Black Crowes OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleking36, Jun 25, 2006.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I'm wondering what pedal best suits the OD and crunch that Rich Robinson and Marc Ford supply. I know Rich is known for using the Harry Joyce stuff; is he getting his OD from the amp or pedals, or both? Same with Marc Ford and his Roccaforte. Do they use an extensive array of pedals or does most of their OD tones come from their amps?

2. Frethog

Frethog Member

As loud as those guys play, it has to be mostly amps. But I am curious as well.

3. teleking36

I'm floored by the sounds they get both live and in the studio. The songs that made me think of this thread are primarily "Sometimes Salvation" and "Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye", as well as a number of others off of SYMM and SH&MC.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Marc Ford uses Analogman stuff, IIRC - I'm guessing most of his dirt comes from the amps, with a Sunface for fuzz tones...

5. DK207

DK207 Member

I think Rich has an AM sunlion

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Cranked amps and a fuzz. Seriously, I can get there with my Twin and a fuzz face, but the neighbors don't like it!!!

7. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Go to www.amorica.org and click into the musician's corner section. Their is a very comprehensive articale(s) about 15 pages long with interviews and pictures going through their entire career right up to the current tour. It was compiled by Kymcypress who also posts here and is a fellow amorican. Marc favors fuzz pedals-both fuzz face and tone bender style and also treble boosters along with wah and tape echo. He has also used a TS-9 and a TS-10 in the past and a Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe. He plays Les Pauls(humbucker and P-90 equipped), Strats, Teles, Esquires, SG's, vintage Supro and Silvertones and many other classic axes. My biggest influence and the resaon behind my current pedal choices and rig.

8. mgrier1

mgrier1 Member

Marc Ford uses a few key Analogman boxes that vary from show to show, but generally revolve around the KOT, Sunlion, Sunface, and Beano Boost...

See Mike's site for more details...

BTW, get the new DVD - amazing and not optional if you are even remotely a BC fan...

Mike

9. teleking36

I'm a ridiculously huge fan of the Black Crowes. Easily one of my top 5 favorite bands. I lust for both Marc and Rich's tones, but for some strange reason, I don't really follow their paths in terms of gear. I'm REALLY into EL84s; love the chimey, crisp tone, and I play a lot of roots-rock and alt. country stuff, similar to Ryan Adams/Counting Crows/Wallflowers, etc. But the BC really do it for me tone-wise. I can't get enough of them!

- Dr. Z Prescription ES head -> (4)EL84s, EF86 front end, 45 watts, VERY aggressive amp.

- Z Best 2x12 loaded w/ Weber 30w Alnico Silver Bell + G12H30.

- Using a Timmy for light/medium OD, and OCD/'69 for lead work.

- '00 USA Ash tele w/ Nocaster p'ups

If there's a way to use my current rig to beef up a sound similar to either Rich or Marc, show me the way.

BTW, I've got great seats to see them July 23rd in Boston. Looking forward to that!

10. teleking36

I got the DVD the day it came out. Definitely an avid fan's DVD.

11. todd richman

I see I have to call Scotty today and confirm the Dual Drive-this would be a new development and certainly a great pedal choice-looks like I may be re-purchasing a Pro Analog pedal or 2 this week! Also still waiting for the Keeley Compressor rumor from a fan who saw the show at the Greek Theatre in L.A. last week...

12. teleking36

I'd love to listen to this. Do you have a taping you could send me? I don't have anything to trade on amorica...

13. bubblygum

bubblygum Member

I don't know what Marc's been using since the start of this leg of the tour but you can clearly see on the recent DVD that he was using a Roger Mayer Page-1 and a Roger Mayer Concorde+ Treble Booster.

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I have a Harry Joyce Custom 50 on the way. Rich uses a ton of amps in the studio, but the HJ's are where it's at for his live tone. You can get about 80% of the way there with that amp and a good Tele or 335. The rest will depend on your chops. The HJ's are as unforgiving as it gets. If you don't have your chops up, the HJ will send you packing. That is also part of what makes those amps great.

15. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I was getting in the neighborhood with a Klon Centaur into a JTM-45 Plexi-style 50 watt head. However, it was too loud (for me) to be practical. Something tells me that there's no good way to get around the dB issue when it concerns Rich Robinson-style tone. That being said, my best friend (also a rabid BC/RR fan) has been doing well with a Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1, and at much more reasonable volumes than cranking the amp or using my Klon. Upon his recommendation, I decided to try it myself. I'll report back, as I'm still waiting for it....

Best,

Doc :)

16. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Rich Robinson plays LOUD. That's a huge part of his tone. He's also a well known Fulldrive user.

Marc uses some Mayer stuff, and also uses a Blackbox Inferno. He's no longer using any Analog Man, or the Mojo Vibe.

17. todd richman

Uh-oh! Here we go again. Is the Blackbox confirmed. This is unbelievable-I thought I was bad with switching pedals several times in a year!!! Now we have rumors of Dual Drive, Keeley Comp and Inferno-more info needed. Maybe Marc will read this-he does read questions over at www.marcford.net under the "Ask Marc" section of his Forum.

18. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Yes the Blackbox Inferno is confirmed. I personally saw it, and talked to Marc about it. I've never heard anything about the Dual Drive or Keeley Comp. I really doubt that Marc would use a compressor. He's very much a fuzz and treble booster guy.

19. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Marc is kind of on a pedal kick right now. He's been trying lots of different things. I think part of the reason he is trying new pedals is because he's not using the Roccaforte anymore. I assume he's trying to match pedals to the new amps.

I do know that the Mayer stuff and the Blackbox have remained constant for quite a while.

20. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

No, Marc is no longer using the Roccaforte amps. Rumour is that his main one "blew up" and after that he's switched to other amps. The "switch" happened a couple of months ago. He's using a couple of different combos now.