Black Crowes in Atlanta

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wingwalker, Jul 21, 2013.

1. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Midnight from the inside out is one of my top 5 favorite Crowes songs!

2. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

Geetar players,schmeetar players.....

Those people come and go man. Can you sing?

Alrighty then. Chris can sing.

:rotflmao

3. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

Interesting discussion. I went to the Nashville show, and my main observations were:

(1.) Wow, the sound man TRASHED Derek's tone. Why?? Susan sounded fantastic, especially on that humbucker-equipped guitar. Derek was playing great as usual, but he sounded like unfiltered Mexican cigarettes.

(2.) Jackie had the right spirit onstage, seemed to have fun and interact better than most of their previous lead players, but he gets a very pinchy tone with his right hand and doesn't go for the big notes or wail better than Rich. Seems like an odd choice. (I went in consciously rooting for him, and I still hope he finds his mojo.)

4. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

The Crowes sounded great last night! When I see Chris looking over at Jackie, nodding and smiling while doing his hippie dance I think they have they guy they want in the band.

IMO The Black Crowes don't need a "lead guitar player" they need someone to be a guitar player in The Black Crowes, and Jackie fits the bill.

Here's to looking forward to CRB and Trigger Hippie tours after the Crowes are done with this go around.

5. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

Back to the original post, this is the song you liked. It sounds like they've done a little rearranging of the song this tour.

And here it is in '06 with Marc Ford. Marc used a b-bender tele on the song (actually Rich's guitar that he uses on Black Moon Creeping). I was at the show at Red Rocks in '06 that was Marc's last show. His amp died just before this song and it just didn't sound complete without his fills for most of the song.

6. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I saw the Crowes in 06 and it was one of the best live shows Ive witnessed.. The difference in a 2006 My Morning Song vs. last night were night and day.

06 was waay more improvised jamming. They sound great as usual but they've toned down some of spacey stuff :(

7. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Member

Ok. So I went to the show last night in Raleigh and had a night to sleep on my thoughts. These are just my opinions so be kind.

The London Souls:

Some was interesting, some wasnt. They have a cool groove but nothing I havent heard before. Ill pass.

TTB:

Holy Hell! Of course Derek was great. I thought his tone was pretty spot on and he filled space perfectly. Kind of a Miles Davis thing...he knew when to let Susan take control. Susan was what I was most impressed with during the whole evening. That was the best live vocal I have ever heard! I really thought she was incredible. The band did amazing also...very tight. Best act of the night.

TBC:

Im a big Luther fan and I really respect MF. I had really high hopes after Jackie really tore it up on "Feelin Alright" (the opening number). Then he went flat. It was really a rollercoaster of lead playing for him. One tune he would just kill a lead and then he would fall horribly short. It was obvious in the crowd reaction everyone else felt it too. Hopefully, he can grow and become more versatile. I think he has the chops but he's still getting comfortable. I think hes good for the band based on their interactions and smiles during his lead.

Chris and Rich were great as well. Rich actually looked like he was having fun! Big surprise for me. Chris' voice also sounded alot better to me than when I saw them in 2010.

Adam I just didnt get last night. I think the CRB bug has burrowed into his brain. Just didnt fit what was going on during his solos. His rhythm was fine and I think Chris was really digging the weirdness of it...but Rich's face was priceless!

All in all, great show! The 2010 show still stands out as better.

And now Im a die hard TTB fan boy!

8. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I will go on record saying "I don't like reserved seating at red hat" The zombies on research chems pushed me out of my seat the the yellow shirted security people would prod you around like cattle.

contrast Widespread Panic .. same venue but GA. totally more fun

Derek and Susan KILLED . crowd was light and my seats were fantastic ( till the zombies showed up after crowes started)