BK Butler Tube Driver alternatives???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Starsailor, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

Is there anything that has the tube driver tone, preferrably a non tube based pedal? I'm thinking of getting one but wonder if there are cheaper alternatives that take up less real estate.

2. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

Bumpy Bumperton.

Anyone?...

3. leumasjames

leumasjames Member

Man...That's a tough one. I think I'll have some time to play tonight...I'll plug in my tube driver and see if I have anything that comes close, or if I can remember past pedals I've owned that can get you in the same ballpark.

It is a really great pedal. It can go from clean boost/very light OD, to fuzzy tones.

Now that I think of it, I had a Skreddy Screwdriver that shares these characteristics. I would try that out.

4. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

My OCD V.4 followed by my EP-PRE sounds really close to a friends 80's Tube Driver. Close enough that I decided not to buy his tube driver. Also running my Barber EQ set to tweed mode into my OCD V.4 does a really good beefy tube driver tone. I think it will take stacking a couple of pedals to get you that nice tube driver low end.

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Radial Tonebone classic is definitely the closest thing out there to the tube driver. After having owned the latest BK Butler version, I'll tell you its a lot more tube-screamery than people give it credit for.

Remember the early Eric Johnson (including the album version of Cliffs of dover) was done on a TS-9 rather than a tube driver. I'm much happier with my TS808 than tube driver.

6. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

Cool, if that's the case then I guess I'm in good shape since I've got a screwdriver. I've never played thru a Tube Driver so really have no point of reference as to what it really sounds like other than the rare sound clip here and there. I just know it's a EJ and DG favorite. Maybe my amp has been the biggest obstacle in getting my desired tone. Hopefully when I get my new Reeves amp the screwdriver will get me there.

Thanks guys.

7. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I read an interview with EJ in Premier Guitar where he mentions that he sometimes uses an Xotic AC Booster in place of his BK Butler TD.

8. geetarman

geetarman Member

Having played both they're nothing alike Eric probably just likes to change things up every so often for different tones.

9. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I think it is important to remember that EJ uses his pedals to bump his amps, not for the main tone. BTW I went to a Mesa Clinic last year with Andy Timmons and he used the Butler to boost his Mesa Stilletto. It sounded really good. Personally, I like the Tonebone classic over the Butler, but both are excellent. YMMV