Bjf

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KRosser, Dec 16, 2005.

1. KRosser

KRosser Member

So, I was poking my head into Westwood Music today, and lo and behold, they had a BJF Dyna Red and BJF Pink Purple Fuzz. Since I bought a Honey Bee a couple weeks ago and really love it, I gave both of them a spin.

I played a couple Versoul Strats they had through a Carr Rambler, a little amp I really like. The Dyna Red just blew me away. A really great full sounding distortion that sounds great no matter where you set the drive level. Needless to say, it came home with me...I'm really looking forward to getting to stretch out on this thing some more.

And the Pink Purple? I liked that one a lot too, but since I had literally just sent a fellow GP'er the Paypal for his used one two days before I didn't spend too much time road testing it....

I'm really knocked out by these BJF pedals...between the Honey Bee & Dyna Red now I feel a whole new approach to "grit" coming on, and with the Pink Purple on its way...

I'm thinking I'd like to try one of those Little Green Wonders - it's billed as the BJF 'improvement' on a Tube Screamer? My curiosity is definitely piqued...

2. elambo

elambo Member

I'm so tired of all the hype. Every pedal is "amazing," but I wanted an improved Tube Screamer also, and the Emerald Green Distortion Machine came highly suggested (I believed this hype for some reason) so I bought one. I have to say, the hype is absolutely true about BJF. I have some very high-end pedals on my board but the EGDM gets used on just about every session. Sea Blue EQ is next for me. Or maybe the univibe pedal.

3. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

I'm glad you enjoy the EGDM, but perhaps a LGW is closer to your quest for an "improved" TS type pedal?

I use these:
    Pale Green Compressor
    Dyna Red Distortion
    Baby Blue OD
    Little Green Wonder OD
    Pink Purple Fuzz
    Green Apple Fuzz
    Honey Bee OD
    Sea Blue EQ

I think Bjorn has a gifted and musical ear coupled to an interesting mind. Tonight, I will be playing a casual with my keyboardist and a few other folks. BJFE pedals will be part of the palette I'll use to paint sound.

4. Richards

Richards Silver Supporting Member

Will bjorn be making any other types of effects pedals in the near future? . I am planning on buying the EGDM and the SBEQ very soon. And see where it takes me from there with this line of pedals. Thanks

5. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I've got an Emerald Green coming and am stoked. I'm looking for something with a bit more grunt than my favorite Timmy... I did struggle between the EGDM and the Dyna Red for awhile... hope I made the right choice.

It was hard for me to guage from the clips on the MusicToyz site, the Dyna Red clip was SOOO maxed out with the gain it was too much for me. But I wonder how it sounds with the gain lower...

We need some BJF clips here!

(BTW - the little intro on the MusicToyz site before the clip has the WORST guitar tone ever. Ironic, in'nit?)

6. KRosser

KRosser Member

Some casual! :D

Can you tell me a little about the Green Apple Fuzz? Is that one of his 'custom' jobs or is it a regular model?

7. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I'm intrigued by the Dyna Red. I'm always disappointed with the lack of "thump" that I get out of most distortion pedals in my rig. I'm currently using an Ibanez Tube King, which beat my Menatone KOTB in a head to head shoot out because it was more 3D sounding. Both pedals though lacked that amp like thud.

I'm thinking I'd like to try the Dyna Red, or the Xotic BB Preamp. I have a feeling Alf's Grinder would be too high gain for my needs. I'm really just looking for JCM 800 type tones.

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i'll make some clips of my EGDM sometime this weekend :).

9. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

For the gig, I'll bring the PGC, PPF, HB and a Echoplex EP3 delay.

Here's the skinny on the GAF:
    "Hi! It was the 2nd CAF custom made for me (Tommy) the first one TAF (TastyAppleFuzz) was such art that I didn't want to take it to all the shows we were to do. That's why GAF says WormWagonStage on the lower front. It was my custom Worm Wagon stage model CAF!"

