BJFE Thread

oil

Just found that out too. Hope some more come up. I did the Done Bender kit and it is fab.

oil

Fuzz '65 sounds epic, I'd love one of those. Oh man. And a flanger? Bjorn has never done a flanger I don't think.

Jazzmaster60

the FUZZGUITAR is freaking FUN.

I just spent a week after NAMM with Bjorn & Eva here in Chicago. We did a LOT of guitar playing, built a pedal, drank some fine ales, and discussed tone, effects, guitars, and much more. I am gonna write up a somewhat full report soon, but I have HOURS of video and stuff.

I did something somewhat unusual - made Bjorn play thru the Line 6 Helix and get his unvarnished thoughts on the dirt pedal models. Surprisingly, he liked a few of the OD models, but the fuzz models fell flat on their face when compared to "real" fuzz pedals.

speaking of FUZZ, the FUZZGUITAR has a REALLY amazing new BJFe fuzz called the '65, it has a knob that goes from '65 fuzzface to '70 tonebender, and it is one of the best sounding fuzzes I have ever personally played thru.

Vuorensaku's guitar is freaking incredible. The neck feels almost like a Nocaster, thick but comfortable. The body is like a barncaster, made out of something from Sweden resembling pine. The pickup is a custom p90 wound by a friend of Bjorn. The guitar itself is a GAS to play, and the combo of the fuzz built into the guitar is much more fun and useable than you might think. This is NOT the Matt Bellamy/Fuzz Factory style of fuzz in a guitar (although that is cool too)....this is more about getting a GREAT tone instead of being a noisemaker.

and finally - I have the first Poppy Red Distortion - the continuation of the Dyna Red - more gain AND more articulation, and an enhanced treble function. it sounds AMAZING with my Tele......gonna demo that this week.

We visited all the "cool" music shops in the area, and Bjorn went on a vintage pedal buying spree, which was fun to help with. Expect a new flanger soon.......

Also got to hang with Ken Fischer's apprentice Mico the amp tech - great guy and very intense amp dude.

Took Bjorn to Wisconsin for the first time, and we visited the mighty CHEESE CASTLE and had fried cheese curds.

A week with Bjorn is like a semester with one of the professors of analog electronics and tone. I learned far more in a week than I could possibly type out. And he set up my guitars to his specs, which I am extremely grateful for, and we built a Bone Bender together, and he brought me some of the rarest germanium transistors I have ever seen.

Alrighty then - I got rehearsals, but will do a Poppy Red demo ASAP so y'all can hear the new new.

Got a meeting with Eric Johnson next month to bring him the new OC Baby Blue, should be a blast, EJ is doing Ah Via Musicom in its entirety, so I can't wait!
Great photos Bobby , I look at the photograph of a Bjorn playing the Les Paul and you can see how closely Bjorn is listening. That’s why he is a genius, it’s not just his mind but his ears too
So what vintage pedals do you two go shopping for is the $64,000,000 question .
I’m pretty thrilled about a BJFE modulation, flanger will do , I suppose ..........but I would prefer chorus
I’m hoping you bought a ‘76-‘78 EH Electric Mistress for reference
Have fun

scottcw

Low rent hobbyist
Silver Supporting Member
As you might be able to tell from my posts in other threads, I am on a bit of an EQ/Boost kick lately.

I started with a Colorsound Power Boost 18v because it is what Gilmour used after fuzz for a bit of boost and clarity. Also rumoured that he used it alone on some tracks, notably Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Pros: offers boost and cut for both bass/treble, plus a huge boost that turns fuzzy starting around 4:00 on the volume. Cons: huge size that is not practical for most (any?) boards.

Then a friend mentioned a Cornish ST-2 at a local shop. He said it is the only pedal he has played (out of a LOT) that sounds like the effect is coming from the amp rather than from a pedal. I tried it and agreed. Pros: beautiful EQ shaping, very natural sounding, can get the full body sound of a slightly pushed amp at lower volumes. Cons: size again, plus price... $600+ used.

