BK Butler Tube Driver arrived!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zerorez, Sep 13, 2008.

1. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

Received the new Butler Tube Driver yesterday with the added Bias control.

I caught BK's store on ebay at a good time when he was running a sale with the bias option discounted $50, the pedal was $374 shipped to my door with the bias upgrade.

Intial impression, very unique overdrive. I can now see why the top players like Gilmour, Johnson and Satriani like the Tube Driver.

The controls are all very interactive, once you get it dialed in, it is very sweet sounding.

I set mine bias backed off to 3 o clock from full, Out level 7, High Eq 1 or 2 clicks from off, so about .5, Low eq 1 or 2, and Drive Level about 5.

This gives me a nice juicey sound with vintage single coils or humbuckers.

This pedal really shines for Lead work, bent or held notes with vibrato swell into a nice feedback overtone, like early Santana through my rockytop JTM45 combo with greenbacks.

To my ear the pedal has a bit of a saggy definition with the bias control adjustments with a hint of a soft fuzz type character, a bit more of a TS midrange quality to the dirt. Pitch harmonics like the Rev Billy G, jump out very easily, also palm mutes really shine well with this pedal also

I would say the added Bias control is a great upgrade for more tone shapes.

This one is going to be a keeper for me and go on the board.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

Congrats, man! I just got mine last week. I got the regular 4 knob version. You're right, very unique. It's so rich in character and it shapes other ods and fuzzes nicely. For a straight up amp-like distortion I love stacking the TB with a Skreddy Screwdriver before it, both set to low gain. So sweet. My only complaint, which is probably where the bias knob comes in handy, is that it doesn't clean up as well as I'd like on the lowest gain setting. Maybe I'll swap the 12ax7 with a 12au7.

3. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I love my TD but I did mod it a bit to get to my tonal nirvana.

I have the bias version and run it at 3/4 up or so. I changed out the stock chip for a opa2134. Really gets a bit "Hi-Fi" sounding with nice transients. I also changed the interstage coupling cap between the tube sections to a .022 from the stock .047. I didn't like the loose bottom end mine had with Fender amps.

Lastly I put a NOS tube in it. I use a Sylvania 12AX7 that really sounds good. This pedal now stacks well and keeps the natural sound of my guitar only with a bit of dirt.

4. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

I got an older black five knob one a few weeks ago, I had one when they came out in the 80's, I remembered how much I liked it then, got this one on ebay. Used it last night at a gig, a big improvement over the modded BOSS SD1 I was using, it sounds much better than any other overdrive pedal I've had. I just ordered one of his new ones with the bias mod discount priced, should get it any time now.

5. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

Those mods sound cool, :D I have not cracked mine open to look inside, what is the stock chip that BK uses?