BJF: Sea Blue EQ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jcshirke, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

This question is for Sea Blue EQ users. I haven't spent much time with this pedal yet. How are you guys using it? I'd really like to hear from those people who think it's made a big impact on their sound in combination with with other pedals and/or on its own. Bottom line is that I'm not sure if I want (or need) to hang onto this pedal, so I'd like to give it a fair shot before making a decision.

So, what are your favorite uses/settings?? :)

Thanks.

2. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I use it as a sweetner. Think of you amp to guitar tone as tea. With the SBEQ, it is Sweet Tea! :) Seriously, it is not a colorless pedal...it adds a nice flavor to the tone and lets you adjust the mids to be just how you like them. It's an "always on" pedal for me. Love it. Hope that helps!

3. jcshirke

Do you use it with any OD pedals? Or would the thing to do be to try it with guitar/amp only and then add other pedals into the mix?

Thanks for the reply.

4. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

It's near the end of my chain and I use it with everything. Hope that helps!

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I run it at 18V which makes it more transparent and adds a touch of sparkle.

6. zion

zion Supporting Member

Lately I've had mine in front of my wah early in line. Nice and tight boost for the wah and all the drive pedals. Really neat pedal! Looking at mine right now, the volume is at noon, right at the point of clipping.

7. jcshirke

Nice tips so far...thanks to everyone. Keep 'em coming!

8. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

i had a SBEQ in a tourbox last year. It was placed fairly early in a long chain, so i was using it to boost a Honey Bee, a Pro Analog Power Driver, and also stacked with all three pedals. Extremely great tones to be had between those three....

9. jcshirke

I've got a Honey Bee, so I can try putting the SBEQ in front of it. I have a Switchable, so maybe I should just put the SBEQ on a loop and try it out with all my OD pedals.

Has it really helped shape everyone's tone a lot--as in you wouldn't want to go without it?

10. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

Apologies for the noobish question, but I love to know that that is!:eek:

-LarryW

11. jcshirke

www.soundsculpture.com

I have the GL model. Read all about it there, but if you have any questions, just ask.

12. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Your impression of the SBEQ will likely have alot to do with the speakers you choose ...
    To me it reveals itself the most with a revealing amp (duh:)) - but I mean if you have an already warm or even darkish amp then you may not have use for the sweetly warming treble ceiling and the slight harmonic addition to an overdrive pushing it......
    I think it shows itself best into BF Fenders or even alnico voxes ---
    It sort of adds what a Greenback adds without losing what a Jensen has - but if your already playing thru celestions its just becomes a nicely balanced EQ/Booster... :AOK

13. jcshirke

The amps I'll be using with the SBEQ: Germino Lead 55, Tone King Meteor II and/or a forthcoming amp from Psionic Audio.

14. Don Rusk

Speakers ?

Tone Kings can be finicky and the SBEQ might be a big help after whatever OD you choose..

15. jcshirke

whoops, my bad. Sorry...

Regular ol' Greenbacks with the Germino ( 2 x 12)
    Tone King has its own custom speaker
    New amp will have Weber 12f150 and 12f150b speakers in a 2 x 12

I also have a couple Alnico Voxes, since you mentioned them previously.

Thanks.

16. Don Rusk

Perfect --- set your amps up the way you like them clean - then set t he SBEQ for how you like it and keep it the same but move it to the next amp

then try the same thing running a drive into it at different volumes and aclimate your ear to what its doing (this also could really apply to any effect testing)

I generally use the SBEQ as a bridge between my pedal board and my speakers...

17. jcshirke

Thanks a lot, DonneR. That'll keep me busy for a while. Much appreciated!

18. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Mayo into a Seablue yielded a great articlate fuzz tone. Clyde Deluxe into a Seablue bought out some more mids that were not as nasal sounding. With the level up a bit it makes a nice boost that when played with a clone chorus into the clean side of my Slant 6V is a very pretty tone that will start to breakup a bit with a heavy pick attack like a low overdrive. Overall its pretty hard to get a bad tone out of it.

19. Teahead

Teahead Member

Donner is spot on, as usual. Try the SBEQ last in line and think of it as a fine tuner to balance your pedals with the amp. It's great as a treble limiter with my AC30 and currently doing a heck of a job boosting the front end of a Cornell 18/20 Plexi.

A couple of things worth trying, additional voltage, as JKoeth said, 18v or even 12v if you have it will open the pedal up nicely and is very much suited to running it last in line. Also try setting one or both of the treble and bass controls at zero, or maximum and then slowly bring up the volume control and listen to how it changes as you crank it. This helped me get a feel for how to tune bass, mids and treble with the SBEQ and gave me a better understanding of how to use it.

20. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

Many thanks for the info! I'd forgotten about those. Definitely tacking one of these on to my GAS list.

Cool thread on the SBEQ btw! :dude