Which brings me to the BJFE content of this post. Has anyone compared a SBEQ to either a Power Boost or a Cornish ST-2? I'm thinking the SBEQ might be the perfect solution - small form factor, the beautiful EQ of the Cornish, the boost of the Colorsound. My only concern is that I read the flat setting on the Bass control is at 9:00, so not much bass cut available to get a mid boost.

Thanks in advance for input on the SBEQ.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
As you might be able to tell from my posts in other threads, I am on a bit of an EQ/Boost kick lately.

I started with a Colorsound Power Boost 18v because it is what Gilmour used after fuzz for a bit of boost and clarity. Also rumoured that he used it alone on some tracks, notably Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Pros: offers boost and cut for both bass/treble, plus a huge boost that turns fuzzy starting around 4:00 on the volume. Cons: huge size that is not practical for most (any?) boards.

Then a friend mentioned a Cornish ST-2 at a local shop. He said it is the only pedal he has played (out of a LOT) that sounds like the effect is coming from the amp rather than from a pedal. I tried it and agreed. Pros: beautiful EQ shaping, very natural sounding, can get the full body sound of a slightly pushed amp at lower volumes. Cons: size again, plus price... $600+ used.

Which brings me to the BJFE content of this post. Has anyone compared a SBEQ to either a Power Boost or a Cornish ST-2? I'm thinking the SBEQ might be the perfect solution - small form factor, the beautiful EQ of the Cornish, the boost of the Colorsound. My only concern is that I read the flat setting on the Bass control is at 9:00, so not much bass cut available to get a mid boost.

I haven't tried it but Bearfoot released a version with a mid knob. I own and love my early BJFe SBEQ.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner

The first SBEQs had the bass and treble knobs where they fell - Bjorn reworked it so they are noonish unity .... I went to see Eric Johson years ago at a place I could walk up to his board ... and I noticed his Tube Driver setting was bass and treble mostly down = mid boost ... went home and tried that with the SBEQ and it nailed it - turning the single coil bridge into a mid humped humbucker tone ...

scottcw

Low rent hobbyist
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Don. I just picked up a SBEQ and will report back compared to my Colorsound. Hopefully, I will get the chance to take it to the place with the ST-2 and see how they compare also.

Jazzmaster60

Thanks Don. I just picked up a SBEQ and will report back compared to my Colorsound. Hopefully, I will get the chance to take it to the place with the ST-2 and see how they compare also.
Awesome, I’m really looking forward to the comparison. What are you looking for Scott , a clean boost or overdrive. I haven’t heard the power boost so I can’t comment but I get the impression it’s loud and adds overdrive to your sound .Is this correct?
Thanks

whitenoize

I’ve had all three...CS Power Boost/Overdriver does just what was mentioned...large swing on the Bass and Treble controls for cut and boost....not neutral sounding.... in a good way...even with volume at minimum, there is already a boost in vol/output when engaged, so it starts a bit above unity gain....yes, starts to get fuzzy around 3-4 o’clock, but seriously, by then through a clean amp, it’s already ridiculously loud.
IMHO the Cornish stuff is WAY over rated(have had most all models)...having said that, I actually thought the ST-2 was the best one....yes, very smooth and natural, and more neutral in a good way...lots of EQ sculpting possibilities...very clean sounding, but yes, the size...it’s kind of laughable, I mean, to each there own, but when you see a pedal board full of Cornish stuff, it’s like the size of a door on the floor.
BJFE SBEQ... more animated and colorful than the ST-2, but in a really cool, tube-y way...different from the CS and Cornish in how the Bass and treble controls overlap/interact, but lots of sculpting possibilities...there is plenty of cut available...not entirely as much as the CS, to the best of my recollection, but certainly not in a deficient way...plenty of output, but doesn’t fuzz out like the CS(again these are high volumes we are talking about at this point).
FWIW, I never was inclined to do the mid boost thing with it(nor the end of the board EQ finalizing thing, though it’s great at that), because I was very happy with how you could set different sonic EQ “pictures” to give you another “bank” of clean and distorted tones...I only sold mine to fund other BJF’s at the time, but have been meaning to get another for the same reason....oh, and on the size? No contest, of course;)

