Black Crowes in Atlanta

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wingwalker, Jul 21, 2013.

1. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I'll be there too!

I'm sure I'll have a good time since I like Jackie Greene, (I liked Luther too...), have no issues with Adam, and I'm not pining for past band members who left eight years ago. (I find living in the now vs. wishing about what once was eliminates a lot of disappointment in life. ;) ). Hell, The Crowes are really the Robinson brothers. So many other guys have passed through the band over the years that I don't even think about "original vs. replacement" players. Even the classic Southern Harmony line up wasn't the "original" band.

Though I do agree that it would be nice if they were mixing up the sets more on this tour and giving us some deeper cuts. It's been pretty much the same set since they hit the road last spring. They only have about a half dozen songs (at most) that could be considered "hits", they could play those every night and it still leaves room for a lot of other songs.

Actually, I predict it will be a rockin' show by the Black Crowes. :D

2. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I love Marc Ford as well, and I think Audley was just as great with some of the stuff he contributed.

But I saw Marc twice with the band, and it became a bad Dead/Phish show. It was terrible both times. It seems when Marc is there they change who they are to appease him so he can stand out and that ruins the vibe of the band, at least for me. And I love Marc's playing.

But the songs were at least 2-3 minutes longer, each of them, fueled by guitar wank.

Marc filled each bit of space they gave him on record with greatness. But live, he takes it beyond where it needs to go. Too much wank. Just my opinion on it. I saw him probably 3 weeks before he left the band last time and I wanted to leave 7 songs in. I can't imagine that, but they became a really awful jam band at that point.

3. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

None taken bro.....last time I saw them they didn't do as many. I was under the impression maybe they were more into doing current material but I am glad they did what they did. I enjoyed it.

4. lustycourtier

lustycourtier Member

I saw them at the first show back a few months ago in manchester. It was one of the greatest shows Ive ever seen. Jackie was great, but lost. I hoped that wouldnt still be the case.

5. PBC

PBC Member

I missed this past Friday's show but caught the Tab show earlier this year, it was somewhere in the nature of the 25th time I've seen the Crowes over the years and the first time I've caught them since Jackie Greene joined up. I'll preface this by saying I'm biased as I'm a huge Luther and NMAS fan, but in spite of that I thought Jackie did a good job. A friend of mine who has seen them as many times as I and also has a soft spot for the good old days long since past said it best, "Jackie is good, he plays the parts and hits the notes but he doesn't really put any feeling into it. It's like he's scared to put any more emphasis than what is written on the chart into the music." To which I also thought that he's playing scared, he's hitting his notes but he's trying not to stand out or rather more stand to deep on top of Rich's shadow. He reminds me of someone working hard at being average to keep a job.

BTW I live in Canton, Ga

6. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

The Black Crowes just aren't as good when Rich is the best lead guitarist. I can't believe they didn't bother trying out more guys for the lead spot and just gave it to Jackie. I've been saying for years that they should have hired Benji Shanks, who was Paul Stacey's guitar tech. He was supposed to try out before they got Luther, but they blew him off.

7. LPSlinger

LPSlinger Member

Last night in Charlotte they played the longest Wiser Time I've ever seen (or heard on a recording). It wasn't Marc pushing them to jam...Chris and Rich have been all about that since about 1992 (except for about 1998-2000 when they were "rediscovering" their rock & roll roots and Audley Freed happened to be their lead guitar player).

I thought Jackie Greene did a decent job. Was a little weird to see the Black Crowes with a guitar player who was using a music stand, but I'm sure it's a lot of stuff to remember for a new guy. I think Jackie relied pretty heavily on playing fast, repeated licks rather than melodic lines...but he did himself proud and the songs justice for the most part in my opinion. He certainly has enough "Rock & Roll" in him for the songs they played last night. I thought his soloing on Hard To Handle is the best I've ever heard from any of the Crowes' various guitar players over the years (and this is coming from a HUGE Marc Ford nut). I think if they keep playing for a couple of years he'll be a really good fit. He just needs to get a bit more integrated and confident in his place in the band.

