Black Crowes in Atlanta

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wingwalker, Jul 21, 2013.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Anybody else see them last night???

Anybody know what that song was the played...around the 5th song or so??

I knew everything they did save for that tune...

2. moonrock

moonrock Member

Fifth song was She Talks to Angels, sixth was Magic Rooster Blues, which is prob the one you meant.

3. moonrock

moonrock Member

Unbelievably epic show last night. Only caught a couple of songs from The London Souls, but they sounded great.

TTB is one of the best live bands I've ever heard. Their set was incredible.

The Crowes were on fire. Jackie is easily the weakest lead player they've ever had. Adam just plain sucks. In spite of that, they killed it last night.

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thats it!!!

what album is that on??

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I agree about Jackie...love the Crowes but thought they were at a low with Luther on lead guitar but last night changed my mind...I think Jackie is a good player but he's not right for the Crowes IMHO.

Adam...I don't know that he sucks but he's not a great fit either.

That said, it was a great show, total blast and just a great show.

6. moonrock

moonrock Member

MRB is on the Brothers of a Feather disc.

7. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

"Magic Rooster Blues" has been played live on and off since '06 and can also be found on several Live Download discs.

8. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Setlist.fm

(corrected, thanks for the head's up)

Sting Me
    Twice as Hard
    Cursed Diamond
    Black Moon Creeping
    She Talks to Angels
    Magic Rooster Blues
    Wiser Time
    Descending
    Jumpin' Jack Flash
    (The Rolling Stones cover)
    Hotel Illness
    Jealous Again
    Remedy
    Hard to Handle
    (Otis Redding cover)
    Hush
    (Billy Joe Royal cover)
    Encore:
    Show Me
    (Joe Tex cover) (with Tedeschi Trucks Band)
    Turn on Your Lovelight
    (Bobby Bland cover) (with Tedeschi Trucks Band)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  9. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

I did not realize that Jackie Green was with the BC.
    I do not really follow all that "stuff".
    Seems odd to me, but I suppose the band (or at least the brothers) liked the way he fit in...

10. moonrock

moonrock Member

That was from their earlier show this year at the Tabernacle.They played at Verizon in Alpharetta last night.

11. Rusrant

Rusrant Member

Yeah, great show. I thought Jackie did well, but not the best lead player. That said, he fits the band well.

12. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

I was there.

So Phish 2x this week and then this show...all in Alpharetta. A nice week of concerts for me. All 15mins from my house. :D

Here's my $0.02:

The London Souls are a great band, I knew that going in. Go get there 2011 CD if you don't already have it. I thought there set was a little weak in the middle...but I fully expect these guys to get bigger and I was really digging them. Trios rock!

TTB: Just awesome. I was devastated by their awesomeness. I could have easily watched another hour.

BC's: I'll start out by saying that I'm not a huge BC's fan. I like a lot of their stuff, but I think the band can get a little grating after a while....I love the CRB stuff so who knows what my problem is.

First, let's just agree that anyone who has to follow DT in the lead gtr slot is going to sound a little weak. That said, I like Jackie's playing in general, but I agree he's not the best fit. I heard the London stuff I thought the same thing right away. FWIW I really liked Luther and really dug his playing on Before the Frost....would of liked to heard him last night.

They were waaay louder than any of the other bands.

On the set, while there were a few "deep tracks" it seemed kinda greatest hits heavy. It's my first time seeing them and I was a little surprised the set didn't dig a little deeper into their catalog. The setlist above isn't from last nights show. It's here. Still, lots of the hits in the Tab set too.

Maybe with this being almost a festival-type show, no new CD to push and a Tom Petty type of responsibility to play the hits for the fans, maybe thats what they do. Again, I'm a noob seeing them live...but hey do record and sell their shows ala Phish so I was expecting less hits and more of a deeper dive. I guess it's a me issue, but that was my impression.

Finally, along the lines of digging deeper into a catalogue, it was (IMO) an awful choice to play one of the most beat to death Stone's songs in Jumping Jack Flash. Same complaint...the RS's have a ton of songs that are way less tired, pick any of them. People seemed to like it, I found it totally uninspiring.

Overall I did dig them and the show over all.

moonrock - I always forget there is at least one other TGP member in Cumming. Small world.

13. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Was a fun show. I thought the Derek's tone was the worst I've ever heard it courtesy of the FOH engineer. He filtered out all the sweet lows and made it so harsh and shrill sounding. I think Derek would have been appalled hearing what I heard from the lawn. Maybe it sounded different closer.

I was surprised to hear the Crowes do all their hits. Was good to hear them though.

That newer guitarist they have is good but I don't think he fits at all. I think they can do better and need someone more appropriate.

The London Souls were great!!!

14. moonrock

moonrock Member

I thought JJF was fun especially the woo woos, I too was surprised they played a lot of hits. I was preparing my date to be disappointed, I told her not to expect many and they made a liar out of me. I thought the bit Adam did in Wiser Time stunk.

15. moonrock

moonrock Member

[​IMG]Set from last night

16. sovtekking

sovtekking Member

Yeah, what exactly what were they thinking with this new guy? He sounds like he came from a bad Grateful dead cover band. Where is Audley when you need him?!?!?

17. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

Please get Marc Ford back in the Crowes. Oh please oh please

18. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Not that they die (thank goodness) but guitar players for this band seem to suffer a vicious turnover.....like piano players for The Dead.
    But yeah, I watch that video with Marc Ford and am still impressed.
    Would have been a great tour to see.
    best

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  19. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

+1.

Unfortunately, it will never happen.

Im seeing the show in Raleigh on tuesday. Ill be sure to give a review once I get back.

20. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

No offense, but why wouldn't TBC play all their hits? They've become a nostalgia act, just like many of the "classic rock" bands of the 70's and 80's. Like the modern day renditions of the Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. there's fewer original band members in The Crowes' lineup than replacements. Not too mention, w/o Marc Ford they'll never sound remotely close to what was one of the best bands in the past 40 years.