BJFE Honeybee question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rhmcfarland, Aug 6, 2005.

1. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

Does anyone have clips of the Honey Bee? I am especially interested in lead clips.

Does this pedal work best in front of a really clean amp, or can it still keep its character with a slight bit of amp overdrive?

Thanks,
    Randy

2. morgan

morgan Guest

The honey bee works great in all situations. I use mine with a vox-type amp and it's just magic. With a little gain on the amp, the honey bee does seem to melt more into the amp sound, which is a good thing. It's like giving your amp another gain stage or something.

As for clips, I have this really old one I did. It's an SG jr (p90) into an ac15. FIrst it's clean, then the honey bee, then a lovepedal balance into the honey bee, then the honey bee itself, then clean. it's an old clip and not great, but you'll get the idea. It's just chords too, sorry I don't have a lead clip.
    http://www.morganslaboratory.com/sound/honey_bee.mp3

3. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

Thanks, Morgan

I'm digging the tones.
    Still kinda wondering whether I can't get the same kind of thing from my Eternity by dialing everythig to about 9:30, something right around in there.

I tend to run the Bogner on the edge of clean, and if the HB gets lost in that, then its not going to work for me. The Eternity can "overlay" the amp overdrive and still maintain its character. So, I guess I've got some thinking to do.....

Randy

4. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I would go with the HoneyBee if I was you.. I believe it's more amp like.. It's sounds so natural to my ears, I could even tell that was a pedal..

5. morgan

morgan Guest

Yeah, that clip doesn't do it justice really. The honey bee's character doesn't get lost when running into an amp that's breaking up. I run my hayseed with a lot more gain dialed in than in that old clip and the HB just adds it's sweetening character to it. It's truly the most dynamic pedal I've ever played, more so than some amps even. Pick attack is everything. It's not super high gain (definitely into the low to medium category), but it's my desert island od for sure.

6. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I ment to say I couldn't tell it was a pedal, it sounded so natural that I thought it was the amp...I'm getting a Honey Bee...

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have a Hb and IMO it works best in front of BF Fenders....

why??

because it tends to roll or round off a bit of the high end and BF Fenders tend to be a bit on the bright side....

IMO a perfect compliment...

I love it in front of my 64 deluxe but not as much in front of my Fargen Dual Classic...

Check out the video clips @ MusicToyz.com

Chow,
    Seegs

8. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah the Honey Bee and the Eternity work really well together , but they wont 'cover' each other.... EQ and Compression are different and the dynamic distortion is very different ......

9. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

Thanks for the word!

These days I use a BSM for bright overdrive, and an Eternity for its dark incandescence. Something in the lower gain category would be interesting.

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

There a neat interaction running the HB into the E, run the E where it just starts to sing with a little of the treble boost going - and then the HB in front to push it a little farther but it also fills it out while adding the pick sensitive dynamic distortion - lots of fun for 'touch' players :cool: