1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BJFE Dyna Red vs Model R

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by majorledhead, Jan 25, 2008.

1. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Can someone explain what the sonic differences are of these two pedals ? On the Youtube demo the R sounds --------- Better. For lack of a better word. Since I'm spending my retirement dollars on a BJFE based pedal board, whats another $100 for some tone.

2. zion

zion Supporting Member

Not much help here other than for me I sold the Dyna and kept the R. To me the Dyna has some highs in the voicing that didn't work well with my rig, where as the R is a stronger tone. I've recently been playing the R with the drive backed off and its just a great pedal with a complete range which is a very important criteria for me to keep the pedal. I want great sounds from the full range the pedal has to offer and the R delivers! Stacks killer with a Pink Purple Fuzz as well and I've been rockin' it with both single coils and buckers. There is an R for sale around here and I'd pickin' that thang up!

3. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

I haven't had any experience, but The R is very rif dependent pikups and speakers play a key factor with this pedal. I've heard for being a distortion pedal it's very versitile, and can get very 80's guitar hero arena rock.

JKoeth on the here has one for sale, I believe.

I used to have my eye out for one of these, but switched my focus more to the CAF and possibly the LGW or SYOD/SOOD when those circuits are finalized...also have an eye out for the PGC. Right now my drive distortion needs are solid with the HB, EGD, and RRB. The SBEQ is nice to shape things up.

it's easy to see why these pedals kick ass

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

the R is a specialty item.
    It has a particular mid push that is amazing with the right speakers like Celestions and some Voxes that have a good mid content for the R to work with.... in the right rig I would put it up against anything.....

in the wrong rig I would put it up against the wall for target practice :AOK - it sounded terrible thru a Silverface Vibrolux ( scooped mid speakers, sharp treble amp....)

The DRD sounds good thru just about anything and can be adjusted to work with Fenders/Marshalls/Voxes etc....

So if you need something to travel well between amps - DRD

If you can mate to one amp/cab - R

5. justonwo

justonwo Member

DonneR, does a 4x12 G12-65 cabinet with a Super Lead or OD-100 head qualify as "the right setup" in your experience?

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Yeah that should sound great with either/both ... would just depend on which you preferred

7. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

For future references (since I'm not in the market)

Donner,

would it work well with a Tophat Club Royale (Think 60's marshall JTM45/Plexi and AC15 or AC30TB...20ish watts) with either G12H30's, Blue's or a mix-match?

8. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Thanks guys. My main rig has 2x10 tonetubby HE1's and a 12'' H-75 Scumback. I believe this setup is pretty mid heavy. My #2 amp has a 15 watt Celestion Blue, which also isn't weak in the mids. I have a HoneyBee and a SeaBlue EQ and am so impressed that its shaking my Lovepedal loyalty. I'm hoping to add one of the gems from the post title and replace my mimic 2 delay with a Mad Professor Deep Blue. Hoping this will be a potent cure for pedal G.A.S..

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Well cant help with the GAS - the R into the Honey Bee is amazing ....

the R is probably closest to a big mean EGDM - if youve had success with the EGDM - the R goes further into the mid pushing and singing feedback......

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Thats the MP Mighty Red Distortion - hard to keep them all straight ....

R is more chunky butt rock and singing leads ~ VanHalen ZZTop

11. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

It is hard...too many red drive/distortion/boosts :).

The R can have more mids than the EGD? The EGD is mid-crazy!

12. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Yeah again alot depends on the pickups/speakers you use , mids is a +/- thing ;)

the R scuplts the mids in a particular way, that usually might be too much, but works really well for getting singing feedback easily and a pushy forward tone --- but if the speakers have no mids or the pickups push no mids , the R has nothing to manipulate --- kind of like putting a 100watt Marshall on 1 and wondering where the huge distortion is ;)

13. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

I'm pretty sure my speakers are giving off a healthy dose of mids (cele H30 and a Fane V30, soon to be another Cele H30). I'm not sure of my pickups though...They're a set of Harmonic design Vintage pluses in my tele. They seemed to get more twangy (mids?) after I dumped the heavy steel 6-saddle bridge put on a light-weight three saddle brass bridge.

14. justonwo

justonwo Member

Hmmm . . . I spent a lot of time with the Model R yesterday through my Super Lead and OD-100 SE+. Funny enough, the Model R was my least favorite of all the distortions/overdrives I have on my board (see my signature for a list). It had a really heavy mid emphasis that couldn't be dialed out. It sounded fine for lead work, but it was a little too woofy for chords.

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

FYI, I didn't really dig the R with my Club Royale. They had an odd interaction, got real woofy and bassy. From my experience, it seems like it would be EXTREMELY amp/speaker and even guitar dependent.

The DRD on the other hand is probably the best distortion pedal on the planet, period dood. :AOK Also I'm Incinerator, BJF's pedals stock don't have the right ouput for my CR's. If you're interested, you'd probably have to have Bjorn add a boost to the output (both my DRD and Mighty Red have this).

16. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

I have 4 BJF's right now, (RRB, EGD, HB, SBEQ). I think they're all pretty great. I love my RRB that I got in June, and would probably cry like a 2 yr old if anything happend to it. The rest I've only had since mid november, and I haven't had the time to find out the possibilities yet. I had a EGD a few years prior that I sold last year, which was to me way different from my new one.

I have heard people getting their pedals tweaked by Bjorn to rig match or squeeze a little more this or that out of it, but I would feel bad because I'm sure he'sd pretty swamped...and this is how he intended the pedals to sound in the first place, if I had just ordered them, I'd ask....maybe if the backlog clears up, I'll look into it. I just want to keep experimenting, for now.

Sorry for the thread derailment