Black Crowes with Jackie Greene..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kolbyt85, May 22, 2013.

1. kolbyt85

kolbyt85 Supporting Member

Saw them last night in chattanooga tn and very disappointed. Jackie Greene looked like he didn't know what was going on and didn't play up to par for me. I was hoping to see Luther Dickenson who in my opinion dominates Jackie on slide and lead. Just an FYI for anyone looking to see great lead, this might not be the show for u

2. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

IDK....This is the first negative reviewnI've seen regarding JG with the Crowes.
    We have tickets for them and Tedeschi/Trucks. Can't wait to see them..

You say you we're hoping to see Luther,he's been out of the picture for a bit now...So maybe your let down was due partly to not being informed in the first place.
    Or maybe JG was having an off night. We all do

3. woof*

woof* Member

I've seen a ton of YouTube vids with him.
    I didn't care for him either.

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I thought Jackie did just fine in Orlando a couple weeks ago. Great show IMHO.

I am gonna guess he just had an off night.

5. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

I was pleasantly surprised with him at the 1st Chicago show a couple months back. Seemed a bit tentative, but when he settled in he sounded really nice. Maybe just an off night?

6. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I saw them Saturday night at Hangout Fest and everyone thought they seemed energized and absolutely kicked ass from start to finish. He played well, and for the songs and hit all the cues.

7. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Supporting Member

He was amazing when I saw them 3 weeks ago in Palm Beach. Really kicked ass on everything.

8. Aldo

Aldo Member

I prefer Luther to Jackie. I think Luther is a better gtr player, but I thought Jackie acquitted himself well. Luther & Band were thoroughly locked after years of touring. Jackie seems to be learning on the fly. I also know I'm being hyper critical on this. The people I went with didn't know or care either way.

9. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Yea, gotta either be an off night or perhaps something unique to your experience. Im a huge luther fan but I'll readily admit that when I saw them in Nashville Jackie killed it.

Maybe he took shrooms before the show or something??

10. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

This was my impression of the Dallas show. Was annoyed by his music stand, but thought he did a solid job, no major flubs, nice tone, cool guitar collection. Being a huge Marc fan, I was ready to judge him harshly. Left the show feeling pretty good, though.

11. kolbyt85

Haha. Yea maybe he had an off night. I have listened to warpaint religiously and use to hearing Luther's slide playing. I just prefer it I guess. But maybe he was messed up or something lol he had a confused , lost, surprised look on his face the whole night it seemed

12. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

He sounded fine in Dallas a few weeks ago, and I was ready to hate him!

13. rdswb

rdswb Member

Must have been an off night. I saw them the 2nd night at Terminal5 in NYC. Fantastic show btw. I thought Jackie was really good, although he did understandably get lost a few times. His tone was excellent, and really fit the high energy, more focused jamming style they appear to be favoring this time around perfectly. That said, I do prefer what Luther brought to the table, as I enjoy that syle of jamming more...but do wish Luther on occasion used the cutting tone that Jackie is going with. It's a different vibe, but still very TBC. It's all good.

14. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Love all incarnations of the band for various reasons

How is it Jackie came to the Crowes?
    I hadnt heard of him til this Crowes tour, then went a got a few cds.
    His solo releases arent what I expected. Though, diverse and interesting. But not what I thought the Crowes would 'recruit' from.
    Another connection to the band?

15. moonrock

moonrock Member

They had a night off before that show, they posted a pic of them at the Braves game here in ATL, the whole band was there as well as Jimmy Herring and Brit Turner from Blackberry Smoke. In the pic Jackie looked like he was high as a kite.But, I'm not terribly familiar with Jackie, so maybe thats how he always looks.

16. Jed B

Jed B Supporting Member

blah, blah, blah.......what was his rig (this is TGP after all)?

17. kolbyt85

Pretty sure it was a Marshall plexi head and marshall cab. Also had a two rock head and orange cab beside that. He may have been running them both but im not sure. He changed guitars like every other song.

18. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Supporting Member

1968 Marshall JMP50 Lead Spec head and a Victoria head on top of that that didn't seem to be on for most of my show, both run into a Marshall RI 4x12 straight cab, and a 100 watt Two Rock Custom Reverb(?) into an Orange 4x12 for cleans. Switched with an ABY as far as I can tell from a quick glance at his board, but I think he was only using a wah and the ABY was left on to split his signal so both amps were always on (TR and Marshall) when I saw him. I couldn't spot most of the pedals on his board but it was a a PT-3 custom painted with oil paints, as was his wah, and I spotted a Strymon Lex.

19. dmr34

dmr34 Member

Lots of connections. Jackie plays in Trigger Hippy with Steve Gorman, the Crowes drummer. Jackie also has fronted Phil Lesh and Friends, as has Chris Robinson. Finally, Chris, Jackie and Bob Weir have played together as a trio several times.

20. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Cool. Thank you.
    Thought there must have been something