BJF Red Rooster Booster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Aug 2, 2006.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

What is unique about this pedal? What makes it better than say an RC booster, Sex Drive, etc.

2. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

3. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey 20,

I just saw this thread. I owned the RC and found it to be a bit sterile.

The Red Rooster is more of a Rock Boost in a way. It is designed to push the preamp stage of your amp into natural distortion. I absolutely LOVE it and I think it is one of Bjorn's underrated pedals. It makes things sound huge, uncompressed, open and 3D. It is perfect for Vox style amps that really just require a boost. It is also voiced extremely well for Teles.

While it is not totally transparent it adds a touch of sparkle in the upper mids and highs that you will undoubtedly like alot. I use it to push my Tophat (20 Watt AC30 style circut) into natural amp od with very little coloration. I also use it to push my other pedals more. This is one of my favorite BJF's.

If you want an even more transparent "clean" boost, I would try the Baby Pink Boost. If you're looking for a "rock" boost to add a slight kick or a huge kick to your amp, then this might be it.

What amps and guitars are you using?

4. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Thanks a lot for the response. I'm using a Les Paul Custom through a '63 bassman head through 4x12 w/ v30's. I think the RRB is probably exactly what I need to boost my Eternity and it will probably sound pretty dang good just boosting my old bassman.

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

No problem. I absolutely LOVE this booster. Previously I had owned an RC and a Timmy (which is an OD that can be dialed in for boost too). The Timmy would be more cost effective for sure and could be another flavor od. Another option is the COT 50 which I haven't tried but I have owned an Eternity which was replaced by my EGDM.

I sold both the RC and the Timmy in favor of BJF pedals. The RRB should run you around $255 (which is less than the other BJFs). Email Dean Farley, he is the #1 BJF Dealer worldwide. LeoMuser@aol.com

You can also email Bjorn and tell him about your setup. He'll let you know which of his pedals will work best for your application.

bjfelectronics@mac.com

The Honey Bee might suit you as a lighter OD and I bet the Dyna Red would seriously give your Eternity a run for it's money! The cool thing is all of these pedals hold most of their worth in the used market so you can always sell them if they're not what you were looking for.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

6. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

But why would you sell them? (Besides a different BJF pedal?)

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Re-read the above ;)

8. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I actually already have a Honey Bee, and I love it. I have considered a Dyna Red but I think right now the RRB is more of a priority, especially since I really love the Eternity. Also I just got an email saying that Ed has my Halophaze ready so I really can't afford 2 BJF's and a Halophaze.

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Got it. The Halophaze is really sweet!

The RRB into the HB sounds fantastic. It puts my Tele into early Led Zep era. You will really dig it. I think the RRB will be a great kicker for the Eternity.

My next is the PGC.

10. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

+1000