Black Crowes - Been a Long Time

Taller

Gold Supporting Member
Many of you know that the last Crowes album was recorded live in Levon Helms barn/studio.
Naysayers have a field day arguing about who should be the lead guitarist of the band (Marc, Luther, and Audley all had/have a place as far as I'm concerned), but let there be no doubt that Luther is one badass guitar player and this cut is awe inspiring from a compositional point of view - the solo takes off, builds, and resolves in one beautiful piece of work.
Dig:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ooCI3yXhU

Two-Octave

Luther doesn't do any singing on Cabin Fever. With North Mississippi Allstars he's pretty much the only singer. Don't know why I noticed that, but I did.

JRC4558Dude

I picked up the DVD last week. It's a collosal rip-off. I haven't been so disappointed with a BC release since I bought "Before the Frost.." :(

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
That is my favorite tune on the new album. I personally think that Luther's best solo is on Make Glad...really fits in nicely. I do like Luther, but for me it has always been Marc Ford. Love the Crowes nomatter who is in there though.

BrainDamage

^^Nope, Joe Magistro. He played percussion with them for the two Town Hall shows in 2008, three of the five Cabin Fever sessions, and seven shows on the 2009 tour.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
Great stuff. I love this record, and Luther plays well on it. Appaloosa is my favorite song.

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
I picked up the DVD last week. It's a collosal rip-off. I haven't been so disappointed with a BC release since I bought "Before the Frost.." :(
I kind of agree. That DVD is kind of like an EP. Just way too short and really leaves a lot of good songs out. Would have been nice to get more documentary footage too.

I don't necessarily think it's a ripoff. What's there is great. But there should be more. MISSED OPPORTUNITY.

BrainDamage

I don't necessarily think it's a ripoff. What's there is great. But there should be more. MISSED OPPORTUNITY.
I agree. I think it's a solid DVD overall, and I'm glad to see the stuff that didn't make the album- Little Lizzie Mae, Oh! Sweet Nuthin', The Dolphins, and that great acoustic take of Shady Grove with just Chris and Rich, but this could have made a great multi-disc set with all that was recorded for the album. This band has a history of making poor choices with officially released stuff though, so I'm not really surprised. Maybe one day they'll come to their senses and give us a Cabin Fever box set with all five sessions :drool

JRC4558Dude

I agree. This band has a history of making poor choices with officially released stuff though, so I'm not really surprised. Maybe one day they'll come to their senses and give us a Cabin Fever box set with all five sessions :drool
That's true. I absolutely love the Freak and Roll DVD, and I think the band was at the height of their powers in 2005/06. But, the song selection on the record is kind of a drag. I can think of a lot of songs I'd rather hear than 'She Talks to Angels'...

BrainDamage

I absolutely love the Freak and Roll DVD, and I think the band was at the height of their powers in 2005/06.
Oh, absolutely. I think some of the best shows they ever played took place in that year and a half of touring. The setlist variety was by far the best of their career, the covers rocked, and most of all, the playing was fantastic.

But, the song selection on the record is kind of a drag. I can think of a lot of songs I'd rather hear than 'She Talks to Angels'...
Yeah, true, but I'd think part of that is the fact that that show was specifically set aside to be filmed, so they probably wrote up a setlist that could cater to a more casual fan. Even so, it's still a nice set...Halfway opener is always great, No Speak No Slave, Loving Cup for the first (and only) time, My Morning Song, the rarely played Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz, acoustic Cursed Diamond, and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, which hadn't been played since 1997 at the time, but it does look a little weak compared to what they were playing at the time. I mean, take a look at the monster sets they played just three and four days later. That's not the worst of the blunders though...kicking Pastoral off Three Snakes in favor of Blackberry? Dumping material that was supposedly in the same vein as Three Snakes and Band in favor of creating a record in order to "get back to being 17", and for that matter, not releasing Band in the first place? Also, with the Lost Crowes release, not only was it poorly mixed (which killed the dynamics of the Band album that was supposed to be released in 1997), but where are Title Song, Bitter Bitter You, Grinnin' (the original version), and Exit from the Tall sessions?

Last edited:

McFuzzwell

Silver Supporting Member
That is my favorite tune on the new album. I personally think that Luther's best solo is on Make Glad...really fits in nicely. I do like Luther, but for me it has always been Marc Ford. Love the Crowes nomatter who is in there though.
Been A Long Time is my favorite track from the new album as well. Having seen most incarnations of the Crowes I think the latest is by far the best...Luther fits in nicely and I like his tones and diversity.

No matter who is filling the lead guitar slot in this band (& I think it's one of the ultimate gigs for a lead player) I keep coming back to Rich Robinson; That dude simply is the finest rhythm player you can find...amazing feel, timing & tone. When he does step out and take the spotlight I almost always prefer his solos - something raw and gutsy about 'em.

And there has to be an honorable mention for Larry Campbell...utlility knife anyone!?!

Holliman

Triad Abuser
I keep coming back to Rich Robinson; That dude simply is the finest rhythm player you can find...amazing feel, timing & tone. When he does step out and take the spotlight I almost always prefer his solos - something raw and gutsy about 'em.

And there has to be an honorable mention for Larry Campbell...utlility knife anyone!?!
Big time +1... Ever notice that when Rich does solo how similar it sounds to Marc's style. They only lived together on a bus for how many years?

Trending Topics