BJF EMGD trimmer

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
I just got a new BJF EGDM. I had one about a year or 2 ago and loved it. I switched rigs and sold all my pedals. Now I am back to using pedals and wanted another, so I bought a new one.
I don't know why, but this one sounds different, and I am having trouble dialing it in. It could be simply because I am running a different amp, but I feel like this new one is woofier in the lows and low mids, with not much upper mid punch.
If I crank the voice it softens the lows a little and boosts mids, but becomes too dark. So perhaps if I boost the trimmer inside I can balance it.
My question : bjf says not to operate pedal without the back-plate on, or damage may occur. However, I need to have the thing on and play through it to adjust the trimmer by ear. Is it safe to have it on and upside down to adjust trimmer?? I don't need to stomp on it with the back off, but I have to hear the signal to dial it in. What is the scoop?

goldie-gold

That's how I adjusted the trimmer on mine, although I had no idea you weren't supposed to operate it with the back plae off.

I think if you are careful it should be fine. I don't really see any other way of making the necessary adjustments.

starfish

Cool! I just got my second EGDM last weekend. I agree it is darker and has more gain. For me it sounds perfect. The first one I had sounded too bright with my 60's AC-30 and Matchless DC-30, but I did not know about the trimmer and foolishly sold the pedal. This new one is perfect right out of the box.

That being said, I did find the trimmer inside. You should be able to adjust it with the back off and pedal upside down. You might make a small marking to indicate the stock sound should you want to return to the original setting.
What rig are you using the EGDM with?

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
That's also how I adjusted mine, but I think technically you could get hurt if there's current going through there and you monkeying around with a screwdriver. :) Best to unplug, adjust, and plug back in.

rockford

I adjusted mine with e plate off, just to get it to sound right. I put it on the floor, but it was on carpet. took a few minutes, tey're just saying don't take it anywhere with the back off, you're ok at home.

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
Cool! I just got my second EGDM last weekend. I agree it is darker and has more gain. For me it sounds perfect. The first one I had sounded too bright with my 60's AC-30 and Matchless DC-30, but I did not know about the trimmer and foolishly sold the pedal. This new one is perfect right out of the box.

That being said, I did find the trimmer inside. You should be able to adjust it with the back off and pedal upside down. You might make a small marking to indicate the stock sound should you want to return to the original setting.
What rig are you using the EGDM with?
I am using it with a Carr Vincent, and an Aiken Invader.
Through the invader (marshall plexi type preamp, el-84 outputs) it sounds fantastic at most settings.
The problem I have is with the Carr, which is a more 'american' 6L6 amp, and the amp I wanted to use it with mostly. The EGDM has lots of lows and low mids, but not much upper mid. With the carr set for a smooth fendery clean tone, the EGDM sounds a little bloated and lacking in the upper mid punch I like. I can dial more in on the amp, but then my clean tone suffers.
I absolutely love the feel, compression, amp-like vibe of the BJF stuff, but I wish it had more EQ control.
Unfortunately the dist pot on mine arrived faulty, it is real scratchy when turned. Bjorn is very nice and responsive, and is going to fix it of course, but I had to send it off today.:(
When I get it back I will tweak more to see what I can do.

Trending Topics