black arts fuzz: pharaoh vs. black forest

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by maggiesrevenge, Mar 2, 2012.

1. maggiesrevenge

maggiesrevenge Member

i posted a thread earlier this week askin bout fuzz pedals. can't find anything online comparing these two sisters. can anyone weigh in? much appreciated. i like to get artfully heavy without getting too muddy on the low end. your input is much appreciated!

-maggie

2. maggiesrevenge

maggiesrevenge Member

i know pharaoh is fuzz and black forest is od, btw, just wanted to put that out there. black forest sounds a lot tighter to my ears, but alas, perhaps that is just the nature of od vs. fuzz

3. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

The Pharaoh is a Muff variant, the Black Forest is a take on the Colorsound Overdriver. I have the BF...while it is based on an overdrive, if you crank the gain and bass knobs you get a really thick fuzz tone. Check out the PGS demo to see what I'm talking about. The control is even called "fuzz" :)

FWIW, I LOVE the BF. Personally I use it for low-medium gain and it just oozes character.

4. maggiesrevenge

maggiesrevenge Member

yeah, i really loved what i heard in the pgs demo, sounds a lot more versatile than the pharaoh, i also noted the fuzz knob. seems like it can come close to the pharaoh but also do quite a bit more. the thing that entices me about the pharaoh is the ability to switch between germanium and silicon diodes though.

5. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

It does seem like a cool pedal. Sorry to be that guy that posts in a comparison thread without having played both pedals. I've just never had any luck with Muff pedals in a band setting, however much fun they are to play alone. And I've tried everything from EHX to D*A*M. The Pharaoh and now Skreddy's P19 are on my radar though...

6. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

The Pharaoh actually cuts better than most muffs, esp. on the silicon or no diodes settings. Sorry to be the other guy that has played one pedal and not the other. :D
    The Pharaoh rules.

7. br91

br91 Member

Black Forest sounds better with some dirt or drive help. It has a 6 way girth knob to control bottom, plus bass and treble. It can do lower OD tones also.

Pharaoh sounds better on a clean channel. Can sculpt bottom end with tone knob, and separate treble high end knob. With no clip and gain below a quarter, can do dirty cleans also.

Pharaoh>Black Forest sounds good.

8. maggiesrevenge

maggiesrevenge Member

which do you guys think wins for versatility

9. Smitty Pedals

Smitty Pedals Member

The Land of Cobain. Aberdeen Washington. "Come As
    You get a thick fuzz sound on the Colorsound Overdriver with the drive cranked also but it's really more of a boost than an overdrive.

10. ivansardi

ivansardi Member

Dude, they comliment each other like sisters! Use Both. Both are versitile but their character is different. Love the BF for boosting and low gainish OD but LOOOOOVE the pharaoh for fuzzy tones. Its just massive!

11. br91

br91 Member

Black Forest more versatile for cleans, although the OD Fuzz plus drive from other source is very good.

Pharaoh is more versatile for drive.

Just double checked, low gain around 1/8th drive in Germanium side for dirty Pharaoh cleans.