BJF Pale Green Compressor Settings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Jan 30, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Hey guys, just got my BJF PGC from Cobra, i absolutely love it. I'm getting some nice sounds out of it. I just wanted to see how you guys are using it, both settings, and it's place in the signal chain.

The Body Knob is quite interesting and i can't seem to get a hang of it.

any help?

thanks, jon

2. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Volume to match, body around 1:00, Comp b/t 11:00 and 1:00 depending on LP or Strat. What I love about the pedal is that its that easy to set it up right!

I have it before OD, but once my SS-3 shows up I'll take my board apart and try it in different places.

3. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I run my main PGC with vol & comp at 11:00 or so, which is just above unity gain for a slight boost, & the body at almost full clockwise, which gives the best tones for singlecoils, IMHO. Once in awhile I'll turn the body knob full conterclockwise, another good setting for singlecoils. I actually can't describe how the body knob works, other than it's good for matching with guitars & amps. A lot of comps suck mucho highs when on, & others are too artificially bright. With the PGC, there are many sweet spots, so just try different settings, & groove on them. If you really want to analyze it, try many settings, write each of them down, with your commentary on the characteristics of each setting, for reference. When I get new pedals, I mess around with their entire range at first, but then I quickly find the number 1 sweetspot sound, & go with it. If by chance the pedal has multiple excellent sweetspots, I can ususally remember them in my head, or a quick knob turning shakedown will reveal them, if I forgot. I try not to fiddle around with all the possibilites too much. For me, this is a big distraction from real music, & real playing, so I focus on finding what sounds good fairly quickly, set it & forget it. I find the PGC excells at enhancing clean tones, but also works extremely well for arena rock, Satriani style sounds with the same setting. Alot of guys leave it on all the time, cuz it makes your whole sound even better. It's killer for pushing dirtboxes, & can do clean boost with the comp down, the volume up above unity, & set body to taste. I run mine 2nd in the chain, before everything else, & after my envelope filter, cuz it has an unusual effect when run with the filter, but it's cool, & a sound I use alot.

4. Teahead

Teahead Member

If I remember correctly, the Body control at Noon is the stock sound of the old two knob PGC, slight bass roll off and increased treble presence? Rolling ccw replaces the little bit of low end that the stock sound removes, where rolling cw removes some of the highs.

With the Body control fully clockwise and compression about 1'o'clock, it sounds close to the warm "Ross" types, like the Keeley, Analogman etc.

Personally I prefer the sound when boosting the level to just beyond Noon, the compression just below Noon and the body around 9'o'clock. This is perfect between my Tele & AC30.

A good way to get to know the Body control, is to put an overdrive or fuzz before the PGC, then the influence of the control is more audible and easier to get to grips with.

5. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

right Teahead, and just putting a clean boost infront of the PGC will give you two levels of compression also - the harder its hit the more it compresses - so having a clean boost > PGC into a drive gives alot of variety and control --- you can jack up the distortion by hitting the dirve harder - the compression/susatin with the comp and both with the boosted comp --- but you have to watch that you dont get toooooo much compression between them all - its a fun stack trick and works with any boost/ comp / drive:AOK

6. drolling

drolling Member

So Jon, does the PGC really sound better than the Diamond comp?

I've been wanting to get the PCG since I got my SBEQ & HoneyBee last fall, but I got a deal on the Diamond that I couldn't refuse.

Having owned both, how would you compare the two?

7. themusicboxstudios

thank you all for the advice, i'll have to try out every one of them.

Drolling, they are both great compressors, but at seems as if the PGC can cover everything the diamond did as far as subtle stuff, and it can also get pretty squishy, but retains all the highs, mids and lows. I still don't love it paired with my tim, but it's a world of a difference compared to the diamond on how well it handles drive pedals, and how it works. At the end of the day, the PGC is the compressor for me. Combined with my Scumback speaker which gives a very subtle compression effect, i have the tone i've been looking for. My friend stated that he liked the diamond compressor more because it was more subtle (the reason i didn't like it haha), but he also only heard the PGC with the compression at 3 o clock. I think the PGC is the way to go. Period. BJF pedals are really a step up but this is the first that i've been fine spending 260 bucks for. love it. i'll try and record some clips.

peace, jon

8. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Good point jon, its important to remember that every part of an amp can add compression too - pre and power amps, trannies and speakers all can compress - its not always a pedal thats adding it.

9. themusicboxstudios

agreed, my amp compresses quite a bit when it starts to break up, so my compressor becomes a little over kill. Right now, i'm just using it for cleans/mild break up and leads. i'm loving it.