BJF's EQ is Astoundingly Good...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Teahead, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Teahead

Teahead Member

Many of you already know, I've read plenty of threads here praising Bjorn's Sea Blue EQ. This will be another of those threads...

I've had mine about two weeks (actually a Tea Green EQ, same pedal, different colour) and it still makes me smile when I kick it in. It can add huge girth to the tone and, because of the wonderful tone shaping capabilities, the boost is easily the best I've heard with my AC30.

So varied are it's uses, I'd consider adding a second, still not having settled on a favourite setting. When combined with the PGC, I can make my amp sound and feel like it's about 30% more cranked than it actually is.

The punch, warmth and sustain that comes from winding up the amp is simulated very well by this pairing. They are both perfect for the very pernickity front end of the Vox. Cue the gratuitous pictures...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Congrats on the new purchase, i've had my eye on one of those for a while. Can you order them with different colours or was this a custom job?

3. Teahead

Teahead Member

Just a custom, I don't think you can pick colours generally. Donner did the Vox flavoured enclosure (thanks Don!) and Bjorn generously offered to paint whichever colour I chose.

I'm saving towards a Pink Purple Fuzz at the moment. These pedals are a cut above anything I've tried.

4. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

For those of you who have tried both, what are the similarities/differences between the Sea Green and the RC Booster?

I have an RC Booster (and I have contemplated adding a 2nd as an always-on buffer); what benefits would I gain from adding a Sea Green?

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yes, the SBEQ is amazing. Ya know how you get certain pieces of gear sometimes that give you a certain and immediate impression...a piece that you know for certain you'll always have? The SBEQ defined that for me. It is just so good at what it does. Mine is almost always on, and turning it off just takes that special fullness out of my sound. Great job, Bjorn! AC

6. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, it's the first pedal I've ever owned that I'd actually like to have two of - one for my electric rig, and another for my small electro-acoustic board. I've put a lot of miles on it since I got it last year...

7. fatback

fatback Member

Both are nice pedals. The RC can add grit where as the SBeq is more of a high-fi tone-shaping tool. I use the RC at the front of my board for a solo boost while the SBeq is near the end of the chain and is on most of the time.

The SBeq was my first BJF pedal. I was so impressed that I now have nine. There's not a dud in the bunch and more than a few of my old pedals have since become redundant.

Boutique can be such a silly word, as in "boutique pedals". When is the last time you bought gear in a boutique? I like to think of Bjorns work as Artisan pedals. There's a ton of heart and creativity going into those little boxes.

8. jaimo

jaimo Member

+1 here. Right on!

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I owned an RC and remember it to be a bit sterile sounding to me. The SBEQ is a fantastic tone shaping/melding tool. I love mine.

10. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

hey, you know i was looking and i can't seem to find a BJF website. any help?

11. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

I too love the SBEQ for adding both fullness of bass and sparkle at the high end. I use it last in the overdrive chain. I use a Klon as well at the very front. Great pedal. Also love the honeybee as a light overdrive by itself or to smooth out other heavier overdrives.

12. mustangman

mustangman Member

13. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Great and useful ped. I use mine at unity gain as a pure EQ at acoustic-electric jobs. With electric guitars, I use it on my "twang" board. I place it after a Klon, shape the EQ for a bit more high end cut, and slightly above unity, as kicked in for certain lead rides in tandem with the Klon, which is set for mild gain. What's cool is how interactive the Sea Blue ped is with guitar's volume knob; at '8' or so, it simply supplies the slight push or cut, and at '10', can induce verge-of-feedback tones. Cool.

14. Teahead

Teahead Member

Sorry, should have mentioned. Go to the BJF pedal of your choice and the soundclips follow the descriptions. No SBEQ clips though.