BJFE Pale Green Compressor > BJFE Honey Bee

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zhivago, Feb 2, 2006.

1. zhivago

zhivago Member

HI guys,

I've lurked for years here, with the occasional post here and there, and I thought I'd start my first thread.

I'm looking at getting a BJFE Pale Green Compressor and a BJFE Honey Bee soon-ish (need to sell off some stuff first to raise the funds)

The guitars I play are two vintage Fender Jazzmasters (a '64 and a '67)....the amp I use is a silverface Musicmaster Bass Amp (I'm hoping to get the tweed mod and change the speaker on this one soon as well - it's looooong overdue, but that's another story!)

the reason I'm posting, is the combination of the two BJFE pedals....has anyone used it?

I'm hoping of getting my overdriven sound from the Honey Bee, and to kick in the Pale Green to get a lead/dirter sound that I'd like to work for leads and also chords...does this sound do-able?

How dirty does the Honey Bee get?

The Honey Bee should also sound great going into a driven amp...is that the case? How dirty can the sound get?

many thanks in advance :)

2. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Hi J !!!

i dunno nothing about compressors, but have you seen the Honey Bee video demo on http://www.musictoyz.com/network/pedals.php (musictoyz website) ?

those clips are said to be pretty accurate

it seems that people say there's NOT a lot of dirt in the HB (never played one myself)

:cool:

3. zhivago

zhivago Member

Hey there Eric,

yeah the clips on mysictoyz aren't really that good... :/

I guess it's trial and error...I need to get some specific sounds for this demo I need to do....I guess I'll give them a try...

I'm pretty set on the compressor...

and then I'm split between the Honey Bee, or *possibly* the Emerald Green, as I might need some more dirt...[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana][/FONT]

4. Teahead

Teahead Member

Alright mate! Can't speak for the Honey Bee, but I can highly recommend the Pale Green. I got mine just before Christmas and it is the perfect compressor for me, doesn't rob any of the chime from my AC30 at all, unlike the Keeley.

You are unlikely to regret buying a PGC! :cool:

5. Craise

Craise Member

Hey zhiv, Yeah the HB doesn't have that much gain...but it colors your tone with a Tweedy Champ Honey. You might want to do a search on gearpage and musictoyz you will find tons of posts on the HB and how it sounds. Basicaly I can say that BJFe pedals are some of the best sounding pedals made. Up there with Cornish (if not better IMHO) I don't think a bad sound can be had by his pedals. But as with all gear, it's the ear of the beholder...
    If you are on the fence wondering if those two pedals are for you.. I would say pull the trigger. You can always flip them on here if you don't like them (thank you GP:angel).

6. Craise

Craise Member

If you do need more gain...you can't go wrong with the DR or EGDM depending on the flavor you want. I see you are using a Musicmaster Bass Amp. I also own one of these..but haven't had the chance to run my BJF's through it.
    I'll try it and get back with you. But I will say this... if the MM Bass amp is all you have to play through...you might consider buying a better amp and hold off on the BJF. Or at least spend some $ on a better speaker. I have the orginal fender crap speaker in mine, But have been looking for a real vintage jensen. Don't get me wrong..I love my little MM amp for the $ it's worth it for sure. But if it was all I had I'd be looking for a silverface princeton for the price of two BJF pedals. Sell the MM for $280 and buy a EGDM ! :) Just some thoughts...good luck...I'll let you know how the BJF sound through my MM...I'm sure it will be killer...so you might have the right idea getting by with the MM..what do I know??:BEER

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

ditto CFK.

G.A.S. in that order Guitar Amp Stomps

get your guitar and amp together before you ad stompboxes :AOK

8. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I used to have a Musicmaster Bass amp...it was great! I put a Red Fang in there and depending on what your situation is could be just the right volume for ya. For me I found it didn't quite have the headroom I required so I sold it...and now I kinda regret it...it was such a cool "grab n' go amp." As for pedals, I think the honeybee would be great through that amp...since you'll be running the amp pretty hard you don't really need as much gain from the pedal...the voicing of the honeybee would probably work quite well with the natural voice of the musicmaster (I got my honeybee after I sold my Musicmaster so I never tried the exact combo)...between that and the compressor it should be a nice setup! You can't go wrong with BJF pedals. Every one I've tried has been something special.

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Craise F. Kirk - Totally, I totally agree (GRIN)

I spent some, er, quality time at the Mad Professor booth at NAMM and played the Honey Bee, the Dyna Red Distortion Machine(Marshall sounds), and the Pale (now "Pine") Green Compressor. Through the Mad Professor amp. Using a Juha Ruakangas guitar (Gee, I wonder how THAT sounded? - WOW!)

CFK, great description of the HB. It doesn't have that much gain, even cranked, but it sounds totally tweed and totally great.

This from a guy (well, ME) who basically holds pedals in mild disdain ( I prefer amps).

I bought a PGC, and I'll probably buy the other two. I can't believe I'm gonna do that. Bjorn Juhl has truly made me rethink my position on pedals.

For the record, Brian Mena and Mike Fuller each gave me a push toward my reconsideration of pedals too.

Dana

10. zhivago

zhivago Member

good point, I can try them out and see if they work...I agree with Teahead's post above...the compressor will be set...then it's down to the HB or maybe somethign dirtier from the BJFE line :)

11. zhivago

zhivago Member

hey there,

yeah, I've been thinking of picking up a tweed clone of some sort...initialy I was thinking a 3x10 Bandmaster...but I think the weight will be an issue...so maybe a deluxe will be better...

the reason I'm looking at the pedals first is for some recording purposes...I've been asked to play on a demo that'll go to a major label, and I need to get the best sounds possible...I'll be using the amps the studio here in London will have :)

the reason I'm sticking with the MMB for now is the light package it offers and the ability to drive it with controlable volumes for stagework too...but I have to 100% agree..the Oxford speaker is..err..pants!! :)

thank you for your input :)

12. zhivago

zhivago Member

hey guys, thank you all for your replies!

I'll look into getting that tweed clone then as well (probably a deluxe)

that should work well with the pedals.

I'll let everyone know how it's all going over the next few weeks :)

many thanks for all your input!

John

13. Craise

Craise Member

cool dana, yeah I don't think you can go wrong with any of his effects. I still haven't played through a MP...man I want to bad. I would love to see a MP 20-30 watt combo! Good luck on your tone quest, I'm sure BJF will be part of mine for many years to come. I missed out on the PPPhaser this morrning..dang! :(
    Zhivago, I'll take my MM to pracitice tonight and let you know how it goes!
    :BEER

14. Frosty

Frosty Member

I use the PGC and the honeybee together for solos. I keep reversing the order but usually the comp. is first in line. The HB has a tendency to cut the sustain a bit if you are going for that infinite sustain thing. To me the HB has more gain than I ever need, but I am not into distortion or hard rock types of music. For crunchy rythm, the HB is perfect. Together they produce a beautiful singing tone for solos.