BK Butler wants $69 for New Stock NOS 12AU7

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jontz71, May 4, 2016.

1. Jontz71

Jontz71 Member

hey guys,

i've got a 2010 BK Butler with Bias knob. was never happy with the 12AX7 that was in it. So i reached out the BK Butlter about a new tube they say is specifically tailor made for the pedal. they offer a New Stock NOS 12AX7 and 12AU7 for $69.

most tube dealers sell these for $15 - $44.

do you guys think theirs is made better some how ?

2. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

well youre getting 2 tubes for a little more than usual, or are you saying theyre 69 a piece?

personally id never pay extra for NOS tubes, especially for a pedal.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  3. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

No.

4. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

i go to the local swap meet. 12au7 tubes can be had quite often for a dollar or two

5. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

a banana republic run by an orange monkey
    $69? geez. I have a couple of NOS GE 5-star 12au7's from 1962 that I think I paid $5/each for.
    I stuck one in my old 3-knob Tube Driver and it sounded awesome!

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It does really depend on the tube. Generally a 12AX7 is more expensive than a 12AU7 since there were WAY more of the latter used in organs and stereos and no one wants them now. I wouldn't pay more than $40 for the very best Mullard 12AU7 you could find... OTOH, a really good Mullard 12AX7 could cost you $200 in some circles.

Swap meets, thrift stores, pawn shops-find old tube gear with a spare 12AU7 or two and try em out yourself with minimal cost and risk...

sanfi4u likes this.
  7. Katzenkönig

Katzenkönig Member

$69, now THAT is a serious rip-off!

8. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

LOL no that is a ripoff. Also, wtf is a 'New Stock NOS' tube?

ellis dee and deadlands like this.
  9. Jontz71

Jontz71 Member

update. so i finally got a chance to call them and they say these are Yugo 12AU7 tubes from the 70's. you only get one for the $69.

10. deadlands

deadlands Member

It's an oxymoron. :dunno

11. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

I have two Blue Tube II's, one with the two original East European 12ax7's in it (one from Yugoslavia and the other from Hungary) while the other has two aftermarket 12ax7's, an EHX and a SovTek.

I haven't used either one in a long time and for some reason never did a side-by-side comparison but my even-more-subjective-than-usual opinion is that the original East European tubes sound better, in the sense of having a smoother and more rounded sound, that the EHX and SovTek tubes.

Someone else might well like the EHX and SovTek more than the two Yugo and Hungarian tubes.

Tubes can be very, very expensive. Or very cheap. Is the NOS Yugoslavian tube from Butler worth $69? Only you can answer that. And your answer can be based on sound only, or on perceived value-for-money, or that a tube that you can afford is much better than a tube you can't afford because there is nothing that will improve your sound if you can't bring it home and actually use it, etc etc. These are all valid considerations, all of which can lead to different answers...

JPIndustrie likes this.
  12. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Those tubes are the magic in those pedals, according to guys like Eric Johnson way back. If you want that sound it might be worth it.

willyboy, Bobby D and 71strat like this.
  13. Jontz71

Jontz71 Member

Guys "I drank the cool aid"

My "GAS" got the best of me today.

Many thanks to all your insights and help. Hopefully I'll learn my lesson after this.

JPIndustrie and jsytsma like this.
  14. 71strat

71strat Member

I myself find nothing out of line with the cost. Especially if Butler recommends it in his pedal. I'm also sure, that You can be Assured, that the tube really is NOS, and not ever been used, and will work well with the device. Although you may not like 12AU7 vs 12ax7. But it might be the best thing ever.

But I think the price is ok.

I paid plenty more than that for Mullard 10M Master Series Gold Pin 12AU7s. But I had to buy 2 of them. Ouch. I use them in a Fender Cyber Twin. 12ax7 swap for 12au7 is common.

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I hope you love the sound!

16. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

My friend and I once tested about 19 different 12AX7s. From NOS GE, Sylvania, Philips, Mullard etc. to new Ruby, Sovtek, Yugo, EI, etc. Differences were completely negligible.

17. willyboy

willyboy Member

YMMV but my experience is different. I have about a dozen different tubes, mostly NOS, I tried in mine and I felt the tubes made a fairly big difference in the character of the distortion and the sag and feel of the pedal.

71strat, Stratobuc and sanfi4u like this.
  18. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Member

Agreed. Not a huge difference, but definitely not negligible.

sanfi4u, willyboy and ChampReverb like this.
  19. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

i ran quite a few tubes thru my tweed champ, a few months later
    i was like, this thing sounds great, what tube is in there?
    i pull it out and it is a sovtex. i didnt even know i had a russian tube.

i always used american made tubes, now i am not so sure it makes a difference.
    i will continue to use the old ones because i can still find them cheap at the flee market.