BJF PGC vrs ANALOGMAN BICOMP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Has anyone ( tomo?) tried comparing these pedals? Obviously the bicomp will have more versality but I am curious you guys actually kept and why?

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i had both side by side. in a live situation the AM is more versatile simply because it has the 2 switches ... but in any other situation ... the PGC is far more verstatile ... the PGC blows away every compressor i've ever played IMO. I've owned HBE, DIAMOND (does what it does very well), AM, and probable some others all while i owned the pgc ... and it still beat them all. When i had my big gear sale and sold all of my amps and pedals, the PGC and my diamond memory lane were the hardest/last pedals to sell. The PGC can cover all of the ground of all those compressors mentioned, and sound better doing all of it.

i want one again!!!!!!!!!

3. Dana

Dana Guest

I have the Analogman Bi Comp Large Box. I have the PGC on order (ordered 5/12). I currently have the Diamond Compressor too. Once I get the Pine Green Compressor I'll do a comparison and let you know.

The only think I'm hesitant about is that I play Jazz and Rock, and don't like 'squishy' compressors. I hated the Keeley, so my report would be somewhat subjective.

Party on...

4. Teahead

Teahead Member

I'll go out on a limb here and say that you'll love the PGC.

The Body control makes it a very versatile comp, it can dial up a warm, ross-like feel, add treble presence with slight bass roll off, or keep the signal full which is perfect when used as a boost.

5. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread! But does that mean the PGC can do the Ross squish as well as a more subtle compression?

Am on the hunt for a compressor too atm...

Cheers,

Mike

6. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

word.

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I use the PGC and the Keeley, the Keeley being basicaly an improved Ross, for different things. If I want the Ross squish I use the Keeley, the PGC will do that too, but to a lesser extent. The other day I tried to get the Keeley to match the PGC, with the PGC "Comp" knob up full the Keeley came closest if the "S" knob was between a half and 2 thirds the way up, still the tone was quite different. I'd describe the PGC as being more subtle but elegant sounding, a pedal I use when I wan't a clean boosted signal with sustain that doesn't sound compressed but actually is, kind of a sneaky compressor. I use the "Ross", in this case Keeley when I want the very noticable squishy compression, not sneaky but a bold compressor that seems to say, "yes I'm a compressor, so sue me".

8. fatback

fatback Member

I've gone through about ten different comps through the years and I've never been as happy as I am now with my PGC. I totally agree with the earlier posts. It is a very elegant and refined sounding pedal, not to mention quite versatile...

Here's a little clip with a tele hitting the PGC and then on into a Princeton reverb.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=973320717406601599

This time I'm using the PGC with my Breedlove Passport, running into an Acoustic Image, Clarus with a Kurzweil, Mangler in the effects loop.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3397348933204306384

And lastly, here's the PGC between a Grosh baritone and a Crate, Limo.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3765252728707281628&q=bari%27d+at+the+rock

In each case the PGC is giving me plenty of options with the dynamics and sustain of the guitars. Also, the PGC's "body" knob can subtley tweak the tone to bring out more clarity or body, very cool for taming a piezo or getting more bite from a baritone.:AOK

The PGC is a definate keeper for me. Great job Bjorn.

9. Cary Chilton

PGC sounds like the one! I NEVER liked most compressor pedals, as the knee, threshold and attack were all usually too unnatural and in some cases degraded signal pops and other things..... BAD.

10. Cary Chilton

I agree, RE: Keeley, I never like the Keeley compressor at all. However, a buddy and fellow shredder, recently picked one up for fusion stuff on Ebay for 60 USD so he was happy for that price.

11. Tomo

Tomo Member

I love my BJF compressor. I have tried many.

Needed :
    a) Very natural compression without squish
    My SBC with slap guitar

b) Very natural squish comp sound so that I can use this for my volume swell.
    My SBC with Triad

PGC was answer. Mine is Sea Blue color. Body control!!!!

Tomo

12. muddy

muddy Member

i SO wany one of these, more than any other of bjorn's ped's!

ml

13. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

But where in the heck can you get, or even order, a PGC?:NUTS

14. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Just run down to your local PGC Supply Store!

I got my PCG from Dean Farley of Snake Oil Strings.

15. Frosty

Frosty Member

I have had them all, and the PGC is the keeper. Nothing else is like it.

16. analogjunkie

analogjunkie Member

i had the Keeley...

The analogman big box bi comp is a whole different world... the ross compressor gets squish or very open compression.. and the OS is amazing as well.. i use them both..

17. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

The Diamond is very very good.

The BJF is THE ONE!!!

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

Me too. I got mine from Dean.

Tomo

19. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I also agree with the other posts. Its an elegant compressor that still allows you to work the volume. I don't set mine up to be obvious, it just adds a little body to the guitar. Its also very quiet. I sold my AM for this, and am not looking back.

The two comps are very different in what they do, please note.