Black Cat Monster K-Fuzz vs. Basic Audio Kay Fuzz, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Flatscan, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I'm quite intrigued by the Kay Fuzz tone.

Both the Black Cat Monster K-Fuzz and the Basic Audio Kay fuzz seem like faithful replicas plus improvements versus the original.

Have any of you A/B'd them? Thoughts? How useful is the wah pedal functionality on the Black Cat? Is this worth paying more for or can you "fake" this effect somehow?

[One idea would be to use a continuously sweeping low-pass filter but that would be a pain to do outside of the studio.]

[I would guess John L. could build a Kay fuzz with a wah enclosure. He does this with the Throbby.]

2. Flatscan

Bump for love and fuzziness

3. Empros

Empros Member

Never used the Black Cat version.
    But the BA version is wicked, man. Seriously good. I've got a couple clips of it - surprisingly versatile for what it is. Ring mod sounds are fun with it.

I have no desire to have any form of foot control for the effect. Not sure I'd ever use it.

JokeSmuggler and Prof.Fuzz like this.
  4. la noise

la noise Member

I've had the BA Kay for about 3 years now. Fun pedal.
    Would love to try the Black Cat, though. Appears to have
    more versatility than the BA, which can be a bit of a
    one trick pony. Unfortunately, both the Monster Kay
    and the Custom Kay Fuzz from Black Cat are quite spendy. :dunno

I say go for the Black Cat and report back to us here. :aok

FuzzFaceJ and JokeSmuggler like this.
  5. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

Never A/B'd them either...Not sure how useful the treadle would be, but the Kay fuzz design is super cool. I have one of the BA ones and it is solid.

6. Flatscan

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

I'm keeping my eyes open for either pedal.

The BA fuzzes are killer. I've enjoyed the demos posted by many of you in this thread. [Thanks for that too!]

I've never owned a Black Cat effect (only positive emotions in this comment) and don't know what to expect. JustNick spoke very highly of the BC Kay in his demo.

Aside: BA introduced me to the Kay fuzz. The demos of it made me keenly interested. I found out afterward that the Edge used an original treadle-enabled Kay on Elevation.

[and I love expression-enabled effects space-permitting.]

7. Flatscan

I just picked up a Black Cat [thanks to Prymaxe's Loyalty Sale] and will report back after I've spent meaningful time with it.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and clips (Dave, Matt, etc.).

P.S. - JustNick's demo is excellent.

Empros and JokeSmuggler like this.
  8. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Could the BA Kay Fuzz be used with a Volume pedal for the same effect?

9. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

I loved the sounds from my BA Kay fuzz but it was noisy as I don't know what

10. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Wow... honestly, I don't see how the Kay would be nearly as useful WITHOUT the treadle. I mean, you know that's how the original was designed, right?

[​IMG]

And it's not a wah. There's nothing wah about it. The treadle controls the bias of the fuzz, which goes from a muffled low end rumble to a nasty searing buzzsaw fuzz. The treadle sweep is what makes it.

deeohgee and Flatscan like this.
  11. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I made myself one of these about 10 years ago before anyone was selling clones. The footpedal adjusts what would be the tone control on a similar octave fuzz like the Foxx Tone Machine. When I did my Kay knock off, I actually added a bias control on the tied transistors and, you know, making THAT the foot controlled thing would probably be a lot cooler!

I think the foot pedal is pretty silly. I built my Foxx Tone Machine in an old Foxx Down Machine wah enclosure, so I did it Kay style with the Tone adjustable, too. It's really pretty pointless in my opinion after trying it on two different circuits. it's ultimately more of a set and forget setting.

When I saw Lanois with black dub, it looked like he might of had his rehoused in a really nicely done one knob box.