scottcw

Low rent hobbyist
Silver Supporting Member
Awesome, I’m really looking forward to the comparison. What are you looking for Scott , a clean boost or overdrive. I haven’t heard the power boost so I can’t comment but I get the impression it’s loud and adds overdrive to your sound .Is this correct?
Thanks

Mainly a clean-ish boost with the ability to sculpt the EQ. The Colorsound has the "boost" down, but the tone is not as natural as the ST-2. Using my friend's description, the ST-2 sounds like you changed the amp, the Colorsound sounds like you stepped on a pedal. But the ST-2 boost isn't anything great. Ideally, I would like to find something to boost like the Colorsound with the natural EQ of the ST-2. I am hoping the SBEQ does that.

Last edited:

Jazzmaster60

I’ve had all three...CS Power Boost/Overdriver does just what was mentioned...large swing on the Bass and Treble controls for cut and boost....not neutral sounding.... in a good way...even with volume at minimum, there is already a boost in vol/output when engaged, so it starts a bit above unity gain....yes, starts to get fuzzy around 3-4 o’clock, but seriously, by then through a clean amp, it’s already ridiculously loud.
IMHO the Cornish stuff is WAY over rated(have had most all models)...having said that, I actually thought the ST-2 was the best one....yes, very smooth and natural, and more neutral in a good way...lots of EQ sculpting possibilities...very clean sounding, but yes, the size...it’s kind of laughable, I mean, to each there own, but when you see a pedal board full of Cornish stuff, it’s like the size of a door on the floor.
BJFE SBEQ... more animated and colorful than the ST-2, but in a really cool, tube-y way...different from the CS and Cornish in how the Bass and treble controls overlap/interact, but lots of sculpting possibilities...there is plenty of cut available...not entirely as much as the CS, to the best of my recollection, but certainly not in a deficient way...plenty of output, but doesn’t fuzz out like the CS(again these are high volumes we are talking about at this point).
FWIW, I never was inclined to do the mid boost thing with it(nor the end of the board EQ finalizing thing, though it’s great at that), because I was very happy with how you could set different sonic EQ “pictures” to give you another “bank” of clean and distorted tones...I only sold mine to fund other BJF’s at the time, but have been meaning to get another for the same reason....oh, and on the size? No contest, of course;)
Thanks for your post , it’s full of experience and I’ve really learnt from it .

shredus

Great photos Bobby , I look at the photograph of a Bjorn playing the Les Paul and you can see how closely Bjorn is listening. That’s why he is a genius, it’s not just his mind but his ears too
So what vintage pedals do you two go shopping for is the $64,000,000 question .
I’m pretty thrilled about a BJFE modulation, flanger will do , I suppose ..........but I would prefer chorus
I’m hoping you bought a ‘76-‘78 EH Electric Mistress for reference
Have fun

I think you should totally check out the One Control Dimension Blue Monger... Björn has adressed this exact flanger/chorus crossover in the design and I’m pretty sure you will like it :D

http://www.one-control.com/dimension-blue-monger.html

Johnnytone

Silver Supporting Member
Different question here: Anyone know what the bjfe.org cherry buster's input and output knobs do? May get one for a boost but don't understand what the other knobs do.
Thanks in advance.

shredus

Different question here: Anyone know what the bjfe.org cherry buster's input and output knobs do? May get one for a boost but don't understand what the other knobs do.
Thanks in advance.

These adjust the input and output impedance: ’Z’ They are not exagerated controls but useful for fuzzes and adjusting to different cable lengths. It is also a great buffer :D

Top Bottom