops wouldn't show up?

How'sit sound thru' black & brownface Fenders?

Thanks, guys..

15. DocRock

Well, I tried one at ToneFest through my own amp, which is basically a JTM-45 Plexi. It definitely made it sound Voxy/Matchlessy. I loved it. I can't imagine any of Bjorn's pedals sounding less than stellar through most quality amps.

16. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I have an EGDM and it is so much more amp-like and musical than every other pedal I have owned. It really sounds like amp drive, and it retains clarity without any fizzy artifacts. I have a HoneyBee on the way and I am very excited.
    I have owned some great pedals (Barber, Fulltone, MI, Menatone,Xotic) and the best ones sounded like great...pedals. The EGDM actually sounds like an extension of my amps, it has the voxy character but doesn't fight the amp, it just blends with it and sounds so natural. It made me totally kick the ocd out the window, no contest the BJF is just more rounded, natural, easy to dial in, and overall is just plain useful.
    The BJF stuff in general is really different from other pedals, very dynamic, present, no boxiness or squashed notes.

17. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The EGDM is one of my fav's!!!

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Great Q dr,
    The EGDM was originally commisioned to drive a Komet (look inside, thats what the painting is of a comet going around a planet) by Deano ---- BJ didnt have a Komet so he used a Vox to dial it in as many had also been asking for something to drive a Vox... so it does both ! and to make it even more versatile and useful to a larger group an internal trim was added later to allow it to be adjusted for use on Fender and brighter US amps........

So to answer the question it can do both , it can be set up to overdrive a Vox properly and sound like a cranked one at lower volumes..... or it can be adjusted to work some voxian magic on a fender .... I have lots of drives but nothing that sounds quite like it..... and when you get it dialed into your amp correctly its pretty obvious, its not like a slight 'you know I think I might hear a slight improvement yeah maybe' , its 'dammit where has this thing been for the last 20 years':RoCkIn

19. elambo

elambo Member

Gotta agree - the EGDM is one of my most-used pedals. I love that thing.

20. DocRock

I know now what I must do....