• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Black Cat Pedals Tour Box #1

mrscott99

Tour Box #1 is now Complete and closed, thank you all for participating and remember to contact Tom at Black Cat for special pricing for a one time buy

Suarkttam - Completed
Chankgeez - Completed

pdodge77 - Completed
Drak - Completed
L0ki - Completed
Stratoben127 - Completed
CrackTheSkye - Completed
espechemode - Completed
bigEbeer - Completed
tinkercity - Completed
hiz99 - Completed
mattlee0037 - Completed
[/FONT]
* Each participant agrees to keep the pedals for a period of no longer than 5 business days.
* Each participant agrees to ship the pedals at his own expense to the next person on the list (the name and address of the next person on the list will be provided to the individual participants).
* The method of shipment will be UPS, FedEx, or USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. When the pedal is shipped, at the end of the 5 day trial period, the participant agrees to forward tracking info to both myself and the next recipient of the Tour Box.
* Finally, I have to ask, PLEASE... if you don't think you'll be able to follow the above guidelines, please do not sign up for the Tour Box. These guidelines help ensure the safest, most trouble-free and enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

Last edited:

Suarkttam

Very few things can brighten up an incredibly snowy Monday like a brand new tour box. Thank you Tom for the use of these incredibly pedals, and if that weren't enough (which it totally would have been), thank you for the Black Cat "swag"...

Suarkttam

Well...I have to say...unfortunately, I had an incredibly busy week and weekend and had very little time to really sit down with these pedals...but the little time I did...let me say this. There is no shortage of touch sensitivity in all three.

The Wee-Buzz: This is my first experience with this pedal or any of it's predecessors or influences. And it did not disappoint. As much as I loved the deep lush, nastiness of the Buzz side of the switch...I just couldn't stop digging in to the tight, compressed edge of the Bee side...it was so sharp and defined and lent itself really well to that alt-rock/punk staccato rhythm work. This one will be very difficult to lay off of, and just might get added to the arsenal.

The Black Cat Vibe: What can really be said about this pedal that history (and the pros who use it) has not already said. It is the quintessential, lush, deep, warm, sensual vibe it's reputation says it is. It was a pleasure to play around with one. I fantasize about having the rack unit one day.

The Mona Wah: This is a wonderfully executed, completely pro sounding wah with (in this tour box's case) internal controls for Frequency, Volume and Q, with a switch for buffered or bypass on the outside. Set to the maximum internally on all counts it acts exactly how a high end wah should. I will say that I had Tom mod an old early 90's wah for me with external controls for those things several years ago and the work and effect are very similar...I am just partial to really being able to try and dial those things with external controls. The mona wah is top of the line, no doubt and paired really well with my Bearfoot FX SYOD2. It is clear that all the work that went into the custom conductor and pot has paid off. Kudos.

I am accustomed to putting together a rather elaborate video demo with the pedals shown in a musical context. Unfortunately, the timing of the pedals and an otherwise extremely busy week and weekend just did not allow. But I thank Scott and Tom for the opportunity to play these built-like-a-tank, beautifully designed, incredibly nuanced pedals...and look forward to doing it again sometime, if the opportunity arrises.

chankgeez

I'm sure those little blurbs are awesomely informative, Suarkttam, but I'm not gonna read 'em until after I get my grubby little hands on those pedals so I can form my own opinions. Psyched.

Suarkttam

I'm sure those little blurbs are awesomely informative, Suarkttam, but I'm not gonna read 'em until after I get my grubby little hands on those pedals so I can form my own opinions. Psyched.
You are too funny...and will not be the least disappointed. Those pedals are seriously amazing...and just when I thought my board was pretty locked up for a while...no such luck I guess.

chankgeez

There's a tourbox in my possession. :munch

Preliminary thanks again to Tom and Scott for making this all possible.

I'm not capable of recording clips, but promise to write a novella's worth of words about each of the pedals. (As, I'm sure they're all very worthy of it.)

I'm just glad the tourbox came to me with a weekend falling in between those 5 business days. Business days be damned.

More words to come after I've done some playing...

chankgeez

OK, so after playing for about 40 minutes, I can say, I'm not disappointed in the least.

I could probably play with these three pedals alone and be all set.

For the past few weeks I've been running a chain as so:

Neo Ventilator > Son of Kong > my favorite flanger > BAT Pharaoh > Rainbow Machine > (Joe Gagan tuned) Maestro Boomerang > IdiotBox Dimension X Delay > Fredric Zombie Klone (always on)

(Guitar and amp as in sig.)

Now, I've just subbed the Black Cat Vibe and the Mona Wah in for the Neo and the Boomer:

Black Cat Vibe > SoK > fave flanger > WeeBuzz > Pharaoh > Rainbow Machine > Mona Wah > Dimension X > Zombie Klone

Here're my initial impressions while they're still fresh in my mind:

The WeeBuzz sounded fantastic straight out of the box. For some reason Suarkttam shipped it with the Tone all the way CCW, I fixed that and rolled it fully CW. (Volume I left as it was shipped, at about 1:00.) It's a rippin' fuzz with some nice sustain to it. Worked well both stacked into the Pharaoh and with the SoK (which I have set to a resonant bass boost) running into it. Really looking forward to exploring all it can do.

