BJF/Mad Professor? Same?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Teleking, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I know they say it's the same guy, but what's different here? Why would you change from highly successful pedals to a new name with new names for the pedals?

Is this the same design built by other people type of thing?

2. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

BJF - Designed and built by Bjorn Juhl.

Mad Professor: Designed by Bjorn Juhl, built by other people.

Both are GREAT.

The Mad Professor pedals are all new designs, except the Little Green Wonder.

3. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

yup. MP quality standards are still EXTREMELY high but they are the move towards mass production.

prediction: in 2 years any/every bjfe pedal will be HIGHLY sought after and be going for insane prices. Ok...even more highly sought after and even more insane prices ;)

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Man, why cant MP release the compressor and eq?

5. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

6. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

i'm gonna have a MP FGC very soon. can't wait. and I want the BJFE SBEQ but i don't think I can justify the price for an EQ... even if it is so damn pretty...

7. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The BJF will continue to sell for silly money to people who polish them instead of playing them. The MP will still be $350+ new but might be a little easier to get and wont go up in value because it doesn't have a picture inside and no one wrote the labels on it by hand.

8. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

the bjf will continue to sell because the people buying them will know exactly who built their pedal and just how good at it he is.

9. socal63

socal63 Member

ya, but have you seen the PRICES of those things? the few ive seen were up over $300 a pop... no fricken way.:worried

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

He makes a pretty good amp, too! :AOK

11. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

one day... one day... :dude

12. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I love mine, it is insanely good!

13. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I want one of the new forest green compressors from MP but they are the same price as the BJFs. I thought the whole point of the MP pedals was to be a more widely available cheaper pedal than the BJFs.

14. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

Now that is ....???? polish pedals?? I own BJF pedals to play.....polish:eek:

15. Joses

Joses Member

I own 2 MPs - Mighty Red D & Tiny O Phaser...absolutely awesome :D and I've only ever tried 1 BJF - DRD - and was mightily impressed

One thing though, is it just me or are the paint finishes on the BJFs are really really weak?

16. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

they continue to sell because they are the top of the top in pedal design and execution. bjfe is worth every penny. i've owned Klon, Landgraff and all those high ticket pedals and the bjfe are above and beyond for versatility and useability

17. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Hey dont polish them, youll hurt the paint !!!!!!!!:D

the MP line was created to increase the SUPPLY of BJF designed pedals, not necessarily lower the price ...

BJF pedals are made by Bjorns own hands and are models that require specific tuning to achieve a specific result....

the MP designs are ones that can be tuned by other hands/ears - they are still very high quality constructions they just dont require BJs specific hand/ear tuning....

the 'handmade factory' cant make them much cheaper than BJ himself - the price difference in the US is do to the weak dollar and the costs of distribution .... many places in europe BJFs are cheaper than Fulltones :NUTS

18. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Thanks for the explanation on the MP product line DonneR. Sounds like good Bidness!

The Fulltone thing is absolutely true and laughable I have seen places with OCD going for 230 euros (340 dollars) clyde deluxes and choralflanges for around 330 euros (around 490 dollars). They still sell a fair amount of them though. Usually import wise a good deal in europe is if a shop has a euro price that is on a one to one equivalent with the dollar price.

19. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I've owned two BJF's - Honey Bee and Baby Blue OD and they were both amazing pedals. The paint jobs that chip and come off with velcro was a big factor in my selling them. I know I must be a shallow person but for the money spent I did expect a paint job that would hold up to my constant stomping and moving pedals around so I sold them before they began to look too beat up. The decent profit I made was also a factor, I will not deny. Man, as I write this I realize I must be a complete capitalist dog!

20. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Yeah thats another side of it too - the MP stuff is powdercoated and silkscreened and will stay 'pretty' after much more abuse, and is also a bit easier to replace should you lose possesion of your board in bar or something....;)