BJF Question: Do the PPF and the DynaRed cover some common ground?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Jul 25, 2006.

1. TimH

TimH Member

I've been thinking about getting the PPF for leads mostly but some rhythm work as well. I've never had a fuzz before and as I understand the PPF is kind of a distorto/fuzz. I like a bit of fuzzy grind in my high gain sounds so I imagine this might work and fatback's clips haven't helped the GAS of course. Am I trying to stretch the PPF too far or will it cover some of the cool marshall tones of the Dyna as well?

2. Teahead

Teahead Member

I haven't played the DRD, but I can say that my PPF definitely covers some crunchy overdrive tones, perhaps they are Marshall-esque, perhaps they are tones all of it's own?!

Either way, between the PPF and the EGD I have no desire to try the DRD just yet. You'd be getting a pedal much more versatile than the average fuzz in the PPF, highly recommended.

3. Craise

Craise Member

Both are great pedals...that maybe touch a bit on the same ground, But both really very different. PPF is still a OverdriveyFuzz. Where the Dyna is full on AC/DC Marshall rock and rhythm. Dyna is tighter for rhythm for sure. If I had to pick one it would be the Dyna. I'm using humbuckers....and vintage fender. YMMV IMHO ect...Hard to go wrong with any Bjfe, it's just a matter of what tone you are looking for, what and how you play, and type of amp. Do a search on musictoyz forums...lots of Bjfe info, comparisons and reviews.
    :)

4. TimH

TimH Member

Maybe I could clarify a bit. I'm playing an Anderson Classic with 3 SC pickups into both a DRRI and a Bad Cat Cub. I am a music director at a church and want this pedal to do my high gain leads and some big rhythm stuff.

5. Craise

Craise Member

Yes these Bjfe's would be the ones to consider.
    Dyna Red (Marshall)
    EGDM (Vox)
    Little Green Wonder (a TS like no other..great "does it all" pedal)
    Pink Purple Fuzz (Fuzzy Overdrive)
    All are very dynamic and sound great. Really it's up to you to pick the flavor that you want. Marshall, Vox, TS, or ODfuzz
    Don't think of the LGW as any TS you've played before. It really might be my "goto" Bjfe pedal. Very versatile.
    I'd say the Dyna or LGW would be the way to go.
    Just some thoughts...hope this helps.
    :)

6. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Get them both. :D Or buy both and send one to me? :D :D

7. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

BJF Dyna Red is my go-to pedal. I have not had all of those models, but I can say that the Dyna Red is the best distortion pedal I've ever heard, bar none, for my purposes, YMMV, etc.

8. DocRock

I don't hear pure, traditional "fuzz," as it were, in the PPF. I know it's called a fuzz pedal, and there is definitely fuzz tone in there, but I think that, at some settings, it does cross over into more of a dist/OD sound than a "fuzz" per se. I think the PPF is kinda like a hybrid between a traditional fuzz and an OD/dist. But, just to my ears, and IMO, etc., etc., disclaimer.........

They're both awesome pedals.

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey Tim,

I'm guessing the DR will suit you best.

The PPF, being that it is a fuzz, is a little loose and squishy in the bottom end (as it's supposed to be). It can soung HUGE! But, I don't think it lends itself to the chug, chug thing as much as some others. It can be set as more of an OD/Dist though which tightens things up a bit and gives it more of a crunch. It is a total hybrid of a pedal.

I haven't played the DR but own an EGDM and I'm guessing that the DR will do the rhythm thing better for you. The HB is amazing as well but doesn't have as much gain as the others (something to consider if you are playing a totally clean amp).

Both pedals have many, many flavors available. They certainly have more shades than other pedals on the market.

10. DocRock

WORD. The BJF stuff is all about "shades." I love that there are no absolutes with this stuff. So many possibilities, not only in terms of settings on the pedals themselves, but also in terms of different stacking combinations.

Yes, the PPF is definitely more loose on the bottom like a fuzz. The DRD is a more "solid" sounding pedal for sure.

I eventually want them all. I think that's gonna take a while....

Cheers,

Doc :)

11. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

DRD is tight and great Marshall super rock sound (think 70's to 80's, but minus the over compression and saturation).

12. TimH

TimH Member

cool guys. Thanks! Keep it coming.