The Black Cat Vibe sounds superb as well. I was at first slightly disappointed with the speed (as I'm a great fan of super slow modulation), it wasn't slow enough to my taste. That was until I plugged a Moog expression pedal in. It goes much slower using expression. So much so that I'd say it's a necessity and brings out the full potential of the pedal (as one would expect with a Univibe style circuit.) This's the pedal I was most interested in trying out and it's definitely gonna be a fun few days playing.

Joe Gagan's got a great ear. So, it's no surprise that the Mona Wah sounds stupendous. I'd've expected nothing less. Haven't opened it up yet to mess with the settings, but I think that'll really help this wah shine. I will say that I'm not a fan of the Vox/Crybaby style enclosure with its relatively short sweep, but I think this circuit will work fine in it. The sweep's a little shorter than I'd prefer, but it's nicely voiced.

I plan on changing up the pedal order in the chain in the days to come and have a feeling these pedals will work well where ever they're placed.

More words after more playing...

JackStraw12

The Black Cat Vibe ended my vibe search. A+ pedal! I use a Moog EP3 with it and it works great, I agree you really need the expression pedal.

Suarkttam

For some reason Suarkttam shipped it with the Tone all the way CCW...
First of all Chankgeez, watch your tone. (get it) And I never did play it that way so, I'm not positive why it would have wound up that way except to say my 8 year old Jakob is fond of turning knobs on my pedals...more power to him I say. I will say though, that on the Bee side I did find myself rolling off a bit of the high end with the tone knob to suit my particular tastes.

chankgeez

:rotflmao

:boxer

Definitely more power to Jakob for playing with pedals.

Yeah, the Bee side is bright. I like how it sizzles with the Tone knob maxed though. I'm about to go do some more playing. So, I'll make some adjustments and find out where I really like it. It's certainly a very effective control though. Gets really dark and muffled with it fully CCW.

chankgeez

Taking a break in playing to mess with the internal settings of the Mona Wah.

Holy tropical fish caps, Batman.

Oh, and before I forget, the glitter sparkle enclosures look fabulous.

Another thing I've found that about the WeeBuzz, the Tone knob seems more effective before noon and the Volume knob more effective after noon. The pedal really starts to sing with the volume past 1:00. Sadly, my microphonic pickups feed back easily with the volume much higher than that. I've also found that with the tone fully CCW (the Suarkbokaj setting) and the volume fully CW it's really beautiful sounding. The volume compensates nicely for the darkened tone.

OK, back to playing. Much experimenting to do.

chankgeez

(Please excuse my ramblin' review style, I hope you good people don't mind.

I'm just puttin' proverbial pen to paper as the thoughts enter my mind.)

Some more words on the Black Cat Vibe:

I'm not sure what else you could possibly ask for in a Vibe that this pedal doesn't have. Nice deep throb (TWSS), I couldn't detect any low end loss. As stunningly gorgeous as it sounds when played with a cleanish tone, it really shines with some dirt (and it sounds great both before and after dirt). I found myself playing with it at mostly lower intensities (both before and after dirt). The speed, I still couldn't get as slow as I'd like, but I suspect most people won't have that problem (and in the Vibe's defense, there's much in the way of modulation pedals that don't get as slow as I'd like). And in addition, as much as I really love slow, it seems this pedal really excels at mid to fast speeds.

All that being said, there's always room for improvement. Here's how I think this pedal may be improved: I know using a toggle to switch between Chorus and Vibrato is semi-traditional, but I'd change that to a footswitch; I'd also add a second LED, having one to indicate whether the effect is engaged or not and one to flash in time with the speed (whether the effect is engaged or not)(there's room for both of those improvements on the current enclosure); I'd also make it so it goes slower. And if I wanted to really go Super Deluxe, I'd somehow shoehorn a tone control on there.

Oh, I should probably add, whether fast or slow the Vibe sounds fantastic into delay.

I've also been switching the pedal order around. The Vibe doesn't seem that picky about placement.

Last edited:

chankgeez

OK, so, I guess this's the final chapter in my Black Cat Tour Box novella:

The WeeBuzz is quite a versatile fuzz for a two knob, one switch jobber. I think I had the most fun with this one (but, then again, I do love fuzz above almost all else). I preferred the Buzz setting for its more saturated, thicker sounds, but the Bee side ain't no slouch either. The Bee is perfect for snotty, aggressive garage, psych and punk tones. (Sounded really fantastic placed before the wah.) A lot of times, I found myself rolling back the tone to about 9:00 (on both settings, but especially the Bee). (Yes, even after making fun of Suarkttam for a setting close to this.) There's a lot of harmonic content to this fuzz and heaps of gain too. Both settings worked very well with chords (power chords for me mostly) and single notes. Very fun.

The Vintage Mona Wah sounded great, as I expected it would. They really did a nice job with the component selection and tuning. Not really my kinda wah due to the shorter throw, but I could definitely work with it if I had to. No disappointments in the least. Extreme high quality mojo inside.

End of story.

... and on to pdodgeTWOSEVENSCLASH ...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom