BJF question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by usc96, Jun 17, 2008.

1. usc96

usc96 Member

Someone has offered to sell me either their honey bee or their pine green compressor.

I've never tried either, plus I've never tried a compressor.

My current dirt pedals are LDO, DRD, Sunlion and Cot-50.

If you were going to pick one, which would it be, the honey bee or the PGC?

Thanks.

2. RCstudios

RCstudios Member

shoot depending on the cost i'd try to buy both.... both those pedals have been on my board now a couple of years, great pedals. i play fairly clean though; if your looking for a more distortion sound with long sustain "imo" these will not work. however looking for picking dynamics they are great.

rc

3. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

They're both great. Honey bee is a very cool, unique and dynamic log gain OD. PGC is an amazing solo boost...really brings out the harmonics and is remarkably quiet. Can't go wrong with either. If I had to choose, I probably pick the Bee by a hair.

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Never really liked compression, so I'd go with the Honey Bee. I've had both the DRD and the HB, and they are both killer. I used the Bee more though. Sold it in a moment of weakness....

5. usc96

usc96 Member

You guys are making this difficult. I just did some recording using my LDO, and played with the built in compressor on garageband, and it sounded pretty nice, making me think I should get the PGC. Now all these great reviews of the HB. What to do? Do I really need another OD? How different is the HB from a tube screamer?

6. Rock72

Rock72 Member

The HB is IMO different to most OD's. It is a low-gain OD, which enjoys stacking and it has this great sound (cranked tweed - supro, with a nature knob which gives great flexibility) with great sensitvity responding nicely to the player's dynamic. I used it mostly for open chords, and it just sounded great. At the same time as I had it, I also had the LDO (which would get you in the tubescreamer camp) and it was very different. Not able to dial in the LDO similar to the HB.

The HB is on my list of pedals to buy back..

7. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

Hi Bro,

Tough one. I've never been lucky enough to try that comp. However, of the BJF's I've tried the HB, EGDM, & SBEQ are trulely special. If you have a chance to get a HB, I would definitely encourage you to do so. Having said that, I know the HB comes up for sale a bit more frequently then that comp. So I guess the ball is still in your court...

I would also add that stacking another OD into the HB is bad ass, you'd have to hear it to truely appreciate it.

8. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

honey bee by 2- hairs....:BEER

9. usc96

usc96 Member

I guess I need to get both. GC2004, where are you in SC? I'm in MP.

10. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

greenville.........honey bee stacks awesome and no other pedal is designed like it!!!;)

11. usc96

usc96 Member

I went to school in Spartanburg many moons ago. :banana

12. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I have had the BJF HB, the SBEQ, PGC, and they are all great. I ended up selling the other BJF pedals and have had the HB for close to 2 years now. It stacks wonderfully with the LDO, as I had one as well. For me if I could only have one it would be the HB. That pedal is the most dynamic, amp like low OD pedal I have played. Good luck, I am sure you will make the right choice in the end. (GET BOTH) ;)

13. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I could get the HB sound with a Sunlion and rolling back the volume knob jus right... and it was a bit clearer... or maybe I just liked that better... cant remember now other than I decided the HB was a bit redundant. btw, thats why BJorn has made the deluxe HB. It sounds great into a boost or beano just like a sunface fuzz does.

14. emjee

emjee Member

I have a PGC and it stacks very well with anything, especially the HB. The PGC will make the HB sound better than it ever will by itself. (I guess that goes without saying, but I have owned both, but since getting bit by the fuzz bug I sold the HB). I also have to agree if you get both, you will NOT regret it. See USC, they are two completely different pedals.
    You have to remember one thing about the BJF pedals: Bjorn has a specific sound in mind when building each one. The HB was built to sound just like the best cranked Supro amp, and boy does it ever. However if you already have found your "OD to die for", then I would go with the PGC. As has been said, the PGC makes for a very good boost pedal on its own, and there arent many (any?) comp pedals you can say that about. This is what makes Bjorns pedals unique and command the prices they do. All IMHO of course.

MG

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

IMO PGC is his best pedal...if you play single coil guitars this compressor is special especially with strats...it also sounds great pushing Landgraffs and other BJF dirt boxes not too mention what it does to your cleans...it's also amazing for slide...

I don't use it much with my humbucking or acoustic guitars but for single coils it can't be beat as it's more of a tone enhancer than compressor...it's simply awesome...

I've had 3 HBs and they are no longer here...too much in the low mids and not enough high end for my tastes...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

It's a very tough choice.
    As Seegs noted, the PGC is probably *the* best comp, especially for single coils. With my strat it was amazing. I foolishly sold it to fund a Lovetone pedal (I love the Lovetone, though :D), but I'm gonna' pick another one up this summer, most likely.

That said, I'd go w/ the PGC if you're using a single coil guitar (not to say that they're not great w/ HB-equipped guitars) and the HB either way. So... I dunno :)

17. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

Hard choice......i have both landgraff pedals.....and the ldo+honeybee sounds .superb...........but the compressor would be cool also................compressor+ldo..-interesting!!!:BEER