BJF LGW vs. Maxon OD-820

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EXP, Mar 7, 2006.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

based on the LGW clips sounds like it has more gain and sustain on tap.

has anybody compared these two?

2. jero

jero Member

The Maxon is a TS-808 copy, so if you like classic tubescreamers sound you will love this pedal. The BJF is 'tubescreamerish', it does have the midhonk, but also features very low compression and more gain. It's meant to be used either with a compressor or to boost an already overdriving amp. It won't sound very good on a clean amp in my experience. (I had a LGW)

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've got the OD820, its not a ts808 copy.It is however, the smoothest, phatest, most transparent, most interactive most versatile OD ever.I don't think the clips do it justice.
    Its got a load of gain, it 18v so its got loads of clean headroom, sustains for ever and is really sensitive to pick technique.

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i had both of these. the 820 is a great pedal. it definitely sounds like something in the tubescreamer family, but still very interesting. i thought it excelled at classic rock overdrive kind of tones. not quite as much gain on tap, but more than enough for my needs.

the LGW is as advertised - a tubescreamer for people who don't like tubescreamers ... which is me :) as mentioned above, it has less compression and a bit less mid hump, but still there to fatten up your tone. lots of gain and boost on tap if desired. i think it sounds less aggressive (less snarl and bit), or perhaps more refined than the 820, but that could just be me. smooth but not bland. i like it straight into a clean amp, but apparently others do not.

if i had to generalize, i'd say the 820 might be a better pedal for classic rock type music where you need to take a raunchy solo. the LGW is one of my favorite rhythm OD pedals (a la mclaughlin on bitches brew), and i think it interacts better with other pedals. but again, just my opinion....

5. Craise

Craise Member

I've never played a 820 but own a LGW. I bought 5 BJF within a few months and I'm still learning about them all! As for the LGW, when I first played it alone at home, I wasn't that knocked out by it. Running it into my 64 Princeton Reverb at lower levels. But then I played with the band with the amp on 5-6 and WOW this pedal really came alive. Very dynamic and a wide range of tones. Last week I was reading up on BJF pedals and read about "The GREEN sound" So I ran my LGW into my EGDM. Oh my GOD!! The green sound indeed. This combo of LGW>EGDM sounded better than any Hot Rodded Marshall type amp I've played. Best 80's metal tones I've ever gotten. But Back to the LGW vs 820 ...I'm sure the LGW sounds and plays better...but 820 is way less $ and I'm sure sounds pretty good (as I played a Maxon 808 that I loved for years) But the LGW would be a step up. Go for whichever you can afford. Hope this helps.

6. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

:confused:

7. shblay

shblay Member

I haven't played a LGW, but I agree with the above post.

I've had my OD-820 for 3 years now and it's been great. It just cuts through so well and can dial in tons of tones. Great for classic sounding crunch but also sustains really well.

8. Craise

Craise Member

I stand by this statement! :) Take it for what it's worth... I've never played a Mesa boogie studio 50 amp..but I'm sure my mesa boogie MK2C+ sounds better...same difference. I've never played a Fender RI deluxe ..but I'm sure a 65 fender deluxe sounds better. Get it? But as I stated from all I've read the 820 is a nice pedal...but the BJF stuff is hand made and fine tuned by the maker. Does Maxon do this? Like I said it's about how much Money you have to spend. The maxon I'm sure is a great value and one of the best if not THE best massproduced TS pedal.

9. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

that's fine. :) i just know from comparing them that they are different pedals and each does something better than the other.

10. Craise

Craise Member

Right on...not trying to push anyone either way. That's just what I feel would be true and as I stated I haven't played one personaly... But one is made by some workers in a factory and the LGW is hand made by the Mad Professor! So....you make the call. You can pick up a 820 anywhere (and for cheap)...I think there is a wait for the LGW(and it's $280)...so that might be another point.
    it's all good! Good luck!
    :BEER