Black Crowes back on tour

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Phantasmonaut, Dec 25, 2012.

1. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

Check out his band Trigger Hippy on yout8e with Audley Freed, Steve Gorman, Joan Osborne. He's got a bluesy Ford vibe to his lead playing.

2. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Yeah, but does he have the tone. Marc's tone had so much to do with the classic Crowes sound, as much as his playing IMO.

3. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I'm hoping this mini tour will do good things for Trigger Hippy. They seemed to be picking up steam, but since Audley quit they pretty much stalled.
    I was surprised to hear about Jackie being hired as the lead guitarist with the Crowes. I think they'd do much better with more of a designated "lead guitarist" as opposed to more of a really good singer/songwriter who can take an occasional lead.
    There's a guy named Benji Shanks who was supposed to get a shot before Luther joined. He was Paul Stacey's roadie when he was playing with them and they had him learn the songs but never gave him an audition. I wish they would have gone back to that option. He's a GREAT player and I think would do a much better job with their older catalog than Luther ever did. Of course Chris can't sing the old stuff like he used to, so maybe they'll be pretty mellow this go around.

4. BrainDamage

BrainDamage Member

Luther had just about the worst tone possible for a lead guitarist in this band. If Jackie acknowledges the existence of the bridge pickup on his guitars that will already be an improvement over Luther.

5. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

Without Marc and Ed The Crowes are just a bunch of lost birds.

6. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Ever catch them live with Luther? His live tone is pretty awesome especially with the NMAS.

7. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Agreed.

8. Colors

Colors Member

Agree. His live tone is better than studio. From those 2010 Fillmore shows:

9. BrainDamage

BrainDamage Member

Yeah, nine times. His tone just always seemed to lack the punch that is necessary on a number of the Marc-era songs. Sometimes his sound worked (High Head Blues and Another Roadside Tragedy are good examples), but on a lot of the songs that need a more aggressive sound he just didn't cut it in my opinion.

10. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

Took me a long time to get used to Luther's tone. No spice, just as plain as plain can be. Whatever amp he uses should be called the Vanilla model.

11. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Tough to say what he would have done with the newer material (which I thought Luther did a good job on for the most part) but go to the solo at about 3:30 and imagine what this guy would have done with the older songs.

12. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

Sorry...Am I supposed to know who that is?

13. BrainDamage

BrainDamage Member

Benji Shanks. The Crowes apparently told him to learn the catalog when they were looking to replace Paul Stacey but never gave him an audition.

14. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

Ok. That's who I thought it was but I didnt know. I like him alot. Im still not seeing the reason for choosing Jackie Greene. I guess Ill find out at the 930 club in DC.

15. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Yep. He was Paul's guitar tech when he briefly took over for Marc Ford before Luther joined. They also did this to Jeff Sipe who was going to replace Bill Dubrow before Gorman came back. They had him learn all the drum parts and he was just about to head out and join them on tour when he got the call that Gorman rejoined.

16. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

How cool would have been to have Alvin Youngblood Hart (Alvis) this go 'round. MONSTER player with good classic Crowes type tone. Great with a slide too.

17. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

I saw Sheryl at a private party in October, in Vegas. Audley was playing. I was lucky enough to join the other band on stage, so I got to hang out backstage. I almost swallowed my bottle of beer when he walked by- I had no idea he was playing with her.

18. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

meh... SYMM was their highwater mark for me, I could care less who actually played lead. It was well done for the songs, like CCR good. But the Crowes have always been a tribute band to the Faces IMHO. A damn good tribute band, but still 90% of their sound/style was modeled after the Faces.

The problem I have with the post-SYMM albums is the songwriting. It's like they just sit down, call a key and start babbling.

19. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Sorry, but that's ridiculous IMO. Influenced, yes. Copiers, no way. Tribute band are essentially straight up clones of the band they love...right? How are the Crowes a clone of anyone? There are influences ranging from Rock, R&B, and even Country. But to say their a Faces tribute band is silly.

20. goneracin

goneracin Supporting Member

now this is a good idea. I love the AYH stuff