BK Butler Tube Driver CLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JubileeMan 2555, Mar 11, 2008.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

2. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

hey man nice clips! i wouldnt say thats is he worst it could sound ive heard much worse with much more! haha..cant go wrong with a super reverb..

what are the settings on the pedal? like the kinda countryish open G string thing later on in the "boost clip" :AOK very cool..

3. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Is this the one with the Bias knob? If it is, do you think the Bias is worth having? Just curious since i'm thinking of ordering one soon.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

This is the new reissue Tube Driver?

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

What I meant was that other players recommend using this pedal into marshall amps and humbuckers... I think it sounds pretty good.

Oh, I can't remember the EQ settings. Especially when you consider how touchy the controls are. There is honestly a noticable tonal change at EVERY little click of the control knobs. Only ones I remember are the Level and Gain controls.

For the boost: Level:1 o'clock Gain: 9 o'clock...
    For the Distortion: Level:1 o'clock Gain: Noon

No bias knob. So if you like the tones in the clip, you may not need it. But its probably important to note I'm using a 12au7 Tube in the unit.

Its the new reissue from Butler himself

6. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Nice clips!

I am GASin' for one of these and as soon as my 5150 II sells on eBay, I am ordering one. I am still debating the bias control, but an additional $125 seems a bit over the top.

I am going to run it into a CeriaTone 50 Watt Plexi. Should be nice.

7. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Yeah, i'm not totally sold that the Bias feature is worth it either. I figure if I want lower gain, i'll just change the tube. From the sound of JubileeMan's clips, it can do low gain with a 12au7 just fine. If it can do a cool violin tone, i'd be happy and i'd assume you'd need to leave the Bias full up to get close to that tone but I don't know for certain.

8. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

yeah, I have a feeling its not necessary. If you turn the EQ down all the way, it helps it get to the violin tone. Thats just not my bag. I never really liked that tone... I like it with more bite.

Gilmour ordered his w/o the bias knob, and that was enough for me to not worry about it. $125 is a LOT of money for a little extra adjustment. Heck, there are great entire pedals that cost that much!

9. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Hey, thanks for the info and the clips. I really appreciate it. It's funny, because i've been thinking about this pedal a lot lately. Well, if the non-bias model is good enough for Gilmour, then who am I to go against his tastes? And Eric Johnson didn't use a bias featured Tube Driver on his older popular stuff. So...yeah, it is a lot more money. I could see it being handy for the tweakers out there though but i'm pretty much a set it and forget it type.

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

It took me years to finally buy one. It was always on the list of things I'd like to have but never wanted to spend the actual money on.

I'm glad I did.

11. KLB

KLB Member

I'd say get the bias knob. With any given tube, there will be a sweet spot where you will like the tone, harmonics and punch the most. Changing the control just a little can make a lot of audible difference.

12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Believe or not... one of the best lead tones I ever got was using one of these through a JC-120 ...

Nice distortion clip by the way ...

If they weren't so damn expensive these days, would certainly want one in my arsenal ...

13. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's been on my radar for some time now. I just want to get one before he stops making them and the prices really get ridiculous.

14. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Valid point.

15. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Eh... I'm not really sure he's going to stop. He doesn't make enough to make it a burden, and I'm sure he makes a killing on each made (there really isn't much inside these things).

So i would be far enough down the road that theres little to worry. But 15 years down the road, we might be saying something different;)

16. scottro123

scottro123 Member

I want it back!
    Just kidding, glad you're enjoying the pedal.

17. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

You hush! And go enjoy that Egnator! :)

18. Joey Chuck

Joey Chuck Member

But its probably important to note I'm using a 12au7 Tube in the unit.

This is where the real fun is... swapping the tube. I have an early 80's model (no wall wart) and I have had good luck with 12AT7s and 5751s. The 12AU7 is fun, but I found it a bit too compressed when I turned up the gain. Sounds great in these clips though!

19. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Hey! Welcome to the board!

Yeah, I had a real headache when I got the pedal (good kind of headache...too many choices..etc). Almost any tube has its qualities. I just found the 12au7 to give the pedal the widest range of possible drive capabilities.

In all truth, I'd actually like to have 2 units. One with the 12au7 and another that I'd use for heavy drive that would use a 12at7. But I'm not spending the cash to have 2 of these:)

20. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

My TD 2 cents:
    Years ago I went on a TD search just because EJ used one and I loved that tone he got with it. I bought several pedal versions, one had only three knobs and smaller enclosure and I think was an early Real Tube (it also sounded the worst...by far), one somebody had installed a transformer in it because they knew that EJ's 'version' was a non-wall-wart model. In any case...none of them sounded very good to me...or at least nothing special.

Until I bought an old rackmount version with the Bias and Contour knobs. It was better but still not really great...until I max'd the bias control, max'd the Contour, and turned the Treble off. There it was...a tone very EJ-like but I was getting all the dirt from the pedal (i.e. not running it even close to the way EJ does). I still have it and I use a 12AU7 in it. To be honset...I don't hear much difference in the amount of gain/distortion going from a 12AX7 to a 12AU7 (in a tube amp the difference is HUGE) but mine just sounds better with a 12AU7 (less tubby bottom, more cello-like attack, woodier, can hear the string better but the distortion/sustain is still there).

After owning this rackmount and also considering that EJ has had a Bias control on his for a long time (so I've been told)...I doubt I would even consider one without a Bias control.