BJFE Model R on the way

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justonwo, Jan 11, 2008.

1. justonwo

justonwo Member

I bought one that was just posted on eBay. Any owners out there want to chime in on this pedal?

It'll be used with the amps in my signature, primarily the OD-100 though.

2. usc96

usc96 Member

Congratulations. You'll have to report on how it sounds. Unless there are several out there with the Honey Bee baseplate, that one seems to change hands about every two months. I recently picked up a DRD and it sounds great.

3. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

It's more dependant on speaker choice than amp. I ran mine into an OD-100 using Eminence Gov's and loved the tone...Congrats on your new purchase!! :AOK

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

+1 to what stress said... results varry heavily based on the speakers you're using. I love it with my UG-30 & G12H30's...

It's a really cool, "high gain" distortion, more in the 80's realm, IMO...
    It's one of my favourite pedals for awsome thick, creamy leads!

and all of the baseplates on the R's are yellow...

5. justonwo

justonwo Member

Well, I have a 2x12 with a Weber ceramic Blue Dog and Silver Bell. And I have a 4x12 StoneAge cab with G12-65s that should be here next week.

6. usc96

usc96 Member

Any mention on why he does that?

7. zion

zion Member

Through my EL84 amp, not so much...Through my 6V6 with the same cab/speakers, killer! Enjoy!

8. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

not true, I have a Model R with a red base plate. Donner may be able to shed some light.

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

well they are supposed to have yellow bottoms :eek:

Heres why:
    [​IMG]

The prototype on the left has a Red bottom - so when this one went into customshop production BJ thought it would be fun to continue the motif and put a yellow bottom under the red top..I agree.......:BEER

10. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I guess this means mine is ultra rare and therefore worth ooooooodles of money on eBay :NUTS

11. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Welcome to Club R. the few the fortunate.

12. justonwo

justonwo Member

amphead, do you have the DRD as well? Is the Club R really as finicky as so many advertise?

13. Don Rusk

Well the R was created to give a specific response, which is why its a Customshop model ... it can sound amazing with Celestions and some Vox amps ............. it can sound really bad with some Jensen midscoopy speakers too,,,,
    Its 'magic' is in its use of EQ and compression - it has a very particualr midrange, and if your speakers or EQ is midscoop then it doesnt have any thing to work with and can actually sound worse than nothing ; ]
    So if your playing Rock thru celestions you should enjoy it - it can be really good at giving the signing,useful feedback....

enjoy!

(Oh and the all red ones have kooties and you should just give it to me to prevent an outbreak :worried:dude)

14. usc96

usc96 Member

Donner,

Here's a question for you. I recently got a DRD and while it looks red in all the photos I've seen of it (including a photo I took of my pedalboard), what I found interesting is it tends to have more of a copper tone to it in real life. How does it do that?

Thanks. :AOK

15. Don Rusk

well the first few hundred were the opaque red and now they are the translucent red....
    BJ mixes the colors himself and sometimes the strength can vary a bit ---- and also he hand paints them so the actual thickness of the paint can vary from piece to piece ... the handmade look..
    But when photographed depending on the light source the color can be intensified and even changed, giving more reds or yellows depending....
    Yes its always a challenge trying to photograph pedals --- usually sunlight gives the truest colors , :hiP

16. Jack

Jack Member

I didn't really notice the finnickiness, but maybe I had the right kind of gear. I think if you polled 10 gigging Dyna Red users, and 10 gigging model R users(if there are 10), the Dyna users would have more similar settings and would use it in a more similar way, whereas, with the extra volume boost of the Model R and more mellow clipping, I think you would see a lot more variance, like people using it as a boost, doing things with guitar volume knob, etc. I think it's less clear what you're "supposed" to do with it and thus more interesting.

17. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I love the Model R, it's a very dynamic touch sensitive pedal. I like it better than the DynaRed.

TheGrooveking

18. tres

tres Member

I'm eagerly awaiting one, I should be coming up on the list very soon! Any thoughts on how it might sound with a '65 Blackface Bassman? All this talk of different results with different amps and speakers has got me confused! Has anyone using the R with the gear that its supposedly less compatible with gotten good results? Anway I figure they are cool enough that its worth a shot with my rig...

19. justonwo

justonwo Member

Bjorn posted at one point that the pedal was voiced more for a midsy setup such as a Marshall amp into a Celestion cabinet. A mid-scooped blackface amp may or may not work. You'll have to wait and see. Here's a quote from Bjorn at the Guitar Hub:

"Hm, let's see R as compared to DRD has more bottom, more output, softer treble, more mid emphasis all that go well with brittish style speakers usually. R cleans up differently and much more rapidly and distortion texture is softer; DRD has in this comparision more treble on tap and is a lot less finniky about speakers or amplifiers in general.
    They don't really sound similar in any other respect than that both are distortion devices

Model R as such was made as a research thing and also as a fun thing to try and catch a specific midrange style that would go well with certain amps and at very loud levels.Some of the parts for model R are also limited in supply so the best use I could make out of them would be research and I have learnt a lot so far.

For instance this affected the design of MP Mighty Red Distortion, which ofcourse both behaves and sounds rather differently, but it was important to get a tonecontrol for MRD that would make it easy adaptable to almost any amplifier.

Model R is perhaps the most finnicky model I have made and under the right circumstances it sounds very balanced and feels 'big' to play, while it may under other circumstances not sound good at all[​IMG]

Ah but it's a spy to tell me things of guitars and speakers and amplifiers on a distant.......

There's on youtube a comparision made by user donnerbox.

Due to the R being what it is I have not released this model but I can make one or so when there is time and would then rely on what information the unit can gather. I would not recommend this model unless circumstances would suggest a great sound.

I am most happy to note that most R's have happy homes though."

20. Don Rusk

Speakers is the big variable.

I use the R thru a Princeton Reverb into a CELESTION Greenback and its killer.
    What speakers do you run your bassman thru ? ( The main differences between Fenders and Marshalls are most Marshalls are EL34 Tubes and midhumped Celestions )