So dere ya go. Its GREAT.

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

The Dyna Red is kinda high gain. It's just about the best 'dimed Marshall' sounding thing that I've heard. (Not that I've heard everything - but still - wow)

11. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I know the DRD and EGDM has a great bottom end reponse. I am also curious about the LGW, but since it has an op amp, I am concern though more transparent than a ts9, IS THERE ANY BASS CUT? Has anbody here tried the lgw?

thanks

12. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

¡Hola Elabore cerveza! ¡Felices fiestas y los mejores tiempos del año!

I run my Echoplex into the front end of my amps, like God intended. So pedals that push too hard can muddy it up a bit. That's one reason why Bjorn's pedals and his basic aesthetic work SO WELL with the EP. You can tailor the feel and the gain structure upstream of the EP and it stays clear and beautiful.

So Heck Yeah! The Mad 'Fessor does it up good with the EP!

Just found out my keyboard player is ill, so I need to write charts for the horns and scare up a bassman to hold down the bottom end. ZOIKS!

Hasta muchacho, Ricardo

13. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

14. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

15. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

16. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

nice review Dr Rico thanks for sharing :)

btw I love old little Tweed combos too for that kind of gig, here's mine (with the 2 BJF coming soon, can't wait to plug in them :) )

[​IMG]

I might leave the TTE home too depending on the night

17. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Hey Anje, that is SCHWEET, man! That looks alot like what I set up when I bring "more":

Teese RMC3 wah
    Lovepedal Believe or BJFE GAF or FoxRox Octron or Lovepedal Karl
    /13 Dyna Ranger
    BJFE PGC
    BJFE PPF (though Sybil did it last night)
    FoxRox TZF flanger or Boss HF-2
    Red Witch Moon Phaser or Boss Ph1r
    BJFE LGW or Maxon OD808 or Maxon SD9
    BJFE HB
    BJFE SBEQ
    Echoplex EP3

So: wah -> fuzz ->treble booster->swirlies->OD->sound sculpting->Delay

Cool!
    AMP

18. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

thanks! yes cool, very similar setups, yours sounds real nice too!

btw do you use your BJF HB with the Treble Booster on at the same time ? how do you like it and what kind of sounds that gives you ? I've read that the HB likes to be fed with a TB..;)

19. fatback

fatback Member

This seems like the right thread;)

I was in LA over Christmas and stopped by Westwood music before I left. I tried a whole bunch of pedals, but the clear stand-out was definately the one bjf pedal they had, a Pink Purple Fuzz. Wow, it was just so creamy and responsive with plenty of edge and character. It was one of the quietest fuzzes I've tried, with no incesant fizzing or buzzing. Hearing the PPF through the clean channel of a Bad Cat 30r didn't hurt either. I'm really looking forward to getting one in 2006.

20. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I'm curious of the DRD after hearing all the praise..
    Has anyone compared the DRD with a SCOD, Emma ReezaFRATzitz or Menatone KotB and how do they compare? Those pedals sounded good or sometimes even great, but are a bit too processed sounding for my tastes.

What about the Tonebone Classic versus the BJF DRD?

How is the eq curve of the DRD? Does it maintain the lows, what about high frequencies? With the SCOD the problem (the only one actually, and it was not so pronounced with a Les Paul, but with Fender electrics) was for me the boost in highs.. With Emma there was this huge bottom end coming in that wasn't musical or natural. My Bad Cat has great natural bottom end and it just felt the hump was there to create a good "wow" expression for when you turn it on for the first time.

Any thoughts? It would be really cool to check out some bjf products. I think the whole vibe around it is pretty cool, I liked Björns thoughts in the "price of the E"-thread, he seems to be a really cool, genuine guy. Maybe a Fuzz or a distortion for me, 'cause I think I'll have a pause with od pedals for a while, having a Timmy and Eternity coming and already having couple of Hot Cakes and a COT.