BJF Honey Bee ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Anje, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Hi,

I'm currently looking toward OD-Boost pedals and BJF pedals seem to have great reviews.
    I would have a few questions on them, especially the Honey Bee

I'm rather looking for pedals that can give me some beautiful creamy-bluesy crunch with a lot of sensitivity and response to playing variations, beeing used in front of some amps set with only little crunch (mostly my little Gibson GA-6 Tweed combo used in small clubs where I can't push my Marshall..), and that sound great both with Humbuckers and single coils.

I've just bought a SBEQ seeing all the great reviews on it for subtle ajustments on tone and light boost possibility.
    Didn't try it yet, but I'm allready thinking about adding another boost-OD for more crunch possibilities, then comes the idea about the Honey Bee :)

What do you think of the HB for the kind of sound I'm looking for ? Would it be a good combo with the SBEQ ?
    Would you have other recommendations - advices ?

thanks!

2. drolling

drolling Member

I use the HB w/black/brownface Fenders and a VoxAC15. Altho' most of my guitars are singlecoil, it works nicely w/my Filter'Tron losded Gretsch as well.

As advertised, it does capture the vibe of a small tweed amp, but at volumes that will keep up w/drums & bass. This is definitely a low gainer, w/a quirky EQ that adds a huge bass boost when turned counter-clockwise. Very cool lo-fi, old school tones.

And it does work great w/SBEQ.

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

The Honey Bee is a great OD.

I think the Timmy is the only pedal better.

4. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

thanks for the info!

for instance would it be ok to get fat warm crunch with a LP in kind of Santana's style ?

5. T-bone

T-bone Member

Not a lot of sustain or compression from the HB.If your looking for that Santana tone I think a Zendrive would be more of what your looking for.

I own a HB and to date it's my favorite low gainer. It can bee sweet as honey or nasty as a bee sting depending how hard the strings are hit.When I turn on the HB it sounds like it's part of the amp-doesn't sound like a pedal to me.

6. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

sounds very nice to me :)

as far as the Santana exemple was concerned I was more thinking about the amount of crunch and "fatness" than the sustain-compression thing

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

Anje - for what you describe I think the good ole Baby Blue OD into the SBEQ is wonderful - the BBOD with the drive about 10-11 gives a tasty touch sensitive breakup that sings a little more than the HB,,,, and the SBEQ is the perfect finishing touch to the BBOD....

8. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I think that it works a bit better with humbuckers. It also rounds off the edges a bit if that's what you're after. I liked it better than the Timmy which I sold. My fave is the EGDM though!

9. drolling

drolling Member

No. Santana's tone's very thick & distorted. He first got that sound from fender amps that were hot-rodded by the guy who makes Mesa Boogies.

But I agree w/the Zendrive recommendation. With the gain dimed and the treble rolled back, you do get a creamy smooth sustain.

10. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

Given your description of what you're looking for, I think the Honey Bee would be a stellar choice. Its a great blues tone, very responsive to player input, and works just great with an amp that has just a little breakup. I don't know that it will do the Santana thing too well, but maybe if it was pushed with a compressor.... maybe that would work. Its a low gain type of overdrive....

11. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

thanks for all the recommendations
    Seems to be a lot of possibilities here, so lot of testing to come I think :)

btw I also have a BSM MKII Treble Booster on the way, I would be curious to know how you would describe the difference between one Treble Booster like the BSM and one OD like the HB or EGDM for instance ?

12. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

ok I've done a little more "in deep" research and I think I will go for the HB and give it a try :)

In particular I've read several opinions saying it sounds great with a treble booster or fuzz in front of it, so I'm pretty curious to hear how it sounds with the coming BSM MKII and my beloved Pro Analog Scary Face.. :cool:

Scary Face / BSM MKII -> MXR Flanger -> MXR Phase90 -> Ultravibe -> HB -> SBEQ -> TTE

should be pretty nice what do you think ? BTW any advice for which pedal first (fuzz or treble booster) ?

so if anyone sees one HB for sale don't hesitate to contact me ;)

13. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

for those of you with the honey bee have you guys tried it w/ p90's? i have an lp special(57) and i'm looking for a good low gain overdrive to match well with it.

14. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

Yes the HB was originally dialed in on a P90 and I recently got to try it with one and thats the best its ever sounded... it being a touch sensitive pedal alot will depend on the signal its fed - more signal, more interesting distortion.....realy tasty with a Tele bridge pup too.... each pickup its fed seems to bring out different qualities and a different blend of responsiveness..... and it really likes to be fed fuzzes and boosters....:)