BJF Red Rooster Booster RRB opinions/experiences...please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by daphil_1, Feb 5, 2006.

1. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Hello world,

I've recently done away with Overdrives and distortions as I have discovered that nothing quite beats the sound of my orange ad30htc cranked to the preverbial. I crank the amp and the gain (both to around 3 o'clock) and use my volume control on my ES. I use a zvex super duper as a clean and lead boost with one stage being on at all times to boost presence. Since I have more gain pumping through my amp now - the linear circuit in the 2 in 1 cant handle it - it simply becomes too noisy - oppressively so. What I am after is a clean boost that is gonna stay relatively quiet at all levels...without having to go in for a noise reducer or somthing similar. I have heard that the BJF rooster booster adds great sparkle and has quite alot of headroom and is quiet.

Can you guys offer me some advice firstly on the RRB or on alternate options?

Thanks a bundle!

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

This may not be a factor in your case, but I used to run store that was an Orange dealer and had lots of higher gain noise issues that were related to low quality standard preamp valves. If you haven't tried really high quality preamp tubes I'd give this a go for sure. The Zvex units do add a lot of top end sparkle as well as gain so if any tubes were even slightly iffy they'd get found out by the Zvex and a high preamp gain setting for sure. As a side note I Also had some reliability issues with the stock rectifiers in the Oranges too. If you haven't changed all the tubes I'd at least look at carrying a spare rectifer with you.

As far as a low noise booster goes I've only used the Zvex briefly and haven't got to compare it with others from a noise perspective, but I have found my RC Booster to be pretty quiet. It's certainly quieter than my Fatboost was.

As far as dual boosters go if you wanted something with that functionality, I guess the Homebrew Dos Mos and the Love Pedal Twin Sixty would be worth a look.

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

yeah ditto - the superduper is pumping your amp harder so the noise goes up too - its not the pedal....... any level booster will increase the percieved noise....
    gotta clean the amp first....... might change your mind on those distortion pedals too

( oh and the RRB is an excellent choice, it has a useful highmid push that is great for pushing amps over the edge in just t he right spot----- but get the amp in shape first....)

4. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Thanks for the replies. The amp is sweet. I have JJ tesla preamp and NOS el84 and a mullard rectifier. The amp is really quiet when at high gain - Its just when the boost enters the equation. I know its an extra gain stage - but this is a loud static noise. Mr Zvex himself said there was no fault in the pedal its just that it will be very noisy with plenty of gain.

Donner - so you recommend the RRB? Does it add sparkle whilst clean? And I cant re-think the overdrives - your preaching to the newly converted - cranking amps is the most dynamic and unrivalled overdrive IMO :dude

5. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Surely some boosts are quiter than others?

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

well hitting t he tubes harder - does two things

one the overall volume gets louder , so any noise does too...

AND the tubes them selves are pushed harder so they distort more and any noise imbalance is amplified......

what do you want from the boost - level increase or increased distortion or both ???

if t he amp had a loop you could put the boost t here and then it would be after t he preamp tubes which would help (unless your wanting t he increased distotion from the pres........)

sure some are quieter ---- but it is still amplifying the noise in the amp.......( this is t he beauty of running distortion pedals into a clean amp ;) )

7. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Thanks Donner - I am looking primarily for a clean boost that will add sparkle and presence - also to give it "plenty" if required.

8. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

I am willing to transplant some gain with the use of the boost. Mabye dialling down to 12.00 o'clock.

9. playon

playon Supporting Member

The Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso is a killer sounding clean boost with lots of headroom...