I'm not usually a fan of the "greatest hits" types shows, but they changed up their songs enough to make it really interesting IMO. Hard to Handle->Hush is a really cool transition and works well. Jackie playing Mandolin on She Talks To Angels made me actually appreciate the song again. To me the real star was Rich. He's stepped up his lead guitar game BIG TIME. I always thought he was a little noodly and uninspired and pretty much lost interest whenever he took his solos. But last night he threw down. It was by far the best I've ever heard him play lead guitar, incredibly interesting and melodic.

8. frennis

frennis Member

I've seen the Black Crowes live with Paul Stacey, Luther Dickenson, and earlier this year with Jackie on guitar and I have the DVD with Marc Ford. Each guy puts their own style on the parts they play, and I don't get why Jackie is getting such negative criticism. I thought he sounded great.
    The band is the Robinson's and the great Steve Gorman. The rest is just different flavors added to the top, and it's interesting to hear what the revolving guitar players add.

I do wish he would lose the music stand already though...I think it's been enough time to learn the songs. When I saw them he had just started, and I don't think he looked at it more than a couple of times in that show...

9. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

That's a killer setlist!

10. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

I still think the best replacement for Marc Ford would be Peter Stroud. That dude that used to play w/ Lenny Kravitz would probably be a good fit as well. What ever happend to that guy? I think his name was Craig Something...

11. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Standing in front of the Crowes, no better place on earth. Not your bag=more floor room for me.

12. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Craig Ross. He played a little on Lions and also did Sweet Pickle Salad with Chris, Marc, Jimmy Ashurst and the Jellyfish guys. Craig also plays a little on MF's It's About Time album. Makes too much money not playing with Leonard Kravitz.
    I also think Peter Stroud would be perfect, but I can't see any way anyone would leave Sheryl Crowe's band (Who I guess includes Audley now) to play with the Robinson brothers.

13. evildik

evildik Member

Glad to see Steve getting some love. That guy is fantastic.

14. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

While I do love these 3, that's pretty much the "band" that made Lions. When those 3 (really just the brothers) have allowed others to contribute, they've made albums like Southern Harmony, Amorica, etc. They are very good and don't necessarily NEED others to be good, but they can be great with the addition of the right people. Hiring a friend who plays in another band with one of the guys to do something he's not really known for without even trying out other lead guitarists? Had to be more about convenience and money than anything.

15. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Steve Gorman so important to the Crowes, fantastic drummer

16. evildik

evildik Member

Am I the only Crowes fan who actually enjoys Lions? Admittedly, the production can sound bad on the wrong stereo, but with the right system, I like it a lot.

17. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Then again, as I constantly read here, people want bandmates who get along and are a "good hang". Jackie can play, and I imagine he fell right in with them. Why bother with dealing with a hired gun lead guitarist (who I will give you, would probably would cost more...) when you can just have a bud hit the road with you?
    (I don't imagine Chris & Rich sit around discussing how guys on internet forums don't approve of their choices in bandmates.;))

18. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Oh I'm sure C&R could care less about what their fans think. It's not so much that I don't approve of the choice, as I think it's potentially great for Trigger Hippy which I really like. Especially when Audley was in the band. But I am disappointed and a little let down by the choice. For me, The Black Crowes were/are one of my favorite bands around and I personally would love for them to have a guitarist with the ability to take their songs to another level. He (or she for that matter) doesn't necessarily have to have the initials "MF" but there's enough examples throughout the history of the band where this type of guitarist has made them a much better band. I think Jackie is really good in the other things he's done (I absolutely LOVE the Skinny Singers album he did with Tim Bluhm from Mother Hips!) but I just don't see him ever being this type of lead guitarist in the Crowes. He's basically about as good in the lead guitar spot as Bill Dobrow was on drums when they got back together in 05. Bill did OK but Chris almost constantly would turn around and yell at him about something. He only lasted a couple of months before Marc Ford called Gorman and talked him into coming back. I honestly think if Jackie didn't have the connections he has, he would have been sent home with his music stand a few months ago and they would have hired someone better and more familiar with their catalog.

19. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Hell no. You're not the only one.

It's an uneven record, but it contains two of my favourite BC songs, "Soul Singing" and "Cypress Tree".

20. evildik

evildik Member

...And Lickin, and No Use Lying, and Miracle to Me...

Good stuff.