1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BJF Pink Purple Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fixxxer, May 23, 2006.

1. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Hey guys,

What is the deal with the BJF, Pink Purple Fuzz. The clips sound so killer.
    Any opionons? (good / bad / ugly)

Does anyone use this pedal with humbuckers?

Also why are they so pricey? Are there ultra proprietery parts?, or ultra rare NOS items?

Regardless the clips sound incredible.

Also, do you need to run it first in the line, or can you place it anywhere?

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Mine sounds great. There are a lot of different tones in it too. I love it with humbuckers, there is one setting where I can nail the EJ humbucker tone on the Alien Love Child CD. I really does not sound like a true fuzz IMO, but a really fat OD/Distortion. I really works with my rig when we are playing loud and will not squeal or add too much noise.

3. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

What are you using? I would be using Les Paul's and using it on a clean channel of a Mesa boogie

4. GAT

I'm using a Suhr OD100 Classic, Marshal 1959HW, Matchless Clubman and SC30, Heritage Colonial. The guitars are strats, Tyler or Les Paul, Johnny A., Grosh Setneck, Baker B1 and Santana II. I use it through an already pumped up amp.

5. muddy

muddy Member

the ppf is a hybrid fuzz design of bj's, and it performs with the integrity of an od or distortion, while sounding like a fuzz. in other words, it doesn't suffer from the things you'd want to get rid of in a fuzz, like woof & fart. it works equally well with hb's & sc's, and is one of my absolute FAVE fuzzes on the planet. really. it sounds MASSIVE, it cleans up like a champ, it does double duty as an EXCELLENT boost, and also does that wonderful rhythm grit of jimi's. get it NOW! it is SO worth the $.

ml

6. GAT

I've used it as my only pedal before at gigs. Really works well, you won't regret it!

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Here's a copy of a post I made on the Tophat Forum. I think this covers it...

The BJF Pink Purple Fuzz is the best, most versatile fuzz I've tried yet and it is a without a doubt a permanent addition to my collection. It melds into my Club Royale Combo seamlessly and can literally do OD to Distortion to Fuzz and every shade in between. I'm floored. I did not expect this but it is the best, most musical BJF pedal I've heard yet. I sounds HUGE!

I was initially concerned a bit when I read that it was a smooth fuzz because to me, Jimi (my benchmark) had a smooth but somehow edgy sound at the same time. In actuality, the PPF has both the smoothness and edge of classic fuzzes but with the controlability and predictability of an OD. No tempermental issues here. As usual, the clips on the web don't do it justice. The Musictoyz clips are actually horrible IMHO.

It is unbelievably dynamic and touch sensitive like all of Bjorn's designs. It can swallow you up or just add a light touch around the edges. It doesn't have the nasal metallic squishy attack that some fuzzes have either and never gets too wooly or muddy. It can cut through as much as you want it to.

It is a silicon fuzz but sounds as good as any germanium I've heard. It doesn't clean up with the guitar volume control as quickly as a germ based fuzz but it has all of the sound and vibe. One of my other favorite fuzz sounds is Pete's on Live at Leeds. I think I may find the buzzsaw is in there too!!

For those who don't know, Bjorn is a genius with truly unique designs and is not a pedal cloner.

I just ordered my 5th BJF. The Red Rooster Booster. I am running out of space on my board!!

Sorry about the unabashed raving. I haven't been this excited about a pedal in a while.

8. Craise

Craise Member

I use my PPF with a LP and SG into a 64 Princeton Reverb. Love it...sounds great with Humbuckers for sure.
    :dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude

9. jero

jero Member

this is it, in a nutshell. I love my PPF, I always tend to think it's the ultimate fuzz for players who love fuzz when hearing it on records, but hate it when it's on their boards (due to too much bass, too much treble, mid cut, temperature dependency in case of germanium transistors, etc). :RoCkIn Superb pedal!

10. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

If I use it with a WAH, do I need to get eh FOX ROX retrofit?

11. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

1) It works great with a wah with no FoxRox retrofit (I have an RMC3 with the FoxRox and another wah without...no prob!).

I use mine with SC and buckers. Eats em both.

I use mine into a Komet, Jim Kelley 30/60, Adam Stark Sex amp and a 5A3 tweed Deluxe. Just great into all.

They seem expensive because the exchange rate is bad. I think Mr. Juhl's pedals are well worth it to me. I have the PPF, HB, SBEQ, PGC, DRD, BBOD, BPB and GAF. I had and sold a LGW. All great. All musical. All excellent tools. Dude is a Mad Professor of tone colour.

12. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Don't bother with the Foxrox. You won't need it. I had a Foxrox before and now have a Pro Analog Supa Quack and the PPF sounds great with it.

13. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

The Supaquack, I have reservations about. I digress.........

looks like I need to get this. Although I hate to get something like this at this time... I think I am going to treat myself for X-mas....

PPF!!!!!!!!