BJF, Yeah Baby!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fenderbender4, Jun 30, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I ordered an Emerald Green, Honey Bee, and Little Green Wonder. I've had BJF pedals before but I've always had to end up selling them, this time they're keepers though. These things are awesome! I can't wait!

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Does BJF make a pedal that is in the tone/sound of a RAT but without the fuzzy/fizzyness?? I might be interested in something like that.

3. fenderbender4

Never Played a RAT, but you might want to try a Dyna Red Distortion pedal if you're going for hard rock. It is my favorite high gain pedal (or the G2D Morpheus depending on what I want). It is one great pedal. The treble never gets sharp, trust me on this I probably have overly sensitive ears to high frequencies (I thought the Fuch's ODSLX clean sounded a little chincy). It just kind of adds an edge to the sound. Killer Killer Killer. Bjorn's stuff I would say is tops although I've never played a Landgraff. It's expensive (very expensive) but always great sounding.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well, the RAT isn't really "hard rock" per sey... it's really a high gain distoriton with the EQ curve of a good OD. I've heard clips of the Dyna Red and it seemd to be too "hard rock" for my tastes, not enough mid content. The Emerald Green I've seen compared to a Vox style distortion, is this the case??

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

PS. Maybe I had the wrong impression of the Dyna Red. What is the mid content like? Scooped a bit, unity??

6. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Bjorn's new "Rrrr" pedal has an aggressive midrange but is smoother than a Rat while having about the same amount of distortion. Where a Rat can get all nasally and have a fizzy, untamed sound, the BJF is closer to an early EVH tone, refined and balanced. Sorry I don't know what the official name of that pedal will be yet; I only tried the prototype of Donner's, and the working title seems to be "Rrrr." :)

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Cool, so I'm not the only one interested in something like this...

8. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Bjorn is one of the few master grade pedal makers. I'd say that if he stopped making them the prices for the ones already made would be double what the Way Huge pedals are fetching. Luckily he's still making them. When he went to the University of Pedal Making, I'm glad he refused to sign up for the elective "How to Build Sucky Pedals 101".

Fenderbender4, you just have to get the Pale Green Compressor!

The Dyna Red is a great pedal, but it's not Rat like. My number one pedal quest is for an improved boutique Rat clone. Tell me more about this "Rrrr" pedal, if Bjorn has channeled his genius to solving the Rat's issues I'll buy one today at any cost. My favorite pedal is my old Proco Rat, I love it, I hate it, but I love it more than any of my pedals. I like that it's tone is "untamed", but I don't like the narrow Q that you can never get right. The Rat is an absolutely aggressive tone, it's arrogant, in your face, and cuts through everything, the Jeff Beck of the pedal world. It's not smooth and it shouldn't be, for smooth distortion I have the Zendrive. Smooth distortion is like a milkshake, the Rat is like a shot of Jack Daniels. Smooth is wearing slacks, loafers and a polo shirt, the Rat is tattoos, nose rings and a 3 patch biker jacket. If Bjorn is building an improved Rat, I want one, and I want it now!
    :RoCkIn :dude :Devil :p :RoCkIn

9. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I thought Donner mentioned in a previous thread that the "Rrrr" (or was it Striped R) was more of classic rock pedal and could get Boston tones as well. As you have also played this pedal, did you hear "Boston" in this box? Curious as I play some Boston covers.

10. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Dyna Red is NOT scooped to my ears. That's one of the reasons why I bought it. While it is not a metal pedal, it is an excellent high gainer--the best one I've ever played through, for my purposes, at least. It was at the end of a long search for me. I call it my "stadium" pedal, as it really nails that over-the-top "stadium sound" from the late 70's-into the 80's.

11. A440

A440 Member

IMO, the older stock rats are smoother and creamier than the current RAT2 incarnation

if you can find one of the small box ones without the LED, give it a try !

sorry for the derail, I just love rats :)

12. fenderbender4

Yeah, definitely not scooped. The mids are still there. Marshallalicious I would say. I know the gain increases exponentially as you turn the gain up. The EGDM is definitely voxey. Dang it! Another BJF pedal. There's another $280 out the door.

13. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I didn't give it a thorough workout, but the stripes demanded I play something Eddie. So I whipped out immediately with the "You Really Got Me" hook, and it nailed it. Then, while I was on that A chord trip, I went into some "Custard Pie" Led Zep and played a few solo licks in A-minor with those bends into unity. Really an addictive pedal. I think it'll do just about any aggressive rawk tone you want from the mid-late 70's era. I think it has a bit more of a "snarl" to it than the more scooped, cultured tones I associate with Boston, though.

14. fatback

fatback Member

Me thinks there will be a bit of a riot when the Rrrrrr gets released... Maybe Dean and Donner should install some water cannons around their places to hold off the tone-hungry hordes... (I'll be the tall one in the back with the torch. ;) )

Just so we are on the same page... is that "Rrr" like a pirate might say or more of a rolling "r" as in Charro! ...?
    :jo

a little OT:

Sir Skreddy, I'm passing the fatbox containing your three beauties on to His Royal Grouchiness today and I'm already feeling some separation anxiety for the Pinkmour. I think my strat's neck-pickup is in love!
    :AOK

15. enickma

enickma Member

You described a RAT perfectly. It's a unique pedal that still to this day has a voicing all it's own. You can't really improve upon it .. it's a classic. The slight fuzz and growl ... total attitude. You may want to try the Keeley mod for the narrow Q.

16. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Oh it's definitely the former; it's a pirate's Rrrrr!

I'll get some boxes to Donner shortly for his magic.

17. fenderbender4

Donner......you are getting sleepy.......you have a sudden urge to give me an "Rrrrr" pedal............

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

RRRR Avast me hardies !!!! ( How come there isnt a pirate smiley ???):RoCkIn

Yikes ! This got out of hand quick... the Arrr/Model R was a prototype demo that got out of hand sort of,,,, but its value is pretty quickly obvious to those that heard it...

Oh the Boston reference, I was more referring to how it easily slips into useful feedback like alot of those places in Boston songs ...

the chord crunch is more like Skreddy said - that bouncing forward moving sound on early EVH, or ZZTop depending on where your volume kob is , or even Scorpions type stuff --- you get the idea..... the beauty of it is the way it slips into feedback without squealing or sounding like a honking goose in the mids, but still has a great 'fits anywhere' drive sound...... I really enjoy it and cant find a reason to take it off my board ( except maybe to put it back in the safe deposit box) .

The winds of change are blowing the old pirate ship around these days..... it aslo reminds me that the Honey Bee was also a one off pedal made for a Guitar Show as eye candy, and it found some friends :AOK [​IMG]

19. Brick

Brick Member

[​IMG]

That pedal sounds too cool.

Saving up just incase

20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Are you saying it's a hush, hush thing??? "Out of hand"... Or is it something we really think Bjorn will release???